It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our whole house just shook!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hi ATSers.

I don't post on ATS just browse but I thought that this might be important.
Around 4 hours ago: 4am in the morning, our entire house shook!

I live in the Northwest of England.It went on for about 8 seconds.
All the car alarms around where we live went off and the electricity died out.Its back on now.

I didn't know we could get earthquakes in England,If thats what it was?

Anyone else in the UK feel anything? I just phones my mother and she said she felt the same shakes.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dotkix

So it took your house shaking to get you to join! HA! We KNEW it would work! Yeah, ATS is to blame, it's a new recruiting program... OOps, I've said to much!

Anyway - ENJOY your time here!

Also - here's a GREAT link to a site that shows real time info on earthquakes, disasters, etc.

RSOE Link - Click here

Your mission, if you choose to accept it - is to go to the site and see if it recorded an earthquake for your region when you said it happened.

If not, maybe it will show something else that did! (Big time car accident, whatever)...

Again, Welcome to ATS!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dotkix

How far does your mother live from you?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by foremanator]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I'm in the northwest (workington, cumbria), I didn't feel a thing. Mind you, i had a vindaloo last night, and I just been number 2, maybe that was it? tee hee.

Yes we get earthquakes here in the UK, there was one last year (or the year before, i forget) down near Barrow // Millom)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Well according to that site there is a biological hazard here somewhere

what really worries me is that the way the earth quakes pattern is going, it looks like its heading my way!

I phoned my mom, who is about 3 miles away from where I live and she said that she felt a shake as well.

it woke everyone up to say the least

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Welcome!

I don't really like the link the above poster showed you, it always seems a bit off, with false reports and such, but heres a Link To the Earthquake page of the British Geological Survey Site, and if you scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a map of the UK with red dots indicating most recent EQ's. None within the last 4 or so days though it says.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
reply to post by dotkix

How far does your mother live from you?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by foremanator]

about 3 miles away

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Hmm, now that I have read your post properly (sorry just woke up), you say 4am? I was asleep then, but when i came through my PC was off and other stuff I normally leave on were on standby, that could mean a power disruption, or it could just mean the dodgy beggars that live in the upstairs flat knocked my leccy on and off again.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
Welcome!

I don't really like the link the above poster showed you, it always seems a bit off, with false reports and such, but heres a Link To the Earthquake page of the British Geological Survey Site, and if you scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a map of the UK with red dots indicating most recent EQ's. None within the last 4 or so days though it says.

how long does it take for that site to update its quake activity.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dotkix

I'm not too sure, im in Australia, i just looked up the site to see if it had info for you, maybe go to the main page and they might have a number where you can report what you felt and your location, they might have some info for you, or thanks to your info, you could help them

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
@bkhaust

I will have a look now thanks

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hi and welcome to ATS!

My goodness, I can see why you would want to know if anyone else was experiencing shaking in your area. I live in Minnesota, USA and so that's too far from you to be of any help in that department. Obviously.

Have you seen any animals, like frogs, gathering in large numbers? They say that animals might be a sign that there's an earthquake coming.

Please keep us posted.

Toni

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antoniastar
Hi and welcome to ATS!

My goodness, I can see why you would want to know if anyone else was experiencing shaking in your area. I live in Minnesota, USA and so that's too far from you to be of any help in that department. Obviously.

Have you seen any animals, like frogs, gathering in large numbers? They say that animals might be a sign that there's an earthquake coming.

Please keep us posted.

Toni

Hi Antoiasstar

Well I have just been on the phone to a few more friends who live up to 10 miles away and they said the same thing.they felt shaking at the same time I did.One of my friends said that he thought it was a dream.

I havnt noticed any animals gathering or anything like that, just humans

I will keep you guys updated and if there is anyone here whop felt something from the UK please post

thanks!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Around 04:10, the DYA (Yadsworthy) recorded some activity.
Here is the link:
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...
Under STATION choose DYA
Then click view.
Notice the activity at 04:10.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Violater1]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Around 04:10, the DYA (Yadsworthy) recorded some activity.
Here is the link:
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...
Under STATION choose DYA
Then click view.
Notice the activity at 04:10.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Violater1]

that was around the time is append. 4 in the morning roughly.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The USGS provide an excellent global earthquake monitoring service. Sign up for their realtime RSS notifications of quakes as they occur. You can specify the minimum magnitude and location for which you wish to receive updates.

They recorded a 4.6 shaker in Chile at around 4am UTC, but nothing in the UK that I can see.

[removed comment about no activity recorded in the UK after reading the previous post]

[edit on 27-5-2010 by treesdancing]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well first Welcome to ATS,

Its nicce to see another UK member here

Hmm Very odd indeed... What are are you? Maybe then we can keep an eye on whats going on in that area? Any military bases there?

And just to note, Yes we do get quakes here in the UK we just dont really feel them unless there about 3/4 mag,

Ask around your area today to see what others are saying too,

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dotkix

Well this is very interesting ... I live in the North East and whilst I didn't feel anything myself, my dog was very agitated yesterday (panting and restless).

She did her whole thunderstorm routine ... eg;

From about 4pm yesterday afternoon she took herself upstairs and lay beyween my bedroom door and the office door (no windows ... she seems to think if she can't see the flashes of lightening they won't get her - bless her little fluffy paws). She even ventured downstairs at one point to come and collect her bone, then took it straight back upstairs with her.

She always does this prior to a thunderstorm (my early warning system) ... but no storm came ... and she stayed up there all night (even reluctant to go out for a 'p') ... but when I got up this morning she was back downstairs in her usual spot.

Maybe she sensed something even from the 'better' side of the Pennines.
(sorry couldn't resist the Pennine dig).

Anyhoo very interesting and certainly gives food for thought.

Woody

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm in the Northwest UK myself aswell. Its not uncommon for the Cheshire fault to be active, although I didn't feel anything myself at 4am last night. Being a heavy sleeper though I would have likely slept through anything anyway, although I am awaken by car/house alarms.

Nothing out the ordinary here but thats not to say something localised such as a collapsed Mineshaft or local fault-rupture didn't occur.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I lived in Los Angeles for three years and in that span I felt two tremors right below me (more or less) that were in the 4.1 to 4.3 range, which felt pretty strong. It's quite common for people to describe them as feeling and sounding a lot like a large truck rolling by and shaking the ground, and I'd say that's about right for what I felt, especially the second one where I was at ground level. The first one I felt I was on the 10th floor of an apartment building and it shook a lot more - the second was more up-and-down and actually lifted me up out of my seat by a few inches, maybe a foot.

It's possible what you felt was a large truck, or if it lasted 8 full seconds, maybe a small convoy rolling by wherever you are. If they were hitting a bad divot in the road, it might have caused a lot of shaking.

(I also felt a 7.2 earthquake when I was in L.A. that lasted 3 minutes, but it was quite far away and didn't shake things up too badly...but it was scary because I didn't know if at any minute it might get much worse.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join