It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't really know anything about this subject; so pardon my ignorance in advance...

If this also applies to Canada, I'm all for it.

I was told a while ago that immigrants come into this country and pack as many relatives as possible into one house, as they receive welfare from the tax payer's pocket. I was also told that a lot of these immigrants move back to their homeland and keep getting the cheques/checks while not even living in this country, and even having another stream of income back at their homeland.

This is beyond wrong in my opinion. Just as wrong that we let it happen.

If by doing this (having census workers the right to enter without warrant) some of these people can be caught, deported and banned from our country, I'm all for it.

Come on in!

Note: This has nothing to do with race, so don't even try to go there.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm in Australia, and I was a census worker for the last census.

It was explained very clearly what was required of us in terms of confidentiality, and if anything was locked you didn't even attempt to bypass it.

I haven't looked into the law as far as entry when no one is home goes, but I doubt that was permitted.

MM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Can someone please toss a hoax flag on this before someone else gets shot? This is getting ridiculous.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
This is a HOAX rumor.

The real facts are here:

2010 Census.gov

"Most importantly, the Census Bureau will NEVER, under any circumstances, ask to enter your home."

Restated again. This should be moved to the HOAX forum.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

I agree i dont know where the OP got this information but i went to an orientation as well, and was told the same thing, i was alos told jokingly that if someone especially a gov worker was to enter a home without permission that they better be an olpympic runner
the census organizatin does not condone or support entering someones private residence to gather census information.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Why is everyone so upset about this? The federal government can do anything these days because Obama says it's OK.

Obama can do anything because he is a god or everyone that voted for him thinks he is.

America wanted him in there and now they can have him.

Stop your whining. If you don't like it, register to vote if you haven't and then use this precious right in November before we can't one day.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Why is everyone so upset about this? The federal government can do anything these days because Obama says it's OK.

Obama can do anything because he is a god or everyone that voted for him thinks he is.

Stop your whining. If you don't like it, register to vote if you haven't and then use this precious right in November before we can't one day.

Does it give you any concern that the very topic you are commenting on has absolutely no basis in reality? This is a fine example of what propaganda can do to people.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In my lease, it states that the landlord is NEVER allowed to enter without first giving notice to the tenant. As well, it says that the only time the landlord is allowed to enter the apartment without the tenant's implicit permission is the last 30 days in which the landlord is allowed to show the apartment to potential renters.

So, no... they couldn't get in with only the permission of the landlord, atleast not according to my lease.

I wouldn't sign a lease that said otherwise.

As well, if I found anyone in my apartment while I wasn't home, I would sue the landlord and I would win.

I suggest you landlords start finding a way to get a law passed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I'm beginning to understand why the Federal Govt. want's more monitoring of message boards. This is getting ridiculous. Once again, for those who won't read the comments posted earlier in this thread, the article is a HOAX.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, I asked my daughter to read this. She tells me, that if a person continues to dodge doing the census, and the worker knows that the person is home, that person could face a fine of between 250-500 dollars(more on this below). Most of the higher level enumerators will not push the issue, and they will go to the local court house and check the records, for the information. She says that what the article is stating, she has never heard of them doing this, as it is not part of the training they have to take. It may be as she sees it, a cesus worker who is pushing their authority why past the limit of the real power they have. That is why they are trained to go to the local court houses if they refuse to answer the door. And if there is no records there, THEN the fines will kick in. But, this very seldom happens. As to many of the questions that the census asks, my daughter says that yes, most of these questions the government is asking, is an intrusion of your privacy, and she will not ask them, only for the race, and head count.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by suicydking

Does it give you any concern that the very topic you are commenting on has absolutely no basis in reality? This is a fine example of what propaganda can do to people.

For all of you calling hoax, I just have to reiterate, this is about rented property. WIth landlord permission, they absolutely can enter your home.

Not saying it is protocall or that they have any reason for it, but it is the law.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You are correct, it is up to the landlord to decide who gets to enter. It is ultimately not up to the tenant.

