It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Simpsons" spreading propaganda?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by KEMIK
reply to post by strangleholder1

I love both shows, don't get me wrong. Family Guy a bit more
. Anyway, Think about impressionable kids that are watching that episode, or similar over and over again. What type of message is it sending? I never thought I would have wrote that, wow. I've always struggled with the "nature vs nurture" thing.

It didn't change anything except my view of the media and television.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by KEMIK]

Now you got me curious again.

Mind if I ask what message you think children were getting from this episode?

Just out of curiosity, have you asked any kids what they saw in the episode?

I ask because what you saw a an alternative energy bashing half hour, other people saw as a half hour that included many side stories not actually related to alternative energy at all, such as the whale being beached. I would be curious to see if children noticed that it was separate story lines the same way you did not. I am also genuinely curious what message you think this sends to children and why it is bad. Please.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

I thought I was pretty clear as far as what message it sends.

and

You don't have to agree with a program to enjoy it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Noun

S: (n) propaganda (information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause)

It is all propaganda, the trick is to keep doing what you have done here, divining the message and consciously deciding whether or not you agree.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
They have portrayed Aussies in a negative light on more than one occassion.

Maybe because the owner of FOX is/was an Aussie???

It's a comedy that parodies current events, you read too much into it.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by wookiee]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by slane69

Apparently it's all one big lost cause either way.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
reply to post by KEMIK

Green technology was portrayed in a very ugly light but the main joke was about how the ride was sponsored by oil companies..

This is true. Exxon sponsored Epcot Center in the 80s. Check out this free comic book they used to give out to kids. Talk about propaganda.

Mickey & Goofy Explore the Universe of Energy

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by slane69
Noun

S: (n) propaganda (information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause)

It is all propaganda, the trick is to keep doing what you have done here, divining the message and consciously deciding whether or not you agree.

Agree totally the OP was making a valid pint and wasnt saying it was some sort of great conspiracy, unfortunately some confuse propaganda with conspiracy?
Their are many hues and depths to propaganda?
One could argue the OP bringing up the subject of THe Simpsons is propaganda, but not necessarily conspiracy?
The green energy thing is interesting as well.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I understand that you think it was pretty clear. I however do not. See, I do not feel there was any conspiracy. I also believe you saw a different episode than I did because you attributed every subplot to the green energy subplot when in fact they were all separate.

So, let me ask...

...again...

What message do YOU THINK it was sending. If it was clear to me, I would not ask.

and

I am not sure that is what I said.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

I understand that you think it was pretty clear. I however do not. See, I do not feel there was any conspiracy. I also believe you saw a different episode than I did because you attributed every subplot to the green energy subplot when in fact they were all separate.

So, let me ask...

...again...

What message do YOU THINK it was sending. If it was clear to me, I would not ask.

and

I am not sure that is what I said.

I don't think it is a conspiracy. Key word, "Conspiracy." I would imagine that is the most common word used on this site. The message it sends to me is, "I have the ability, so I will." Do you want every person with the ability to force their beliefs on you? It just seems that all forms of media, education, advertising...etc etc...is bombarding us with what we "should" think in their opinion. Sounds like I'm beating a dead and rotten horse, I know. Where do we draw the line?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I don't think it is a conspiracy. Key word, "Conspiracy." I would imagine that is the most common word used on this site.

For one thing, this is a conspiracy site. I would expect the word "shellfish" to be quite popular on a seafood board.

Another thing, the OP you wrote presents the premise that the writers of the Simpsons have conspired to use the show to promote propaganda. I know the word has a nasty taint to it these days but it is precisely what you are proposing.

The message it sends to me is, "I have the ability, so I will."

Have the ability to and will.....what?

Do you want every person with the ability to force their beliefs on you?

Absolutely not but I do not see anywhere in your thread where you have presented evidence of Simpsons by force.

It just seems that all forms of media, education, advertising...etc etc...is bombarding us with what we "should" think in their opinion.

That is pretty much how it works. At the top of every pyramid is someone simply selling something. That is just how media functions. You do not have to consume it or you can consume wisely. Seems you are going another way altogether?

Sounds like I'm beating a dead and rotten horse, I know. Where do we draw the line?

You can start by drawing lines around what it is you are really saying.

I am not the only person to point out that you clearly misunderstood the episode. You continue to retreat from responding to that. Why is that?

It would seem to me that you are more worried about sticking to your original story no matter how many facts get in the way. Why? Because you are trying to get me to believe like you do?

I find that interesting.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We had the simpsons episode with the '9/11' message.

I just watched a new episode. Season 21 episodw 10. On the chalkboard Bart was writing ' the world will end in 2012 but this tv show won't' or soemthing to that effect.

(so the simpsons is obviously watched on other planets too?)

Anyway after this in the episode Bart has a very brief discussion with his mother about rainbows. It is a very brief, strange , out of place conversation that makes no sense. Bart makes some reference to there being no violet? The colors of a rainbow are red, orange yellow, blue indigo and violet. This is also the color of the chakras. Why is he making this strange comment about violet? Violet reperesents the crown chakra. This is supposed to be personal identification with the infinite, oneness with god, peace, wisdom. Are they declaring there is no god? Violet is the color of spirituality. It is the color of people seeking spiritual fulfillment Anyone else see this or make any sense of it?

peace

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join