It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Good for the 80 year old man! kudos for protecting you and your wife dude
interesting about chicagos gun law though..i think the judge shuold be very leinient on the old man. you have no idea what the perpitrators intentions are, especially with you once breaking in your place of privacy. many many cases, the victims end up dead, all so someone can take a stupid tv or vcr or something.
everyone has a god given right ot stay alive and protect yourself. especially if the perpitrator made out good, told his buddys how easy thier place was to rob...sooner or later, theyde have a few more break ins possibly, threatening thier lives further.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Good for him. The man has a right to defend himself against an intruder...especially an armed intruder. Its ridiculous that there's even a possibility that he'll be prosecuted for it.

Very true, unfortunately, if this were in the UK, not only would this old man have been prosecuted, he'd have been found guilty and probably died in prison!

You yanks have it right when it comes to defending your homes. Break into my home, BANG, you're dead!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that happens to this man, either. Chicago is probably the most anti-gun and anti-gun owner city in the US. This guy will be lucky if he escapes prosecution for the act of defending himself and his wife, which, as the article states, is an absolute travesty.

Then again, the Chicago politicians get to have their personal armed security, so I guess the city is not completely anti-gun
Bunch of damned hypocrites.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

The rich elite can afford security and the law is bent towards their favor and not the common man.

Good post!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Good for the home owner. This is why we have and need a 2nd Ammendment.

Here in NC, we have a "make my day" law, because this very thing happened about 15 or so years ago. the homeowner was going to be prosecuted, and there was such an out cry, the governor played hands off when the trial was hung, and the homeowner set free.
People were incensed and the NC Legislature promptly passed the bill.

Now, if you break into my house and I feel threatened for my life, I can shoot and kill you.

In the country we don't dial 911...we dial .357.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Well, if this man had not broken the unconstitutional law and had a handgun in his home, he would probably be dead right now. It is afterall unlikely that this armed home invader was breaking into his home to play a friendly game of cards.

It will be interesting to see whether or not Chicago prosecutes this man. This will be an interesting case either way.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I guess everyone is gonna jump in the [old man defended his life/property][WAGON]

Who knows the whole story?

For all we know the old man could have stage this whole thing, and for all we know the dead man could be the innocent one here

So think about it, take a second.... diiiiiiiiing

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

I bet the 80 year old man shot some guy randomly on the street then dragged him back to his house and pulled him through a window.

Around 5:00 this morning, 30-something Anthony Nelson broke into the home by breaking out a back window that leads to the elderly couple’s unit. There was a confrontation between the home invader and the homeowner, and the invader shot at the elderly man with his revolver. The homeowner shot back with his handgun, killing the attacker.

Just because he shot at the old man doesnt mean he was going to kill him. Geez.

And that poor poor victim:

“Lenora Nelson said her son loved to draw and build things. She said he obtained his GED in jail and had just signed up for an online carpentry program. "He could fix almost anything," she said.
Nelson was supposed to start a new job next week for a company that cleans out homes before they're remodeled, his mother said.”

Had just gotten his GED in jail and was out on parole.

WGN balanced this out by reporting that Nelson “was on parole after being sentenced to three years in prison for a 2009 drug conviction,” and “had a criminal record that includes a number of other drug or weapons convictions going back to 1998.”

Just curious how much carpentry one can learn online? I learned rock climbing in a book.

More details

[edit on 27-5-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Yeah, I'm sure that 80 year old man and his wife were just out looking for trouble. I'm sure that the guy who broke into their home...carrying a firearm illegally under city law, I might add... and who discharged that weapon at them was just perfectly innocent in all of this. Then again, I'm sure that he wasn't intending to hurt that old man or his wife when he shot at them.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I agree with the old man shooting if the other guy had a gun..it's live or die at that point. BUT, if it were not so easy to get guns none of this would have happened in the first place and now someone is dead. Making handguns easily accessable only ensures that they will be used. I'm 27 years old and I've never seen a real hand gun and the only time I ever hear talk of them is when they are confiscated during large drug busts here.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I bet the 80 year old man shot some guy randomly on the street then dragged him back to his house and pulled him through a window.

