It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane experts predict active season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Hurricane experts predict active season

www.cbc.ca

The 2010 Atlantic hurricane season is promising to be extremely active, a development that could spell trouble for U.S. states already dealing with the fallout from the BP oil disaster.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Talk about kicking people while they're down. I can only surmise the potential for chaos is you mix rain, hurricane force winds and loose oil from BP's debacle. States that are already strapped with major oil pollution are going to be facing a disaster of deadly proportions. Could this be the reason the national guard is being mobilized all over the country, to be ready for the inevitable devastation from oil laden hurricanes? Will the Obama Administration be able to face this stress on top of everything else?

What do you think fellow ATSers? How bad will it be? How far will this go? If there is a hurricane of sufficent force could it potentially carry oil rain up the eastern seaboard?

I'm sitting here in Newfoundland, Canada. We get a great deal of the tropical storms that were once hurricanes in the Gulf, and I'm nervous about oil in my back yard.

www.cbc.ca

[edit on 27-5-2010 by dontblink]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I had not thought of the oil rain. We usually get alot of rain and storms from the really big ones that hit the gulf.

I do worry about the response to these hurricanes should they happen. I mean it takes Obama 5 weeks to say something about the spill. People blamed Bush for taking too much time with Katrina. And yes, with all the oil and gunk in the gulf and traveling in currents below this will be a horror.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink

Talk about kicking people while they're down. I can only surmise the potential for chaos is you mix rain, hurricane force winds and loose oil from BP's debacle. States that are already strapped with major oil pollution are going to be facing a disaster of deadly proportions. Could this be the reason the national guard is being mobilized all over the country, to be ready for the inevitable devastation from oil laden hurricanes? Will the Obama Administration be able to face this stress on top of everything else?

What do you think fellow ATSers? How bad will it be? How far will this go? If there is a hurricane of sufficent force could it potentially carry oil rain up the eastern seaboard?

I'm sitting here in Newfoundland, Canada. We get a great deal of the tropical storms that were once hurricanes in the Gulf, and I'm nervous about oil in my back yard.

www.cbc.ca

If it worries you that much, book a holiday if you can afford it and make sure its cheap & chearful and that if it does flood your backyard the way to see it from my perspective is it'll only get worse if your stranded in that situation.

Let The Coming Changes be of warnings to you as the oil disaster has been put in place for a message that everybody should become more aware of the environment as not enough people are paying attention.

Too many people take life for granted and what's to become is not a walk in the park. Start waking up now.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

My point exactly. We've seen what happened with the Exxon Valdez decades ago, this spill is at least twice as bad as that if reports are to be believed. We have no idea the ecological devastation that oil rain could cause, and mark my words we will be unprepared for it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is not good news, in fact, this is horrible. I live on the louisiana coast. To hear that they are predicting the worst hurricane season since 2005 (the back to back katrina/rita disaster) and to hear that this is the highest numbers they have ever predicted this soon in the season is enough in itself to leave me on edge for the next 6 months. (as reported on fox about 10 minutes ago) But to mix that with this oil spill? It's hard to imagine just how bad things may get.

Usually the worst we have to worry about, is the storm surge itself, and any trees falling on our homes. With the rumors today on twitter about people seeing oil rain in florida, if this is true i guess we now have to worry about oil rain, and lots of it, on top of worrying about an oil topped surge which would leave oil outside and inside people's homes, all over our yards, and our streets.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink

www.cbc.ca

I don't think you have to worry about oil rain in your backyard. The same thing that makes the spill such a mess is going to protect you. Oil and water don't mix Oil is a polar molecule. That means that while the molecule as a whole is electricly neutral, one side has a slight negative charge while the other side is slightly positive. It looks a little like a Mickey Mouse caricature with two little circles (hydrogen) on top of a big circle (Oxygen) Oil is non-polar and is hydrophobic - it hates water molecules. Even in the vapor phase, oil won't mix with water. Oil evaporates very wierdly, since it is a compound of many different molecules, some very light, with a mole (which is 6.02x10^23 molecules weighing 16 grams and others with very, and I mean very, heavy molucules, up to maybe a thousand grams per mole. The lighter molecules evaporate first, since for a given amount of heat, the smaller molecule will move more, giving it the energy to leave the other molecules. That's why you end up with tar balls. The more volitile stuff all evaporates away, leaving the heavy goo. But an oil vapor molecule is still a non-polar molecule which won't combine with water. So if it gets hot enough in the Gulf and the wind is strong enough, you may smell the stuff but you won't get an oil rain. I even doubt the smell psrt since it would take a temp of about 125 deg. C to crack the crude into stuff you could smell.

top topics

join