It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kew Bridge eco village in London – MTV Cribs style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Kew Bridge eco village in London – MTV Cribs style

www.telegraph.co.uk

As the parliament green protesters are threatened with eviction, just a few miles west London's only fully working Eco Villagers are contemplating the same fate. For nearly a year a community of thirty or so hardy individuals, ranging in age from six to 65, have been living off a small patch of land next to Kew Bridge in wealthy west London.

Their fate has divided the local community and officialdom. While locals bring donations of food and fuel, the site's owners are seeking to bring in the bailiffs any day now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Secret eco-village tribe living off the grid in wales

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
When I first heard the phrase "eco village" I had always pictured green pastures lined with white domed tents, atmospheric water generators powered on solar panels, a smart, organized, self sufficient, switched on community setting an example and producing new innovative ideas that allow us to live both comfortably (in-line with at least average living standards of today) and in harmony with the planet. Heck, maybe even a communal internet connection.

Sadly that is not the case. This west-London set up would be better described as a collection of hippies scraping on by through whatever rudimentary methods they can cobble together. It looks like they are to be evicted soon with a visit from the bailiffs.

I am completely for the idea and practice of eco villages and there are many fine examples of them such as the one mentioned above however this is not one of them

Remain Vigilant

[edit on 21/05/2010 by bonsaisert]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

Huh, at least gypo's have their own caravans!

These guys are just skiving and using the environment as an excuse. If they really were eco-warriors, they would get a job and actually put some hard earned money towards environmental redevelopment programmes, or even better, get a job working on the environmental redevelopment programmes.

Hippy layabouts!

(Wow, I really am starting to sound like my Dad... when did I get old? Next thing you know, I'll be reading The Sun!
)

[edit on 27-5-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaisert
When I first heard the phrase "eco village" I had always pictured green pastures lined with white domed tents, atmospheric water generators powered on solar panels, a smart, organized, self sufficient, switched on community setting an example and producing new innovative ideas that allow us to live both comfortably (in-line with at least average living standards of today) and in harmony with the planet. Heck, maybe even a communal internet connection.

Sadly that is not the case. This west-London set up would be better described as a collection of hippies scraping on by through whatever rudimentary methods they can cobble together. It looks like they are to be evicted soon with a visit from the bailiffs.

I am completely for the idea and practice of eco villages and there are many fine examples of them such as the one mentioned above however this is not one of them

Remain Vigilant

You been watching too much movies.. Yes if you are a billionaire then sure you can create that dream of yours to life, but billionaires don't give a doodles tits about the eco system, they have all the money to have a wonderful life and die

It seems you don't get why they are in that situation. See if the officialdom was pro Eco village they would have helped this community by supplying them with some experts to direct them.

But it seems that is not the case, I'm suspecting a company is willing to pay a sum of money for that land

They say money makes the world go round..

I don't think it would cost that much to make that place eco friendly and look nice for the dudes in the bus who look like they have never seen any slums ..

They should all go for a tour to Afghanistan lol

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
You been watching too much movies.. Yes if you are a billionaire then sure you can create that dream of yours to life, but billionaires don't give a doodles tits about the eco system, they have all the money to have a wonderful life and die

Well, doesn't it makes more sense to work toward an eco village using money considering that it is the most common medium of exchange?

Basing your model of society on that of travelling caravan owners is not something to be advocated if we want there is to be any hope for progression.

Look at what these people have achieved.

theecovillage.com.au...

www.lammas.org.uk...

Remain Vigilant

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

We have enough engineers, enough carpenters, and enough money to build a little village for them, don't you think?

They can be the ginnie pigs, isn't that the perfect scenario here? But as I suspect the council wants to build something in there, they are not concerned about the eco..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

What exactly does this comment add? You're just making yourself look like an ignorant, bigoted *.

These guys are just skiving and using the environment as an excuse.

If they were just skiving, surely it'ld be easier to just go on the dole, live in a council flat, read the sun and make stupid comments about ethnic minorities.

* Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by dbates]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

What exactly does this comment add? You're just making yourself look like an ignorant, bigoted prick.

These guys are just skiving and using the environment as an excuse.

If they were just skiving, surely it'ld be easier to just go on the dole, live in a council flat, read the sun and make stupid comments about ethnic minorities.

Oh and I thought profanity wasn't allowed here on ATS, especially aimed towards another member.

I apologise for the slur "gypo", I will correct that to the more PC term of travellers.

They pay no tax, they earn no money, they provide very little to no positive service to society and they are certainly not helping the environment, as they make the place look a mess, so I stick to what I said.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Oh and I thought profanity wasn't allowed here on ATS, especially aimed towards another member.

And I thought racism wasn't tolerated but, apparently, it's fine. You know it's a slur and you use it in terms of "these guys are worse than....". Prick is an apt description, not profanity, as in "the prick of a needle"; a mildly irritating mistake that's not important enough to consider for more than a moment.

I apologise for the slur "gypo", I will correct that to the more PC term of travellers.

Here's the ignorance, gypsies are a totally different group of people to travelers, gypsies are usually considered to be Romany where travelers are a distinct group of Irish people with their own language, culture and traditions.

They pay no tax, they earn no money, they provide very little to no positive service to society and they are certainly not helping the environment, as they make the place look a mess, so I stick to what I said.

And there's the naked prejudice, ever hear the saying "sometimes it better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it"?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just found this whilst doing some research, it appears they were evicted at around 8.00am this morning.

www.indymedia.org.uk...

The bailiffs came and evicted us from Kew Bridge Eco Village this morning at 8am! It was fairly peaceful and we managed to resist for a good 3 hours whilst Sev sat ontop of one of the structures and refused to come down! Check youtube for videos soon! But don’t worry! We will have a few weeks break and then we shall open up a new, bigger and better site!

Hopefully they will try and live self sufficiently next time as opposed to relying on hand outs of food from the local wealthy tenants.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yeah whatever , Let people live where they friggan want,they aint hurtin nobody , where the hell do you propose to put the litte 6 yr old, People on here pretend they are all for the movement ,deny ignorance ,stop the illuminati , blah blah blah , YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL THE WANNABES , The ones who have the illusion of being normal , BIG TOUGH AVATARS ..lol.
BUT THEY ALWAYS LACK ONE THING THAT THIER WORDS CANT HIDE ,,,

A LITTLE HUMAN COMPASSION,, NOW ILL FIGHT FOR THAT , YEAH ,ILL FIGHT YOU FOR THAT , ANYDAY ,ANYTIME , LEAVE THE KIDS FAMILY ALONE .....POSERS lol,,,,,,,wha ..? Too dumb to know the social climate these days ?
ARE your eyes open or you just pretend they're open , OUR PLANET , OUR LIFE , PUT THAT IN YA PIPE AND SMOKE IT ......HUmaN ComPassioN ...okay ,have we lernt yet ? Oh i will keep responding , and keep responding , till i win ,okay liers .....(raises middle finger) ..........FREE THE PEOPLE FROM TYRANNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by StaceyWilson

Well, they've been evicted now so it's irrelevant.

I'm afraid your social piety and compassion for mankind holds little weight in the discussion of whether these people were running an "eco-village" (self sufficient) or a squat (reliant on freebies and handouts).

Give credit where credits due.

Remain Vigilant.

new topics

top topics

join