It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolls taking over / Post limit?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Come on, that was funny with this post,

DID

YOU

LOOK

TO

SEE

IF

WHAT

YOU

POSTED

WAS

COVERED

ELSEWHERE?

Making me ask the same question twice is just making me use up my 30 post limit.

Give me some credit

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
reply to post by sandwiches
Really Sandwiches?
One mans disinfo is anothers truth, it swings both ways as well.
There is no need to put a limit on anybody's posts at all. If you have a solid argument your trolls should not be a problem.

I understand that the truth swings both ways, but my motivation for posting is due to censorship on ATS. I feel that trolls overwhelming the threads is contributing to moderators being overwhelmed and making poor decisions.

I would love to be able to debate these things that are being removed. Unfortunately, the mods won't let the "argument" take place at all.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

I said thanks and then I was just joking back with you.

Sorry if you took it another way.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I would suggest NOT posting a thread in BBQ about how you feel.

There's an ATS issues thread, here and you can also use the complaint/suggestion form in member tools.

If the mods trash something there's always a valid reason, end of story.

If there's an issue you feel needs addressing, then there are channels to go through, such as the alert button found at the bottom of every post.

So, if you think someone is trolling or attacking you personally, there are many other options than creating a thread which calls for limiting free speech.

Then again, it's an old story - there have been so many threads about alleged "censorship" that it beggars belief.

It's not a new or original accusation.

If you feel, after posting here for 2 weeks you can safely make that accusation, then you are seriously mistaken IMO.

If you feel you are being censored, then there are many other boards on the 'net where pretty much anything goes.

[edit on 27/5/2010 by budski]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandwiches
In fact, I do, and I'll tell you why. If the trolls have to switch accounts their enhanced "credibility" gained by being "so familiar" starts to wane. This reduces their chances at overwhelming moderators.

So these trolls do post more than 30 times a day? Can you point me to a thread where I can witness this?

Long time reader, new poster.

Just finally getting worried about the quality of the site? Seems to me that in that long time reading, you would know how things work around here and what is already known to be BS and who is usually respected and trusted to tell the truth here.

Probably because I have not yet started counting posts on ATS.

Then how can you come up with a limit like 30?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I would suggest NOT posting a thread in BBQ about how you feel.

Thanks for the tips. I had of course already submitted a complaint/suggestion, but didn't know the best place to raise this discussion.

So, if you think someone is trolling or attacking you personally, there are many other options than creating a thread which calls for limiting free speech.

...but creating said thread does remain an option.
Again, good tips. It's not so much personal attacks against me I have a problem with, but rather personal attacks against others in place of evidence that supports debunking claims... Maybe some people on here have seen some evidence of a hoax that I haven't. I'm all ears. Please, enlighten me. I have requested such evidence IN threads on the subject, but all I get is, "hoax, hoax, hoax", "crazy lady with a laser". Oh, and flashlights in trees. LOL. Flashlights that fly, land and take-off.. Mmhmm . Sorry, but I'm not convinced.

This topic needs more discussion with proper moderation for personal attacks.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
My oh my, where to begin?

It takes a quorum of mods to mark a single post as off topic. It is never just a single and arbitrary decision. The exception would be in the case of an obvious off topic post. Like pro KKK statements in a thread about Roswell, for example.

Same holds true for just trashing a thread. It takes a quorum there as well. The exceptions would be standing orders like threads/post mentioning personal use of illict substances. Or if the thread originator requests a thread to be removed for a good reason such as a duplicate of an earlier thread topic, provided there are little to no replies.

A thread being moved to a different forum can be petitioned. So that may not require a quorum to do.

Post banning and member banning (two different things) always take quorum to decide, even if it is for obvious reasons such as violating a standing order like discussing personal use.

Two reasons for there to be a quorum: 1. It insures a mutual decision between moderators so that personal feeling and opinions are not the basis of action. 2. It gives a member a second moderator to discuss the action with instead of just the one administering the action.

Notice that both reasons protect the member affected.

As for the PA UFO/orb videos, specifically. Any strong light passing through a diffused source such as clouds or fog will produce that effect. The general consensus is that they are planes flying in a landing pattern with landing lights on. They appear motionless because they are approaching the camera in a straight line and then make their turn towards the airport. Standard landing patterns filmed. The fact that she has added shining a laser pointer at the planes is both illegal and dangerous.

Posting videos of illegal acts is actually a bannable offense as it violates the T & C. Repeated postings, will turn the nice factor of "benefit of the doubt" in time. After all, everyone has their limits.

And for the record, no I am not a mod (nor do I play one on TV). I have just been around long enough to see how these things work. And keep in mind that a quorum can be as simple as "I got a member posting...." "Slap an off topic." "Okay, done."

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
So these trolls do post more than 30 times a day? Can you point me to a thread where I can witness this?

No, please stop asking stupid questions.

[edit on 2010-5-27 by sandwiches]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I would suggest to you, sandwiches that trolling behavior takes a variety of forms. One might consider popping into the 30th page of a thread to promote the Hutchison effect (off topic anyway) and then demanding people prove he is a fraud when he is dismissed would be trolling type behavior. What do you think about that sort of thing, as a long time reader?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandwiches

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

No, please stop asking stupid questions.

