It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google In Trouble For Refusing To Hand Over Wi-Fi Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Google In Trouble For Refusing To Hand Over Wi-Fi Data

www.dslreports.com

Google recently found themselves in hot water after it was found that their Street View vehicles were accidentally collecting snippets of Wi-Fi traffic from unsecured hotspots. Google's now facing lawsuits and international pressure from privacy regulators, who can't seem to make up their mind whether Google should delete the data to protect privacy -- or save it for future use in criminal charges against Google. Google's now in trouble for not handing the data over to privacy regulators:
In a statement, Mr. Barron said Google had been working hard to address the concerns of data protectio
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is bad. I know we had the patriot act which gave illegal searches a green light. Now we have google street view team acting as the google secret police. The thing that bothers me is that this is what we know about. Who the hell knows what else google was collecting as they go from street to street.

www.dslreports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
But it also has me thinking now what are they doing with their browser chrome? Is that just going to send info to google? And their new online operating system, that one they already have all your info and you are the one getting it from them.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This has already been threaded, here:

Google stops deleting your personal data

[edit on 27-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

apparently the article writer is a propagandist or he does not know that the equipment to take a photograph such as a camera, and the equipment to collect wireless data( an antenna) are completely different instruments
and can no way be accidentally deployed without the intent of the company to collect such information.

It was intentional 100% on googles part.

Now will they prosecute it as a crime?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i work for an ad agency. i build websites for companies that are household names. i'm afraid to name them and violate any NDAs at work but suffice it to that one is a very well known credit card and the other a very well known shipping company.

websites are coded so that every possible interaction with the site is tracked - all mouse clicks, all mouse rollovers, all mouse rollouts, in some cases the interaction is timed, all redirects, etc, etc.

now ----- Google can grab your IP address and they are tracking your browsing habits, too. i'm sure they share all of this with the government. i'm sure they share this "anonymous" data with ANY party that has enough money.

heck, your ISP is your gateway to the internet and they can do the very same thing! if you subscribe to Time Warner, they know what channel you are on, how long you're on it, how many times a week/month/year you watch your favorite shows... and they probably practice the very same information "sharing" as Google.

bottom line - no one has privacy anymore. period. if you think you do - well - you should go back to watching american idol little sheep.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
My advice is, if you really do not appreciate googles attitude toward privacy , then do not use thier services. If their traffic goes down , there revenue will as well, and corperate entities only listen to the sound of the dollar slipping between thier fingers.

top topics

join