However, the same applies to a situation where I could be the one asking the landlord for access. I don't work for the census, and I have no good reason to be in your apartment. It's still up to the property owner weather or not I get let in.

What I'm trying to say here, is that it's not relevant to this discussion, since US Census takers are being instructed to NOT ask for access. I could just as easily post an article that says "Piano Repair Men Can Enter Your Apartment In Your Absence!!!"

See my point here?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You are correct, it is up to the landlord to decide who gets to enter. It is ultimately not up to the tenant.

However, the same applies to a situation where I could be the one asking the landlord for access. I don't work for the census, and I have no good reason to be in your apartment. It's still up to the property owner weather or not I get let in.

What I'm trying to say here, is that it's not relevant to this discussion, since US Census takers are being instructed to NOT ask for access. I could just as easily post an article that says "Piano Repair Men Can Enter Your Apartment In Your Absence!!!"

See my point here?

Oh I totally do get you and I see your point with how far people are running with this. I just wanted to point out that it IS legal for them to enter with the correct permission.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Edit to remove reactionary, inflammatory, derogatory, and off-topic comment about people that cannot let go of an election result that they disagree with.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by nydsdan]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not only is the blog post in the OP simply FEAR MONGERING and HOAX, but this thread should be CLOSED.

If I needed an example of pure fear mongering, this blog would be it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this about a landlord of an apartment building giving the Census taker access to the common space? (ie, the building/hallways to access the apartments) as opposed to entry to the private living quarters?

I guess people will say anything to get hits on a blog.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
If ANY census worker, thinks that they can force their way into an American Citizens home, I do hope they get what they deserve- a 230gn slug of lead, served very hot.
THIS is what comes, of giving people badges and authority, over their fellow citizens. A certain large percentage, will enjoy abusing their authority. THAT is, sadly, human nature.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

See my point here?

Oh I totally do get you and I see your point with how far people are running with this. I just wanted to point out that it IS legal for them to enter with the correct permission.

It's also the fastest way to get fired from your position as a Census Taker. I don't think the Federal Government wants to deal with liability issues stemming from having employees rummaging through apartments while the tenant is absent.

Me? I'm always worried about that piano repairman.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hmm.

Interesting federal law? I know in some states a land-lord has to give a 24 hour notice that they plan to enter tenants home. Whether tenant is home or not, at appointed time.

So, without prior permissions granted by tenant, it is against state law- in some states.

It's the same as putting you out in the street without prior notice.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.

A) We've already proved it's not true.

B) If you filled out your little form and mailed it back like you're supposed to, it's a non-issue.

*sigh*

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
First a landlord can not even let the cops into a apartment without a warrant.

If someone enters your residents without permission and you are there, first you yell for them to freeze and to raise there hands over there head. (keep you gun hidden)
If they do not obey you tell them they are under arrest. (citizens arrest)
If they still do not comply then you show them the bore of your gun.

Do not show the gun until you have the legal right to under your state laws.

And if they pull a weapon at ANY time(a weapon being anything that can cause death or great bodily harm) you draw and fire no further warnings.

In over 95% of the US this is the legal way to do it.

Plus this is the day time rules at night your state may allow you to draw your weapon sooner and shot with out warning. (castle laws)

Check your state laws.

I live in calif so (California Penal Code § 198.5 sets forth that unlawful, forcible entry into one's residence by someone not a member of the household creates the presumption that the resident held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury should he or she use deadly force against the intruder. This would make the homicide justifiable under CPC § 197 [3]. CALCRIM 506 gives the instruction, "A defendant is not required to retreat. He or she is entitled to stand his or her ground and defend himself or herself and, if reasonably necessary, to pursue an assailant until the danger ... has passed. This is so even if safety could have been achieved by retreating." However, it also states that "[People v. Ceballos] specifically held that burglaries which 'do not reasonably create a fear of great bodily harm' are not sufficient 'cause for exaction of human life.

That is why i state to warn the intruder that he is under arrest.
once arrest has been made you can use force(weapon) to defend yourself. with less danger of being charged for pulling the weapon
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join