It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's Over Lake Superior

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
During a three week span from April 19th 2010- May 8th strange objects were seen over Lake Superior and inland over Marquette County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Each eye witness seeing something different and not able to identify what it was they were seeing.

Michigan's Upper Peninsula isolated in the woods from big city lights makes it a prime spot for viewing a star filled night sky and the occasional strange light/s or craft passing silently over head. This northern woods location is no stranger to UFO sightings, a run through on various UFO website databases turns up a long list of sightings dating back to the 60s. Some of these sightings are debatable since the Upper Peninsula was home to two Air Force bases, Kincheloe Air Force Base located in Chippewa County from 1952-77 and K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in Marquette County in service from 1955-95 during which time there was an up tick in sightings.

Spoiler alert Sorry guys this thread contains no pictures or video evidence, just eye witness reports from a local news paper, news station and MUFON. But please read on if you wish for the reports and toss around some idea's on what the mystery objects possibly could of been. I wanted to let the brilliant minds here on ATS gnaw on some fresh sighting reports and come up with some answers.

Sighting 1:April 25th 2010 mid day. A doctor and his son on one of the top floors at the local Hospital that over looks Lake Superior caught a glimpse of something strange swooping down out of the sky.
www.miningjournal.net...

Object spotted

To the Journal editor: At 4:20 p.m. Sunday, I was sitting, visiting a patient with my son Stewart in Room 626 at Marquette General Hospital in Marquette. Stewart was facing a large window covering the outside wall from waist high to ceiling, facing due east. He suddenly exclaimed, "There is a UFO." Sitting next to the window, I suddenly turned, stood up and saw an irregularly shaped (Stewart remarked, "It looks like a kite"), silvery, somewhat rectangular body rapidly descending across Lake Superior from the north at a 15 to 20 degree slope. It appeared to be 1 to 2 miles away when first seen, and in about 15 to 20 seconds, at the low point of its descent, it sped past the due east line from our location (to the right of the hospital smokestack and in line with the northern rim of Grand Island), then started to climb at a 20 to 30 degree slope in a south-southeasterly direction. It rapidly shrank in size as it sped away, and soon vanished in the distance at a high elevation - perhaps several thousand feet towards the top of a distant bank of fuzzily topped clouds. The entire transit time of my observation was perhaps 40 to 50 seconds. The overall appearance was a silvery, almost rectangular object with changing borders, suggesting it was twisting or rolling on its long (forward to rearward) axis, with flashes of reflected sunlight (the sun was behind us) and/or as light beamed from the object (some with a reddish color). Although irregular in outline, there were no specific structures. The distance from us seemed to be about 1 mile as it passed its lowest and nearest point. At its nearest, it covered an area about the size of my index fingernail when held upright at arm's length. I had the feeling it might be 50 to 100 feet in length. Overall, visibility was great. Only a few wisps of high clouds, plus the distant band of fuzzily topped clouds to the south. There was no evidence of any exhaust or discharge from the object other than the lights. The object's progression seemed effortless, like it was sailing or floating along, and unaffected by gravity. I would be interested to know if other parties saw this object or are interested in a few additional particulars of the sighting. John W. English, M.D. Marquette

Here are a few screen shots from Google earth of the location to get an idea of the witnesses surroundings, keep in mind this object traveled a distance of roughly 30-50 miles in 60 seconds according to the witness from when it was first seen to the time it faded off in the distance.

News report of the sighting.
www.uppermichiganssource.com...~\news\lists\local&id=448697

MARQUETTE -- We've had a report that a mysterious silver flying object was seen over Lake Superior next to Picnic Rocks on Sunday. Two witnesses reported seeing the object, which they described as a small version of stealth bomber, at 4:20 p.m., looking east. The father and son say it flew in a straight path and twisted as it moved, disappearing into the distance about a minute after they spotted it.

About a week later another UFO report was published in the news paper in response to the doctor's sighting.

Sighting 2:April 19th 2010, 10pm, a even larger object 6 days before the first reported sighting.

www.miningjournal.net...

