It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland hails US missile battery amid Russian criticism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Poland hails US missile battery amid Russian criticism

news.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama scrapped the plan - a move that was welcomed by Russian officials - and announced his own, reconfigured missile defence policy.

Under the Bush administration plan Poland had been due to host 10 long-range interceptor missiles. It is now expected to host a smaller-scale defence base with short-range missiles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I don't understand this move by the Administration. Originally in G.W.'s plan there were to be stationed long range missiles, supposedly to intertcept missiles that would likely be developed in Iran amid concerns that their nuclear program could produce long range missiles.

Now Obama is placing shorter range interceptors near the Polish border for a couple of months at a time several times a year. This has once again upset Russia.

Tell me what you think ATSers. Is this simply a symbolic gesture because Poland has hosted no NATO bases or equipment since joining the alliance, or something else?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
alls i keep thinking about was that there were no patriot missiles before the plane crash .. and now... missiles
"curiouser and curiouser" cried Alice.
who knows though .. just a thought

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Wow this makes a lot of sense. First it was long range missiles to intercept Iranian missiles because Iran apparently is hell bent on nuking Eastern Europe. Now it is short range missiles? Obviously this is supposed to be a threat to Russia (even though it wouldn't do jack against Russian aggression) with nothing to do with Iran.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i guess we do not really care if these are missiles or car building factorys - its all about "offset" for poland buyng f-16s from US .

they promised investments in the deal and so far we got like 10% of the whole thing.

here no one cares if these are nukes or bows .

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
US probably also has newer technology making patriot obsolete so selling these to whomever is a win I guess. As I recall Russia was very furious with this move, officials even talked about nuclear attack in response... there is a MSM article and few ATS threads about it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Russians were not that pissed, they were just trying to point out common sense to the rest of the world that these missiles were put there to provoke Russia, having NOTHING to do with Iran. Russia never threatened nuclear war either, dunno where you pulled that out of. Russia has a much higher chance of nuking Canada over the arctic than nuking Poland because of a handful of anti-air missiles.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

It is old news now, but here's some news articles on it:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.breitbart.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Now, there are others and more informative articles about Russia threatening nuclear attack on Poland. I clearly remember reading Condoleezza Rice calling Russian generals insane or something like that. Those are just some first google search results.

top topics

join