It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Human Habitat Was Savanna, Not Forest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Out of the Woods for 'Ardi': Early Human Habitat Was Savanna, Not Forest, Scientists Argue

Ardipithecus ramidus -- a purported human ancestor that was dubbed Science magazine's 2009 "Breakthrough of the Year" -- is coming under fire from scientists who say there is scant evidence for her discoverers' claims that there were dense woodlands at the African site where the creature lived 4.4 million years ago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05f6969df8ad.jpg[/atsimg]

Instead, "there is abundant evidence for open savanna habitats," says University of Utah geochemist Thure Cerling, lead author of a critique published as a "technical comment" in the May 28 issue of Science.

The criticism -- by eight geologists and anthropologists from seven universities -- is important because the claim that the 4.4-million-year-old fossil nicknamed Ardi lived in woodlands and forest patches was used as an argument against a longstanding theory of human evolution known as the savanna hypothesis.
That hypothesis holds that an expansion of savannas -- grassy plains dotted with trees and shrubs -- prompted ape-like ancestors of humans to descend from the trees and start walking upright to find food more efficiently or to reach other trees for shelter or resources.

The critique concludes that Ardi most likely lived in tree or bush savanna with 5 percent to 25 percent of the area covered by trees or shrubs, not the minimum 60 percent to meet the definition of a closed-canopy woodland. Cerling acknowledges Ardi could have lived in a wooded river corridor, but it was a river that flowed through savanna

And I guess you all know Ardi.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7194febcc5d5.jpg[/atsimg]

"The idea that savannas were important in human ancestors starting to walk on two legs means they spent less energy getting from one food source to another than they would have if they were still moving around on all fours," says Brown.
"One of the big, newsworthy items that White and coworkers put forward is that Ardipithecus walked upright on two legs, yet lived in a forested environment," he adds. "They then say the savanna hypothesis -- which holds that the reduction in forest cover in Africa is one of the reasons for early man becoming bipedal -- must be incorrect."
Cerling says: "Our conclusion is that much of the evidence that they [White and colleagues] present should be interpreted as a savanna environment, therefore their rejection of the savanna hypothesis is incorrect."

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
and they took all those bones together and pretty much imagined up how 'ardi' would look?

yep i see nothing wrong with that.....evolution seems more and more like a religion to me.

I mean why not....if scientologists believe in what they believe....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Come On !!!

Okey, I mean LOL, this story is as credible as santa clause . Man from Monkey hold no water what so ever, i really dont care how many bones they digg up, they might be from multiple time era's yet the bones would look similar..

Like that moron, hmmm, ohyea , Darwin, he whipped his slaves around the desert in a desperate need for bones, or his fundings would be cutoff.. LOL. it is all just Hogwash...

But, keep on feeling Monkey like dudes. Im no Monkey ....

' if it looks like a monkey, and pee on another monkeis as a monkey, then it is a monkey' , well, I dont walk around pee on other humans (or monkies for those of you that feel a tie to the Monkey family
)

LOL, you guys are killing me with this Noncense !!!!

LOLers, do you Adults really tell yer kids when a monkey appears on TV that : Look ,it is your Cousine Alfred... ?? LOL. Seriously ! LOL..

HA HA ! I laugh at this so Hard...UhmmmArrrh !

[edit on 27/5/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

' if it looks like a monkey, and pee on another monkeis as a monkey, then it is a monkey' , well, I dont walk around pee on other humans (or monkies for those of you that feel a tie to the Monkey family
)

LOLers, do you Adults really tell yer kids when a monkey appears on TV that : Look ,it is your Cousine Alfred... ?? LOL. Seriously ! LOL..

Looks like you know nothing about the theory of evolution.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire
and they took all those bones together and pretty much imagined up how 'ardi' would look?

yep i see nothing wrong with that.....evolution seems more and more like a religion to me.

I mean why not....if scientologists believe in what they believe....

I see it. The bones match up fairly well with the remake.

Evolution has bucket loads of proof, you just have to read about it to see the proof.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

)

Who knows anything about evolution ? haha, because your told so it is true ?
Nah, I call BS !!!!! But, you are free to believe what you want !

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Originally posted by Phlynx

)

Who knows anything about evolution ? haha, because your told so it is true ?
Nah, I call BS !!!!! But, you are free to believe what you want !

You're free to believe what you want too, but you need to do actual research into it until you start claiming it as faith based, etc. If you want to claim something as a lie, read about it first. Know as much as the believer.

new topics

top topics

join