It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
reply to post by Jessicamsa

The guy was probably breaking in to steal something. He wasn't going to kill the old man, come on.

Unless the old-timer is a significant man, I doubt the home-invader would have done anything more than steal.

I don't care what you're breaking in for. You break into by house, gun or no gun, you're dead dead dead.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page.

Are you proud of this fact? Cause thats not a good thing. I sense a "here in texas we kill ppl all the time, no biggie" feel to your post

No, theres a strong "Don't mess with me, I won't mess with you" mentality. To you outsiders we look crazy, but to us we understand that we can't rely on anyone to protect us other than ourselves at any given time. I don't condone random murder, but I strongly support self defense. At least the burglars out here understand the possible outcomes of their robberies.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by LittleSecret

You must be very bored. There's no reason and no tangible evidence to suggest any alternative scenario. Its merely pointless, idle speculation.

So you don't want to reply to any of my points, or claims?

Are you pretending you are not bored? IS that why you don't want to give me a full reply lol....

Don't be shy ^^

Simple:
Evidence can be manipulated, probability can be manipulated, therefore your scenario and mine is both very valid.

Correct?

Or do you suggest your scenario is more valid than mine.

Let's see how smart you are..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I'm not replying to your points because you don't have any. Again, you're just wildly speculating.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page.

Are you proud of this fact? Cause thats not a good thing. I sense a "here in texas we kill ppl all the time, no biggie" feel to your post

Cause I could add: In Newfoundland we don't kill each other left and right and a murder would have made front page for about a month straight!

To be fair mate, you do only have about half a million people in the whole of Newfoundland. There are over twice that many in my nearest city, so yeah, I can imagine murder being quite a big thing there. Murders over here will make the local press (maybe), but only the nationals if they are particularly gruesome, or involve the rich, young or old. Sad, but true.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I'm not replying to your points because you don't have any. Again, you're just wildly speculating.

What am I speculating exactly? That my scenario and yours is as valid?

One question:
Is your scenario [which the report describes], more valid than mine?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by LittleSecret]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
One question:
Is your scenario [which the report describes], more valid than mine?

Its not 'my' scenario. Its the one officially reported by the police. Again, I'm merely asking you to provide some tangible evidence that they're wrong, not mere speculation.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

At least the burglars out here understand the possible outcomes of their robberies.

Have a look at this chart, while Texas does not by any means have the highest gun ownership rate, your avg homicide rate is right up there amonst the highest. Which does convey the "shoot first, ask questions after" attitude.

Gun ownership vs homicide

Which I agree is stereotypical of your state but goes hand in hand with the "we kill ppl here all the time" kind of statements. It makes you appear to have a nonchalant attitude to gun deaths.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by stereovoyaged]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Dude, don't feed the trolls

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

At least the burglars out here understand the possible outcomes of their robberies.

Have a look at this chart, while Texas does not by any means have the highest gun ownership rate, your avg homicide rate is right up there amonst the highest. Which does convey the "shoot first, ask questions after" attitude.

Gun ownership vs homicide

Which I agree is stereotypical of your state but goes hand in hand with the "we kill ppl here all the time" kind of statements. It makes you appear to have a nonchalant attitude to gun deaths.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by stereovoyaged]

Nonchalant? THE GUY WAS BEING ROBBED! Ridiculous. I have a son and a fiance to protect. You try to rob me, Im shooting you. Period. My end of this "discussion" is done. I can see where this is going. Don't try to place YOUR morals on me. YOUR perception is YOUR reality, not everyone else's.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Its not 'my' scenario. Its the one officially reported by the police. Again, I'm merely asking you to provide some tangible evidence that they're wrong, not mere speculation.

ummm weird,,

"You don't know what you are talking about"

Not saying it in a disrespectful manner, but seriously..

1. I clearly stated I'm not questioning the police report:

I'm not saying the most common scenario is incorrect in this case, but rather saying don't just fall for it..

most common scenario = officially reported by the police

2. I'm not questioning the police report, I'm question the mentality of the posters within this thread:

I guess everyone is gonna jump in the [old man defended his life/property][WAGON]

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about every scenario there is to be? Other than the one right in front of you? Or have you been programmed to see one thing and one thing only..

