It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I've got 3 ancistrus fish and 1 angelfish. Ever since I moved my aquarium to a place where I see it most of the time I'm at home I've been making crazy observations of my angel fish. It seems to be far too intelligent for a fish. For example it can beg food. It does this by swimming to the upper right corner of the aquarium. Then it makes this crazy movement for a long time. At first I thought it just learned to associate this with food, but the thing is that it doesn't come to the surface before I actually open the fish food can. Also it doesn't do this when nobody is in the room.

Well anyways after I move next to the aquarium the fish just stays still and stares at me. It's crazy. This one time I did everything normally but then didn't give any food for it (I feed it by hand quite often). After a little while it turned around and splashed some water out of the aquarium. Surely a coincidence? Haha.

No good links, just en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe you guys can share some stories?

quote from en.wikipedia.org...

"Many hobbyists consider angelfish to be a relatively intelligent fish, able to recognize their owners."

I'm not crazy

[edit on 27-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

How adorable. If this link is anything to go by, it would seem he may have chosen you as his 'buddy'.

Angels are seemingly among the most alert and intelligent of aquarium fish. They can learn to recognize their keeper and will even accept morsels direct from fingers. They also have several other interesting characterstics. Typically, they will select a mate (or best friend) to hang out with most of the time.

www.petstation.com...

join