[edit on 2010-5-27 by sandwiches]

What is stupid about it? The title of this thread is "Trolls taking over/POST LIMIT"

I am asking you about the logistics of your premise. You proposed a post limit so I want to know how it is going to work. What is stupid about asking how many times these trolls posted? You insist placing a limit of 30 posts a day will stop it so I want to know how. If they posted less than that, then your limit is just a waste of time, no?

I am being quite serious. If you think questions about your premise are stupid, then I suggest you rethink the title of your thread.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Setting a post limit is stupid.
If there are paid trolls then surely they would have the sense (or smarter supervisors) to make more than one account.
Therefore a Troll with say 5 accounts could post 5x29=145 posts with no problems....

It is already a proven fact that Goverments hire people to post propaganda.

Picking who they are is the hard part.

And assuming is, well I saw the Benny Hill idea of ASS U ME

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

100% truth my paranoid friend.

There is also a strong Chinese influence on those who I work for too.

And I'm also based out in the Australian outback.

I'll leave it up to you to put the pieces together

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
It takes a quorum of mods to mark a single post as off topic. --- As for the PA UFO/orb videos, specifically. Any strong light passing through a diffused source such as clouds or fog will produce that effect. The general consensus is that they are planes flying in a landing pattern with landing lights on. They appear motionless because they are approaching the camera in a straight line and then make their turn towards the airport. Standard landing patterns filmed. The fact that she has added shining a laser pointer at the planes is both illegal and dangerous.

Thank you for explaining all this to me. I wish the mod who dealt with me could have done as much.
I am very happy to hear consensus is required and mods don't act independently.

I can't say I agree with the analysis. Lights changing frequency and brightness erratically, shapeless crafts, crafts coming up out of nowhere and 'hovering together', etc. (probably a dozen at once in the latest video, with very few flights on flight aware, so she says) just doesn't seem right. I will evaluate the footage some more, but what will it matter? No threads are allowed on it.

Thanks again. I'll let this thread be closed or something and maybe find a forum that will allow talking about it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

LOL, that comment is strange in so many ways.....

100% truth my paranoid friend.

If I am 100% right, how can I be paranoid?????

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
trolls will always be hear as long as their are internet - Esspecialy those annoying pretentious intelligent ones!

the OP is correct though,. they are influencing MODS now and thast is wrong.

on twi occasions in the last few days, i have seen trolls shouted down (Rightly) by the ats community , only for mods to come along, give everyone in trouble , tell them if they want rid of the troll to press the alert button, then pissing off while doing nothing.

NOTE TO MODS - dont start being all beuracratic and not stepping in unless someone reports something, your not the un... which means you ARE actualy allowed to use your power to delete posts ect if you feeel ... if you see half a thread being offended by a trolls post, which IUS a blatent troll post, how about dealing with it then and not gicing the actual contributing ATS community crap for trying to shout down trolls who can very easily make this forum a waste of time.

the community is what makes this, how about serving them mods!

dont turn into a berucracy!!!!!!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Any normal person makes less than 10 posts a day. Some probably one a week. Why not set some sort of limit to reduce the effectiveness of organized disinformation.

First of all who are you to define what's NORMAL and what is not here on ATS?

Second - You suggest penalizing me by setting a limit on MY posts, because THEY are acting like little children?

You're kidding right?

Not?

Then in my opinion your thread is trolling.

peace

[edit on 27-5-2010 by silo13]

Sorry sandwiches but I totally agree with silo13 ... you can't limit people to the amount of posts they make because of the simple-minded few ... and as someone already metioned it's always worse during the school holidays.

I personally come to ATS every day ... sometimes I'm here longer than other ... sometimes I visit more than once in a day ... sometimes I can go days without posting (just choosing to read) ... sometimes I might post over 10 times a day if I get involved in a couple of interesting threads.

The point I'm making is that people use the site in different ways ... and whilst 'trolling' is extremely infuriating ... and anyone who 'trolls' (IMHO) should be banned if they have had say '2' previous warns ... your suggestion of a post limit is frankly ridiculous and poorly thought out. Sorry !

Woody

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch
Tough but fair, Woody!

What about rate limiting? 5 mins between posts is a reasonable resistor.

The only other option is CAPTCHAs like YouTube

Think about it... the right limit could smooth things over while being minimally invasive...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

5 minutes between posts?? Are you freeking mad..

hey, last 2 guys ... heres my friend, he is called REALITY! let me inotoduce you both to it!

the post limits are completly fine the way they are, mods just need to do more and not wait till their asked to do something , oh, and not try and chastize other forum members for telling trolls to piss off (it is a community after all!)

[edit on 27-5-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The OP's complaint is censorship, and his proposed cure is more censorship?

I suppose it's the fight-fire-with-fire principle.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I probably have 4 posts in the past 3 months after i registered here.May be because i like reading.
But there is fun in seeing trolls argue over things in every topic.
Thats makes it more interesting ,i guess.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by SubjectHero]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join