It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Simpsons" spreading propaganda?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

Sorry but you lost me there.

I guess I will just leave this thread to you all. I will keep my tv off and not worry about it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
OOOOOOHHHHH Please! And what next, 9/11 made by Matt Goering?

A PROUD LEFTIST -> ONLY FOR YOU!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Its all comedy in the end.
Because we all die.
So we can all be liars and pretend we are this and that, but nothing lasts forever.
We are all the dead?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Dr Conspire are you for real or are you a Google bot that just spits random words and sentences together? Seems like the 2nd option.
Or - WTF are you talking about FFS?

Anyway the Simpsons is a comedy show with an agenda to laugh and mock at political and social events, just like South Park and countless of other cartoon comedies.

If you'll try to interpret every episode of every cartoon or comedy show and act the same like you did in this thread you'll end up with the conclusion that all comedy shows on TV are a propaganda. Which is a stupid conclusion, needless to say.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by SparKzzz]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Google Bot?
I will ignore your harshness kind sir.
Everything created is propaganda
Delusions and illusions
Intrusions and protrusions....doh ....no Google Bot , sit down.
You hit the nail on the head yourself.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Propaganda? Maybe. Still Simpsons are one of greatest US cultural products. Often is plot quite critical to "American way of life" but it is the very kernel of political satire - every society deserve criticism! From my point of view (I'm proud to be anarchist) Simpsons are conformists - they do not criticise system per se but only singular "flaws" in the system - hence reproducing system. Still, it is beautiful show.

On other hand you can use very effective vertical axis wind turbine in urban areas - no noise, no killed birds, no danger when wind is too strong. I'm just working on one such piece - completely DIY, I'll build my own alternator for it.

Batteries are trouble but it is not only way how you can store energy. Compressed air (especially if you use Sterling engine) or massive swing-wheel may be answer depending on setup.
Going of the grid is my dream - I like to be self sufficient as possible.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
liberal and humanist in that order. Flanders,the religious man is a character you can tell is the whipping boy tool of the writers etc. very unkind. and now less funny than Family Guy,despite their atheist leanings. now there's a thread.

MODERN DAY CARTOONS AND SECULAR THEMES.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
DrConspire, the google remark by me meant to say that you are trying too hard to sound dramatic. So hard infact, that you lose all common sense in such posts. Everything on TV is a conspiracy? Sorry mate but you're a loon if you believe that.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
-doublepost-

[edit on 27-5-2010 by SparKzzz]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel_g

I was making more of a point that I would like to watch a show that I've been watching since then early 90's and not have this type of content jammed down my throat, even if it was the opposite. Is there going to be political satire (etc) thrown in? Sure there is, it's all over television. But to focus the whole episode? I just got the sense of, "what the hell am I watching?"

I have not been to an expo of alternative energy, nor did I claim to have knowledge of the technology. My focus was on the reason behind why the writers made a complete episode on this matter.

I've read that one episode takes roughly 9 months to complete. Why would they spend 9 months focusing on this subject?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
All television is propaganda. Not one single program exists that doesnt push an agenda, or attempt to sell something.

You can pick any series, and find an episode that you could make a thread about.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

My IP is not from US net space so I can not watch this particular episode. In fact I do not know about what I'm talking now

But going of the grid or sharing your power with grid is not trivial task - technically and even administratively (in later circumstance). So I'll play devils advocate now: maybe is all the story about such difficulties? Also keep in mind that horizontal axis wind turbines really can be very dangerous.

Edit to add: For sure "green energy market" is full of lunatics and plain frauds.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by zeddissad]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad
reply to post by KEMIK

My IP is not from US net space so I can not watch this particular episode. In fact I do not know about what I'm talking now

But going of the grid or sharing your power with grid is not trivial task - technically and even administratively (in later circumstance). So I'll play devils advocate now: maybe is all the story about such difficulties? Also keep in mind that horizontal axis wind turbines really can be very dangerous.

Edit to add: For sure "green energy market" is full of lunatics and plain frauds.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by zeddissad]

I think you're missing the point a bit (probably because you can't watch it). It's not a matter of which technology is better. I just don't understand why a show that is supposed to be funny run an episode that was anything but. It's like turning your tv to watch baseball and seeing a sitcom instead.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SparKzzz
DrConspire, the google remark by me meant to say that you are trying too hard to sound dramatic. So hard infact, that you lose all common sense in such posts. Everything on TV is a conspiracy? Sorry mate but you're a loon if you believe that.

Mate insult me and mistake my actual words all you like , its your decision which I respect, but you are supposed to debate the content not the sanity of a member of ATS.
I suspect you are the type to goad someone on and when they retaliate you go and run to a mod? No not you , I wouldnt presume to know you enough to condemn you anyway.
Excuse me I have to go google my Bot.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

I don't think I stretched it that far. I simply posted my observation. Thanks for contributing anyhow, it was very helpful and enlightening.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I prefer "Family Guy" myself, I've seen the episode you speak of and at the time I wasn't taking my world view from cartoon shows so it made no impact on me other than to make me sorta laugh....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I just do not understand how something can be a propaganda mechanism when it sends such mixed messages. Know what I mean?

I'm trying to catch up with replies thanks to work, so bear with me.

As far as mixed messages go, think about 90% of the episode that bashed alternative energy. Their comforts were lost...neighborhood turned to a hell hole...etc. The last portion, green peace shows up and basically contradicts themselves.

Is this not leaving you with a choice to make (figuratively)? Sure, you can become a more energy efficient society, but you will lose all of your comforts. Did they offer/portray a solution? No.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by strangleholder1

I love both shows, don't get me wrong. Family Guy a bit more
. Anyway, Think about impressionable kids that are watching that episode, or similar over and over again. What type of message is it sending? I never thought I would have wrote that, wow. I've always struggled with the "nature vs nurture" thing.

It didn't change anything except my view of the media and television.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by KEMIK]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
i think it's a conspiracy the simpsons and south park have been on tv so long. give it up already.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

I completely agree with you "Family Guy" is better. On a side note, that's a very cool avatar you have my friend, very intense. Its like you look at it and then he keeps looking back at you, looking deep into your soul. Like he's God judging you, giving you the eye, I try to hold his stare but the feeling of intenseness keeps growing, growing until it makes me look away. Wow! very intense *oh! look* there he goes again. I must defeat this eyelock he keeps putting me in.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join