In simple words:
"Expect the unexpected".

3. I'm not in any way judging you, so why are you afraid to answer any questions? or have a discussion which doesn't go back and forth without any outcomes.

Which brings me to my forth point:

tangible evidence that they're wrong, not mere speculation.

4. Does evidence say all? You are in a conspiracy website, I'm sorry if you are not bored like me, but if you are not even going to admit that evidence can be setup, then surely there is no discussion to be held.

That sums up this discussion pretty well I guess

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

I am sorry but if you don't agree that "In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page. ." doesn't sound nonchalant to gun violence, then we have nothing further to say to one another anyways.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

I am sorry but if you don't agree that "In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page. ." doesn't sound nonchalant to gun violence, then we have nothing further to say to one another anyways.

Ok, since your panties are in a bunch. I'll reword it. In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed, AND TRYING TO ROB ME. Me shooting him would've barely made front page SINCE WE ALL UNDERSTAND SELF DEFENSE.

Make you happier? I'd still shoot you if you tried to rob me. We don't live in Euphoria. I live in reality.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

This post of yours proves you are a troll since you add nothing to this thread. Why bother posting, and a one liner?

MODS!!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Make you happier? I'd still shoot you if you tried to rob me. We don't live in Euphoria. I live in reality.

Well I'll stay in my Euphoria and you can stay in your Western movie, k??

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I cannot even picture an 80-year old man accosting a 30-year old man on the street, killing him, and dragging him in through the window that the 80-year old man broke out himself. That's just silly.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hey stereovoyaged, our country has almost 700 times the amount of citizens you have in your little area of Canada. You have no idea what real life here is like. Hell, the city I was born in has twice as many people as your whole province.

I hate to say it, but I'm sure you wouldn't last a year if you were over here. If you think life is all sunshine and rainbows, then you don't know anything. Guns are needed for self defense here, plain and simple. I laugh if you're 27 and have never seen a gun, that's not something to be proud of, that's being naive. That type of crap might fly in your country that nobody cares about, but when you're ready to join the big dogs of the world, pick up a gun and realize what really constitutes power in this world.

If you can't defend your life, why live at all?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Destiny Of Souls]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I hope and pray that the authorities see sense and do not press any charges against this man.

In my eyes he is a hero...

Too many kids look to idiots like Jay Z for role models... well kids, here is a role model for you right here.

It is a Man’s duty to protect his family... In this man’s case, mission accomplished!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

reply to post by Jessicamsa

Good for him. The man has a right to defend himself against an intruder...especially an armed intruder. Its ridiculous that there's even a possibility that he'll be prosecuted for it.

Very true, unfortunately, if this were in the UK, not only would this old man have been prosecuted, he'd have been found guilty and probably died in prison!

You yanks have it right when it comes to defending your homes. Break into my home, BANG, you're dead!

I have always felt sorry for the Brits and Aussies with their arcane gun laws. At some point in the future there will be no one able to protect their homeland from invasion in these countries.

How soon they forget? Did not the typical Brit countryside farmer perform admirably during WWII guarding against invasion? How come the Aussies were not invaded by the Japanese. Most of the SE lands were.

Many of us Yanks will never give up our guns. We do not talk about them. We do not let others know where we have them stashed or buried. We may never have to use them, hopefully, but I will pass mine on before I die because at some point in the future they WILL be used for home or homeland defense. There are just too many people in this world who want what you have and are willing to forcibly take it.

Congrats to the octogenarian who defended his home and his wife. It must be an awful thing to have to choose between staying alive and possibly going to jail. I am sure that I would choose jail also if I lived in the corrupt "gangsta" city of Chicago.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I cannot even picture an 80-year old man accosting a 30-year old man on the street, killing him, and dragging him in through the window that the 80-year old man broke out himself. That's just silly.

See how funny the mentality of most is? They just cant think beyond what they are programmed 2 think..

What if some1 else was involved?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join