It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran calls for immediate disarmament of nuclear states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Iran calls for immediate disarmament of nuclear states

beta.thehindu.com

Iran on Thursday urged all countries to take serious steps to dismantle all nuclear weapons and called for setting a deadline in this regard by the international community.

“We believe that nuclear disarmament and non—proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) are a necessity in today’s world. So a time limit is needed to be set for the elimination of nuclear weapons and this issue has to be incorporated in the final declaration of the Nuclear Non—proliferation Treaty (NPT) conference,” Mohammad Khazaee, Iran’s ambassador to the UN, was quoted as saying by Fars news agen
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Now this is the way to play it in my honest opinion. Absolutely brilliant. If they are seriously interested in Iran not obtaining a nuclear weapons capability, then everyone show us how committed you are to disarmament.

I for one support the idea. This should be carried by all the major networks but of course it isn't. So has Iran's intentions from the beginning been to bring everyone to this ultimatum?

If it was then I must applaud them.

beta.thehindu.com

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Now this is the way to play it in my honest opinion. Absolutely brilliant. If they are seriously interested in Iran not obtaining a nuclear weapons capability, then everyone show us how committed you are to disarmament.

I for one support the idea. This should be carried by all the major networks but of course it isn't. So has Iran's intentions from the beginning been to bring everyone to this ultimatum?

If it was then I must applaud them.

beta.thehindu.com

Brilliant huh???

So when the countries that agree to a timeline start dismantling their nuclear weapons, where do these fissive materials go?? the knowledge is out there to creat nuclear weapons, how do you prevent people from making them? How do you police the countries that have agreed to dismantle and stop them from making new ones and insuring that old ones are dismantled??

This idea is ludicrous.

The idea of peace without absolute control is ludicrous.

War can be a good thing. hear me out.

If you don't have war you have two potential outcomes. You either have complete technological superiority and control through the threat of annihilation, or you have the ability for anyone to put themselves together into an army and completely take control.

It is only through sovereignty, in combination with people ruling themselves and having control over arms themselves that a semblence of peace can be achieved.

The closest to peace we had was the period of the cold war, where everyone was too afraid to act out of fear of annihilating each other.

You cannot put the cat back in the box.

Once the ability of nuclear weapons has been achieved, you cannot eliminate them from the world. The knowledge of good and evil cannot be taken away by spitting out the apple...

Jaden

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is nothing but a PR propaganda. Iran is in dire straights and they know this...this is why they are trying to 'flip' this on those with nuclear weapons.

Thats why when nuclear weapons show up in iran and its been outed that iran was not really using all that uranium for 'energy' and peaceful purpose they can turn around and say "we gave you a chance....we did this to protect ourselves. You are the bad guys".

Essentially iran will be making themselves out to be the victims of the 'imperialistic' united states and its western 'lapdogs' while garnering sympathy and support for iran.

Its one of the oldest tricks in the book. right on up there with false flag attacks.

Dont be fooled.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

Exactly. Total PR stunt to make them look like shining heroes. Apparently it has already worked to some degree. I would love to live in a world with no threat of nuclear war, but in the meantime, I would rather live in the country with the most nukes on its side.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

You've explained quite well why it is theoretically infeasible. But it is also practically infeasible. Once a nation - any nation - acquires nuclear weaponry, there is no force in existence except death that will make them give up those weapons. It is the ultimate bargaining chip. It is a trump card in a poker game. They can talk all they want, but EVERY NATION KNOWS THAT EVERY OTHER NATION IS LYING when they talk about nuclear disarmament. I don't even know why they bother, perhaps to fool the gullible for petty PR campaigns. And/or perhaps for a semblance of legitimacy in various endeavors of policy.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hitler was openly calling for disarmament and peaceful coexistence in 1933. While quietly rebuilding his army/navy/air-force. And we all know how "The German nation wishes to live in peace with the rest of the world." played out for Czech republic and Poland 5 years later when German military was sufficiently "disarmed".
His perfectly logical and just speech:
www.humanitas-international.org...
All i can say about this speech:

Now this is the way to play it in my honest opinion. Absolutely brilliant. If they are seriously interested in "Nazi Germany" not obtaining a "strong military", then everyone show us how committed you are to disarmament.

Edit - oopsy got date wrong.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Iran is stuck in the dark ages and therefore aren't allowed any nuclear fun by the rest of the world. They are trying to be seen as peacemaker but no-one is buying it because we all know if they could, they would build the biggest nuke ever to bully the west with.....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Essentially iran will be making themselves out to be the victims of the 'imperialistic' united states and its western 'lapdogs' while garnering sympathy and support for iran.

And what did Iran actually do wrong? Why can America and Israel and other countries have nukes but they can't?

Iran hasn't started any wars for a long time. the same cannot be said about America for instance.

And they're right, America is imperialistic, they basically have Iran surrounded, with political and militairy influence in neighbouring countries.

I am aware of human rights issues in Iran, and I don't glorify them, but America is causing more hurt in the world than they are.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Oh yes, because Iran is so good at keeping deadlines themselves.

Look, the guy is smart enough to take this route, but his actions in the past have negated his sincerity in my opinion.

If he wants the world to listen to him, perhaps he should act like the world should listen to him.

This is same country that says scantily-clad women that have affairs cause earthquakes, remember?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think he is promoting this movie:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made a thread but got no comments

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Here is a part of the text from the speech that Ahmadinejad gave at the U.N.

Today, although a major part of the nations' resources are being allocated to providing national security, there is hardly any sign of an improvement in the circumstances as far as the perceived threats are concerned. Regrettably, due to distancing of some States from the teachings of the Divine Prophets, the shadow of the threat of nuclear bombs is cast over the whole world, and no one feels secured. Some States define in their strategies the nuclear bomb as an element of stability and security, and this is one of their big mistakes. The production and possession of a nuclear bomb, under whatever pretext be done, is a very dangerous act which first and foremost makes the country of production and stockpiling exposed. You may recall that how perilous was the unintentional transfer of a nuclear-tipped missile with a bomber from a military base to another one in the United States and which became a matter of concern for the American people. Secondly, the sole function of the nuclear weapons is to annihilate all living beings and destroy the environment, and its radiations would affect the coming generations and its negative impacts would continue for centuries. The nuclear bomb is a fire against humanity rather than a weapon for defense. The possession of nuclear bombs is not a source of pride; it is rather disgusting and shameful. And even more shameful is the threat to use or to use such weapons, which is not even comparable to any crime committed throughout the history. Those who committed the first atomic bombardment are considered to be among the most hated in history.

Link to text of Iran's speech.

I don't know, he sounds sincere about his disdain of nuclear weapons.

Edited to fix link, I hope.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by jackflap]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

Exactly. Total PR stunt to make them look like shining heroes. Apparently it has already worked to some degree. I would love to live in a world with no threat of nuclear war, but in the meantime, I would rather live in the country with the most nukes on its side.

how perfectly put

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

Iran is only saying this to show the hypocracy in those that forbid them to have nukes.

Ironic that you illustrate the hypocracy quite nicely, by saying you would rather live in the country with the most nukes, but you blame them for wanting the same.

It is not an attempt to make themselves look like heros, it's meant to make the rest of the world look stupid.

Apparently, it has already worked to some degree.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Well put Point of No Return. Notice how in his speech, Ahmadinejad refers to the panic that ensued when those nukes were transferred from Minot Air Force Base. I'm not sure if we ever found out if all of them were recovered.

The logic that is presented in that speech is undeniable. It takes a huge amount of trust on all sides to disarm totally but it is not impossible.

new topics

top topics

join