It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Herbal Supplements May Pose Health Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

www.aolnews.com

(May 26) -- Natural supplements, now taken by at least a quarter of adult Americans, are often laced with lead, mercury, arsenic and potentially dangerous levels of pesticides.

That's the conclusion of a new federal report, released today by the Government Accountability Office. It's just in time for a key Senate hearing, set to begin in two weeks, that will decide whether to approve a food safety bill that could clamp down on regulation of such products.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hmm, this may be one to keep an eye folks.

I am not sure what to think of this. Is this actually a study put up by our caring big brother with our best health in mind, or a witch hunt, sponsored by one of their biggest controllers, the pharma industry?

Making all supps FDA controlled and mandated?

I'm sure there will be some division on this. Many will cheer, and others will be concerned that items they have used for years are now in danger of disappearing or perhaps being rescheduled as a 'drug'.

Discuss...

www.aolnews.com

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
That's why more and more people are growing their own, myself included. I've started a medicinal herb garden this year, along with my veggie garden.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What timing.

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

www.aolnews.com

(May 26) -- Natural supplements, now taken by at least a quarter of adult Americans, are often laced with lead, mercury, arsenic and potentially dangerous levels of pesticides.

That's the conclusion of a new federal report, released today by the Government Accountability Office. It's just in time for a key Senate hearing, set to begin in two weeks, that will decide whether to approve a food safety bill that could clamp down on regulation of such products.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh geez thank Jeebus the guvment is here to save us! I for one am tired of the dang government telling me what is good for me.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
OK, and all the other prescription drugs and foods approved for our consumption are 100% safe right?

Throw another bale of hay at the sheep...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If there was rat poison in these herbal supplements, and I had to choose between that or a drug from big pharma, I would go for the herbal supplement like lightning.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a negative ad campaign to support Codex Alimentarius. If the peopel are too scared to take supplements, they'll beg for more control over them.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good reason to buy organic herbs and to make sure they are packaged by organic means, even if in pill form.

The title kinda mislead against organic supplements.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hmmm,lets see now-Should I trust a herbal supplement which humans have found to be effective for many centuries,or should I trust the synthetic toxic chemicals made by big pharma(most of which they admit do not work,and cause more harm to the patient).

Hmmm I wonder now...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is the PR campaign that congress needs to justify taking the freedom to make your own health decisions away from you.
It is a coordinated effort to put more control and money into the pockets of big pharmaceutical companies.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Duh every thing grown on this planet is contaminated. Factories all over the world have been spewing this crap into the atmosphere for centuries. The entire world is as my Navajo/Zuni pueblo student said 'a poisoned world.'

And since the plants are contaminated then the fish, fowl and ungulates are seriously major contaminated. Its a simple scientific fact called bioaccumulation. This is a much more serious issue than holes in the sky and climate change, that is until crops are affected but the other two...

Solution eat beans. An old hispanic lady just told me old, old lore that pinto beans absorb toxins and clean you out. They are a bit spongy hummmm...

[edit on 27-5-2010 by DChenO]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
For Chissakes! absolutely foolish. In make herbal supplements for a living. I am the director of production and purchasing. The efficasy of herbs has more documented evidence as treatments then Isolated compounds by thousands of years...its called empericism.

Now, in order to produce ANY consumable food, or medicine from natural materials the FDA requires as does GMP (good manufacturing process), a certificate of analysis ( denoting active constituency ie marker compounds, heavy metal analysis via parts per million etc...)a spec sheet indicating the visible organolyptic qualities of the material and then a micro biological test for Aerobic Plate Count, Coloforms, E-Coli etc...so this information is obviously biased since if they sourced material that was high in any of these areas, then they had to go out of their way to pull it off.

How many people die from Big Pharma each year? This is an invasion of your personal rights? Everyone is all worried about gun rights ...well for crikeys sake folks ya better get fearful of losing your inherant rights to growing your own food and medicine!

Isnt it obvious between GMOs via Monsanto, Drugs and AMA, that big corporations are attempting to be able to charge a premium to all of us for EVERYTHING?

Christ, the plan is becoming so obvious...seriously how many people die from anasthetics alone every year? How many people have died from birth control induced cancer? How many people are in a diseased state from food additives like aspartame etc...

The US Pharmacopeia had the exact same ratios of plant,animal and minerally derived medicines as Galens in ROME circa 100 AD.

LEAVE MY MEDICINE AND LIFE THE HELL ALONE damnable freakin corporate greedy controlling bastages.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Which makes them different than the regular food in the supermarket that is considered just fine to sell because........

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Can you elaborate? There is only natural and unnatural. Regular food is the same "medicine" used in many herbal supplements. Lycopene in tomatos, anthocyanidins in dark red/blue fruits, carotenoids in carrots and watermelons etc..

What most people are ignorant of is the fact that herbal companies (the more reputable) produce thier raw materials from whole plant matter, using methods like freeze-drying etc.. to remove the water(upward 75-90% of plant volume) to concentrate the nutritional constituents. "let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food" is the pinnacle expression of herbal medicine, herbs or what we refer to as herbs, you can look at as concentrated foods, to be utilized when a severe deficiency is noted, or excess as the case may be.

All food, all plants have, can have, or can have more than normal levels of many heavy metals etc...however its the parts per million aspect we need to focus on. I assure you you get more mercury in the Tamarisol preservative for booster shots inncoculations etc...then you ever will from a leaf of Nettles used for allergies, or kidney complaints.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Shadowfoot]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This was my point. All of these dangerous chemical concerns are already in the food chain, and already in the food being eaten.

Somehow it isn't dangerous on our food - but it is dangerous in herbal supplements. Which of course are dangerous and cross-reactive with pharm drugs, but also completely useless and never do anything.

Those "protecting" me seems less than genuine.

[edit on 2010/5/27 by Aeons]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Agreed my friend, well said

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have been watching this one for awhile as it is one that truly does scare me. I'm not one that puts much stock in many of the conspiracies posted here but this one stinks bad.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

(May 26) -- Natural supplements ... are often laced with lead, mercury, arsenic and potentially dangerous levels of pesticides.

That means the same chemcals are on lettuce, tomatos, oranges and potatos.

They may be attempting to get us to buy into corporate owned hydoponic mass agriculture.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Freedom or Death]

new topics

top topics

join