Are you saying that is impossible?

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about every scenario there is to be? Other than the one right in front of you? Or have you been programmed to see one thing and one thing only..

Probability is a failure..

I'm not saying the most common scenario is incorrect in this case, but rather saying don't just fall for it..

There are tricky people out there, they might trick you one day.

In simple words:
"Expect the unexpected".

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
In Texas this wouldn't even be an issue. There was someone on my property unlawfully, plus he was armed. Me shooting him would've barely made front page.

Yeah and in my country (Afghanistan) people got tortured and killed without anyone even hearing about it.. Forget about front page..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yeah, I'm sure that 80 year old man and his wife were just out looking for trouble.

Are you saying that is impossible?

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about every scenario there is to be? Other than the one right in front of you? Or have you been programmed to see one thing and one thing only..

Probability is a failure..

I'm not saying the most common scenario is incorrect in this case, but rather saying don't just fall for it..

There are tricky people out there, they might trick you one day.

In simple words:
"Expect the unexpected".

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
I agree with the old man shooting if the other guy had a gun..it's live or die at that point. BUT, if it were not so easy to get guns none of this would have happened in the first place and now someone is dead. Making handguns easily accessable only ensures that they will be used. I'm 27 years old and I've never seen a real hand gun and the only time I ever hear talk of them is when they are confiscated during large drug busts here.

Hand guns are already illegal in Chicago.

This in spite of an amendment that says the right to bare arms shall not be infringed.

The intruder was still able to obtain a gun.

Fortunately, the homeowner had one too.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Are you proud of this fact? Cause thats not a good thing. I sense a "here in texas we kill ppl all the time, no biggie" feel to your post

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Are you proud of this fact? Cause thats not a good thing. I sense a "here in texas we kill ppl all the time, no biggie" feel to your post

Cause I could add: In Newfoundland we don't kill each other left and right and a murder would have made front page for about a month straight!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Unless you can prove that the incident happened in a manner inconsistent with the police report, I think its irresponsible to go around making baseless accusations. Sure, nothing is impossible, heck, donkeys may sprout wings tomorrow and start flying, but the overwhelming probability is that it won't happen. In this case, its exceedingly likely that the situation unfolded exactly as described.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Unless you can prove that the incident happened in a manner inconsistent with the police report, I think its irresponsible to go around making baseless accusations. Sure, nothing is impossible, heck, donkeys may sprout wings tomorrow and start flying, but the overwhelming probability is that it won't happen. In this case, its exceedingly likely that the situation unfolded exactly as described.

No I'm not making accusations, I'm just helping this thread move along..

Donkeys may sprout wings, but we have never seen it, until we see it, the possibility is 0%.

We have seen setups, the probability of 0.00000000000001 is the same is 99%.

If you have 1% chance of winning a lottery, you might win it on your first try ^^

My point is clear, everyone jumps on one side, not giving the other side any room to bread.

Everyone jumps on the side which they are programmed to see as innocent.

Let me give you an example, the Iraq war..

Let me give you another example, if a women files rape charges against someone who you are programmed to see as rape guilty, you will jump on the accuser's wagon, rather than the accused. Would you agree?

A black man living in the street is accused of raping a white women, who is guilty?

I'm not accusing the old man of anything, I'm testing possibilities and probabilities, because as my avatar says: "bored"

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

You must be very bored. There's no reason and no tangible evidence to suggest any alternative scenario. Its merely pointless, idle speculation.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Actually, i've seen gun crime over here rise astonishingly since they were made totally illegal (yet another thing to thank ol' Tony Bliar for). These days, only the criminals have guns. Hell, even our Olympic shooting teams have to go abroad to practice!! If you've never seen a gun, then you're obviously living in a much nicer place than I am!

I say let everyone have guns and make it a level playing field.

I have to say that it is rediculously easy to get a gun in the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join