Anything is possible

To the Journal editor: (This is) in response to Dr. English's sighting of an unidentified flying object: On April 19, at 10 p.m., there was an object spotted hovering over White Bear Road in Negaunee Township. It appeared to be the size of a football field, with blinking lights, just hovering above the treetops. Also, two years ago on Christmas Eve, the same object was spotted in the same area around noon. As a child growing up around Dead River Basin, there have been many sightings of unusual objects in the sky. I have also heard of beings being spotted digging in the soil around a camp late at night. I've had my own experiences that I can't explain. I just keep an open mind and realize anything is possible. Kathy Morrison Marquette

This object was hovering in a location that's pretty isolated, mostly camps and dirt roads in that area, also a high voltage electric transmission line runs through the area from a power plant located on the shore of Lake Superior to a iron ore mine located well inland.

Continued

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Invis

[edit on 27-5-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
While looking over the comments section from the news station's website another eye witness chimed in about their sighting the night before. I located this sighting on the MUFON live map.

Sightings 3 & 4: May 6th & May 8th 2010, strange bright light.

mufoncms.com...

In Marquette, MI., May 06, 2010 approximately 9 PM I went outside into my yard to smoke a cigarette. The evening sky was cloudy. Stars couldn't be seen. I noticed a very bright light through the trees and it could only be seen by standing in the "sweet spot". Initially, I thought it was the moon but quickly realized it was not. I moved around the yard trying to get a better view without success. Moments later the light seemed to burn out. I checked local news for reports as there had been a handful of daytime sightings of a craft days earlier. No comments. May 08, 2010 at approximately 11:15 PM I was outside smoking and looked up into a very clear night sky to see a brilliantly white light moving silently across the sky. I am under commercial airline traffic so was dilligent to see what type of craft could be lit up in such a way. I live approximately a mile away from the Lake Superior shoreline. I watched this very bright, large object move overhead and east toward the lake where it appeared to launch into hyperspace. But really, what I saw was the object get smaller and disappear. What I saw was that this UFO began to ascend at 45 degrees and zoom away out of sight. Yet, the craft got smaller not as a function of it's ascent or distance but more like, I know this sounds crazy, but like it was being vaccuumed or sucked into some unseen tube. This UFO was huge and silent! A couple of seconds afterward a commercial craft flew over and I could hear it perfectly and in comparrison of the lights, ...they were visable but pinhead.

Lets hear some thoughts ATS, four reported sightings of possibly three different objects within 20 days time, in the same location.

Could the day time sighting have been the recently released to the public RQ-170 Sentinel?

en.wikipedia.org...

www.defenceaviation.com...

aerowiki.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
For some reason the news link doesn't work, I've tried a few times to fix it but every time a blank page shows up after copy/paste link. Just google tv6 news possible ufo sighting and it should be right on top.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Seriously nobody is interested in any of the reports?

Maybe my threads are invisible too?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

InvisibleObserver.....

Thanks for your thorough post.

I will have a good look at that tomorrow! (it's getting late here now)

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Thanks Maybe maybe not,

I've been waiting for some feed back.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hey fella's I live up in Northern Michigan and have been seeing some lights - 1st let me tell you exactly what I saw,roughly 80 to 100 feet in the air an orange orb appears in the split of a second and then 2-3 seconds later it was gone then about 5 popped up soon after and again they disapeared in the split of a second,now I had my 3.5x scope in the car which gave me a close look-no plane there what so ever just orange orbs that appeared for a couple seconds and went as fast as they came(I got the last part of one of the orbs on video)then I get home and I see 1 of these dang orb's 50 feet in front of my house in the woods. now im not saying these are alien spacecraft but would like your expert opnions on what this could be. Here's a link to the 1st lights i seen-as stated i only got a few seconds on video. I tried some zooming/various editing.

www.youtube.com...

Here's another sighting I had April 1st of this year

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mosin Nagant

Thanks for sharing your experience and your videos

Keep your cam on you, there seems to be a lot of strange action above northern Michigan lately.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It is sad that authentic UFO sightings are ignored on this forum and elsewhere when there is so much junk that grabs attention.

