It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protecting Marriage: A commercial playing in MN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

It's a US thing I think, to make it more of a legal aspect than a religious aspect. It is a ceremony, and the specific one the West use derives directly from Christianity.. however it is also a legal contract..

I'd have to say I agree with another poster who said leave marriage as marriage and give civil unions the same rights as married people.. gays can still call eachother wife and husband and all that mushy crap, just the legality of it would be different.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by slane69

As far as your question of when does it stop, it stops at two people. That's it. The argument that Gay Marriage would lead to marrying children, animals, and multiple marriage. That is called a slippery slope.

I strongly disagree, it stops wherever society says it stops at a particular time. If marriage is defined only by human beings then it can be changed into whatever form the majority believes it should take. That said you are correct it is a slippery slope, and we are on it.

Well, good thing that in the realm of reasoning, you've failed to connect where gays being marriage leads to children or animals or multiple marriages occurring

Because last I checked...children are not adults and thus can not consent to marriage or sex....animals are animals and can not consent to marriage or sex....and well actually I don't see anything wrong with polygamy.

But really, you people absolutely warp my mind when you try to correlate gay people getting married with animals or kids getting married. What drugs are you on, and seriously, where can I get some?

This "issue" is a non-issue. As much as abortion is an issue. It's the government entering the realm of someones private business. And at least with abortion, there is some argument to justify making it an issue. With gay marriage, you're effectively legislating love and purposely making their lives harder by not giving them the legal benefits marriage brings.

Seriously, I dare anyone against gay marriage to look up what gay couples miss out in benefits from not being able to marry. It's a fairly extensive list. Look it up and tell me it isn't a little mess up to try to justify not letting them be married.

And by married, I mean by the state. Call it whatever the hell you want. I agree a church has the right to allow or deny marriage to anyone. They should be given the benefits marriage brings.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

There's room for both religious and non religious marriage. Marriage in the traditional sense does have to do with God. It's a committment before God made by a man and a woman to become married. Marriage not in the religious sense is what you say, a committment by a man and woman to be together. But marriage in the legal sense is the forming of a union, like a company or corporation. For example, you take a significant tax hit "the marriage penalty" when getting married, which really sucks.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Here is the problem I have with that. By not allowing same sex couples to call themselves married like everyone else then we are still separating them and basically creating a hostile "us vs them" environment.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Here is another thought I have to ponder about this.

I think we have other things in our country to worry about that are way more important that this issue yet it seems that they are making this a bigger issue than it should be.

I know that this issue has been brought forth as being something to keep our attention away from bigger or better things. Is it possible the government doesn't really give a hoot whether or nor same sex couples get married and just want to divert our attention away from something else?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This topic makes me weep for humanity. How anyone could be so stupid or so evil to tell others how to live based on contrived notions off of a made up pyramid scheme is just ridiculous. However it's topics like Gay Marriage and the ensuing sludge of hate and fear that passes for mainstream dialogue that makes me hope the bombs will fall soon and wipe this failure of a species off the earth.

Seriously what difference does it make if gays can get married? None? So what's the problem? Yeah America is so much more advanced than Islamist nations.

I can't be nice about this because there's no gray area. If you're against gay marriage, you're either a bigot or you're retarded and probably a little of both. There's no in between on this topic.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
These threads are great for revealing who is a bigot and/or a religious psychotic.

Fact: there are no acceptable arguments against homosexual marriage that are not based in religion and/or bigotry.

If you oppose homosexual marriage you are either a bigot, a religious bigot or a repressed homosexual unable to deal with those feelings.

It's that simple.

Have a great day!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join