It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! !Cover up ..It is a LEAKof a larger magnitude according to experts!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

You may want to change your title, as this is huge, but it isn't from a new leak, but rather the original wellhead leak.

Edit to say: Good stuff. I just didn't want to get sidetracked in a debate on this being from a new leak or not. Thanks OP. I'll flag it now.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by broahes]

+1 more 
posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Welcome to United States of America. The world's biggest war crimes gone scot-free. The world's biggest financial mess and frauds under Federal Reserve. The world's record-breaking pollutants on land, air and sea.

Well done United States

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So what exactly does it mean when the story reports that scientists are "worried that the plume is coming from chemical dispersants used to break up the oil underwater?"

Does that mean this is a plume of oil? A plume of chemical dispersants? Or a plume of oil and chemical dispersants? Forgive my ignorance, I don't understand the wording...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Now that we are sorted on the subject.
It's still going to be an environmental disaster for some-one.
22 miles of oil seems quite a lot to me.
And this is a 3D plume not just a flat slick.
Anybody good with a calculator out there?
What sort of volume are we talking about?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is getting worse by the minute - haven't heard anything on CNN today - as a matter of fact they seem to be a little off beat on the oil spill news today. I think they have received the hush hush for now.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Good Lord my heart skipped a beat when I saw new leak - Please OP change your title - someone is liable to get hurt. Thanks to those who hunted this one down and to OP for bringing it to our attention.

I'm giving a star and flag for info contained in the the thread by posters but please OP modify that title and any reference to a "new leak".

[edit on 27-5-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This explains why every media site dropped the headlines: Oil Leak Stopped.

I was wondering if this was a possibility. Blocking it with concrete would build up pressure in another area and cause it to explode.

Nobody should make light of this. No matter what country you are in -- this is going to affect everybody. It's not just the Gulf that's screwed. Once it heads out to the Atlantic -- which it will -- hello UK.

Not to mention the financial toll it's going to take on Florida. They rely heavily on tourism to their west coast beaches and fishing.

Ugh. This may very well be the hole that causes our entire "ship" to sink.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's easy to understand everyone's confusion and concern on this one. But if you read the words carefully in the title it states the word "plume" and not "leak". This is NOT a new leak. It is a large, concentrated mass of oil and, most likely, dispersant. But the oil is oil that has already leaked from the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe.

I truly wish that the media would choose their words more carefully and remember that folks are feeling a great deal of anxiety over this mess and can easily misunderstand something like this.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

BP stands for British Petroleum. This is not a US well. The US is not the only country with oil companies.
On topic: We are so screwed people.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by sickofitall2012]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

He did.

I hope no one took my earlier posts as trying to take away from the severity of this plume, I just didn't want the thread to turn into a debate of this being a new leak or not. I do think this will be devastating if this hits the coast, but I was interested in getting the thread straight first on what we were talking about.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Your right.
The gulf stream is going to bring the plume over the Atlantic to Cornwall.
Hopefully it will have solidified by then though.
But that is assuming it gets past the East coast.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I fear the more they tamper with the origional release, the more sporadic natural vents are going to start popping up, as the energy is trying to disperse itself by other means, thus it'll naturally find weaker points away from the main rupture zone which is being capped and the only alternative is to simply let this thing run its course.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Found this on Huff Post. Yes, folks, your 'source' sighs are audible.

NEW ORLEANS — Marine scientists have discovered a massive new plume of what they believe to be oil deep beneath the Gulf of Mexico, stretching 22 miles from the leaking wellhead northeast toward Mobile Bay, Alabama.

The discovery by researchers on the University of South Florida College of Marine Science's Weatherbird II vessel is the second significant undersea plume recorded since the Deepwater Horizon exploded on April 20.

The first such plume detected by scientists stretched from the well southwest toward the open sea, but this new undersea oil cloud is headed miles inland into shallower waters where many fish and other species reproduce.

Source:www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Ok i'm new here so be nice. This plume is 22 miles long, 6 miles wide and 3300 ft deep (.53 miles). ap news reportroughly it is 70 cubic miles. That's means over 70 trillion gallons of oil has leaked out see formula. Must consider though that the plume is not just oil but a mix of water and oil. So lets say 10% is oil that would still mean around 7 trillion gallons. What is interesting is that Wiki also says that global oil consumption is three CMO (Cubic Mile of Oil). Which means that this plume alone is twice as much oil than the world consumes in one year !!!

Global proved oil reserves are estimated at approximately 1,300 billion barrels (210×10^9 m3).[11] This corresponds to roughly 43 cubic miles, or 43 CMO so we just released anywhere from 16 to 100%+ of our previously known oil reserves into the Gulf of Mexico

And this is just one of the plumes. _javascript:icon('
')

Also news reports are or were Spill contained or leak stopped. Well either they forgot to turn off the looped tape or the well is fighting back Still leaking.

So potentially 70 trillion gallons and counting. I'm guessing it is time to head to the shops and buy some fish and crabs, as we wont be buying any for a very long time. That is of course dependent on the oil not killing us somehow.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by theregonnakillme]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I believe this is the concern:

Without the dispersant the oil floats to the top of the water and sits, where it can be picked up, of course it also makes it more visible how much oil has leaked, spewed (or whatever term you want to use for this even).

The dispersant they are using breaks the oil down into tiny droplets, prevents it from floating to the surface where it now can be more easily ingested and/or absorbed by the things living in the water.

Not to mention the concern of what chemicals comprise the dispersant.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I guess I'll be taking a break from eating sashimi caught in the Gulf for about ten years or so.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Nice work.. I wonder if they took a sample to get the oil/water ratio?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

I guess it could mean that the chemicals are releasing oil from the ground? Not sure how that would work but the words used do suggest that the dispersant is responsible for this plume.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

Dont know where to put this but im sure it will become relevant.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join