I think it is evidence that UFO study has been totally engulfed by noise and the actual real signal is almost completely ignored.

Maybe the Internet has killed UFOlogy which is now just a virtual reality game.

I did find it interesting to read about these recent sightings from the upper peninsula.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neirid
interestingg

Neirid.....

I can see you have simply inserted the word "interesting" in 20 different threads, in order to increase your post count.

I'm not sure that's what you're supposed to do on here.

Do you have any commentary regarding this, or the other 19 threads in which you have copied & pasted the word "interesting"?

Regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

Originally posted by neirid
interestingg

Neirid.....

I can see you have simply inserted the word "interesting" in 20 different threads, in order to increase your post count.

I'm not sure that's what you're supposed to do on here.

Do you have any commentary regarding this, or the other 19 threads in which you have copied & pasted the word "interesting"?

Regards
Maybe...maybe not

The true irony here is that those posts have only clocked up as 1 on that members profile post counter.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

You raise a good point,

With all the hoaxers out there making videos using CGI, RC model kits etc, and snapping pictures then using photo shop and the cases where people have a hard time telling the difference between a balloon, plane, heli etc, or the blur bug and bird photos they can all trick the mind. But from each one of these cases we learn something from them. Sooner or later something good should come down the line.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The UP sky is quite clear. I camp in the deep woods there every year, and when the weather is nice you can see the Milky Way, satellites, the Northern Lights... all sorts of things. Pick any part of the sky or horizon and you're bound to catch some sort of illuminated movement.

That said, the Great Lakes have recently become a hot spot for UFO sightings, and I'm sure a great many of them are genuine. Some have even been tracked on radar.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
hello, I joined this site as little as 10 minutes ago to share my world changing story that my friend and I experienced last night around 9:35pm. Little did I know I could not create a post until i had 20 post on other peoples post. But considering my story deals with lake erie in ohio i feel this is an acceptable place to post my story...

My friend and I were driving home last night from a movie in Lake county ohio, about 4 miles from lake erie and it had just stormed and you could not see the stars as it was way too cloudy. well we are driving on a road that is pretty secluded as we live in the middle of no where, and we see this bright light in the distance, and its the only light in the sky. It honestly looks like a low flying plane or something but we can tell it is getting closer and closer as we drive. so we eventually stop in the middle of this road for about 30 seconds just to admire/examine the light. We quickly realize that the light is come directly at us, fast. My friend pulls out his cell phone to take pictures but obviously doesnt work. and the single front light we saw before turns into three distinct blue lights over head. Literally stopped, hovering over our heads. I turn off my music and roll down the windows, hearing nothing from the above lights. Could not be a helicopter and obviously couldn't be a plane as it is hovering. we quickly notice that the lights are getting closer, meaning the object was descending but descending directly over us. I dont know what is going on at this moment, my friend and I are sorta nervous as we have already eliminated the possibility of plane and helicopter. I freak out as i can see this object vividly, honestly i will never forget this thing and its lights over head of us, and i drive away. as soon as i take off the object bolts away. quick, and i mean super quick, like in the matter of 15 seconds we could not see it. I looked at the video of the lights over lake erie as my parents pointed me in that direction as they heard of it a while back, and looking at the videos, it sorta looks like it. but unlike those videos, i saw it. i saw it directly over me. and this, this was not human. i honestly haven't stopped thinking about what we saw less that 24 hours ago and can tell you all that i was/am scared...

as for me i am a 21 year old, recently college graduate with my accounting degree, i am not a alien person, i dont go around looking for this stuff, it sorta just happened last night. let me know what you think about this and my story!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
hello, I joined this site as little as 10 minutes ago to share my world changing story that my friend and I experienced last night around 9:35pm. Little did I know I could not create a post until i had 20 post on other peoples post. But considering my story deals with lake erie in ohio i feel this is an acceptable place to post my story...

My friend and I were driving home last night from a movie in Lake county ohio, about 4 miles from lake erie and it had just stormed and you could not see the stars as it was way too cloudy. well we are driving on a road that is pretty secluded as we live in the middle of no where, and we see this bright light in the distance, and its the only light in the sky. It honestly looks like a low flying plane or something but we can tell it is getting closer and closer as we drive. so we eventually stop in the middle of this road for about 30 seconds just to admire/examine the light. We quickly realize that the light is come directly at us, fast. My friend pulls out his cell phone to take pictures but obviously doesnt work. and the single front light we saw before turns into three distinct blue lights over head. Literally stopped, hovering over our heads. I turn off my music and roll down the windows, hearing nothing from the above lights. Could not be a helicopter and obviously couldn't be a plane as it is hovering. we quickly notice that the lights are getting closer, meaning the object was descending but descending directly over us. I dont know what is going on at this moment, my friend and I are sorta nervous as we have already eliminated the possibility of plane and helicopter. I freak out as i can see this object vividly, honestly i will never forget this thing and its lights over head of us, and i drive away. as soon as i take off the object bolts away. quick, and i mean super quick, like in the matter of 15 seconds we could not see it. I looked at the video of the lights over lake erie as my parents pointed me in that direction as they heard of it a while back, and looking at the videos, it sorta looks like it. but unlike those videos, i saw it. i saw it directly over me. and this, this was not human. i honestly haven't stopped thinking about what we saw less that 24 hours ago and can tell you all that i was/am scared...

as for me i am a 21 year old, recently college graduate with my accounting degree, i am not a alien person, i dont go around looking for this stuff, it sorta just happened last night. let me know what you think about this and my story!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by draknoir2

If you head north this summer to camp remember to take your camera, you might get lucky and see something. If no strange lights appear you can still get some good shots of a star filled sky, or the northern lights which have been spectacular so far this year.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Glad to do it,I suppose I should tell you guy's what happened to me the night I filmed these orbs,1st off I uploaded the video to youtube,in 20 seconds I got 40 views which was strange as i didnt even have a title yet and no subscribers.15 minutes later I see a bright light shining through my blinds,so me and my brother got up to check it out - 30 feet ahead and 40 feet off the ground a chopper is hovering in my front yard shining lights in my window. I was scared and 10 seconds later we heard the most strangest sound - I cant explain it like a buzz saw,the sound was on the outside of my house and loud - who knows. My brother was so petrified that he called the police telling them to send out a trooper ASAP. The dispatcher just told him to settle down and its the military doing maneuvers. So he hung up as it was useless. I looked outside and the chopper was gone. I'll tell ya guys im used to seeing military activity a lot as camp Grayling is not too far from me,but a freaking chopper hovering in my front yard the night I get these orbs on the internet? Needless to say I deleted those videos in the split of a second! It was strange thats all I can say about it. But ya know after a while I got the courage to reupload the video to YT and its been fine ever since. Just a dang weird experience

With best regards

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

InvisibleObserver.....

I've read your report 2-3 times, now.

I really like the way you have put this together. In particular, your use of Google Earth really gives a good "feel" for what was being observed.

As is often the case with such well presented reports on ATS, it is difficult to make long commentary because you have effectively covered everything.

If pushed for a prosaic explanation, I would have to say the witnesses might have somehow confused a fighter jet type aircraft with an "unknown", albeit the details presented are at odds with that.

Therefore, an obvious question would be: Is the area used for jet oriented activities?

A S&F for you!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Hiya IO, it's always good to see a thread exceed the quality of others. The effort you've put into this is very cool.

Reading about the sightings, the first one could well be a prototype stealth aircraft. It's description and movements could apply. It's possibly being tested prior to being painted the familiar matte black. On the other hand, it seems stealth craft would be black before being tested?

The MUFON reported sighting (May 08, 2010) was more interesting to me. The style and tone of the witness seems reliable and honest. They relate their sighting clearly without trying to 'tidy' it up. They differentiate between known aircraft and the behaviour of this one. They aren't offering conclusions either.

Thanks for posting. I've lost heart in the UFO section, but this was a nice change

top topics

<<   2 >>

join