It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nokia's New Marketing Strategy - Use Conspiracy and Fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The story goes that a group called "Conspiracy for Good" obtained a leaked video from "Blackwell Briggs" a UK security company. The video below is a plea from the CEO to lawmakers to pass two controversial pending legislations to limit facial recognition software to accredited businesses.

The video alone is convincing as it is a very high quality 4 minute video. Nokia is never mentioned but the phone that the CEO uses as part of his plea is clearly a Nokia made phone.

Both the site "Conspiracy for Good" and "Blackwell Briggs" were registered a week ago.

The scary part is that they invent a famed violinist working for "Conspiracy for Good" that publishes the leaked video only to "disappear" a couple of days later - presumably the victim of foul play by the Blackwell Briggs.

This type of marketing is simply sick and will no doubt continue to blur the lines between truth and lie in the future. With a couple of tweaks this could have easily passed the smell test and fooled many.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by ararisq]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
A guy named John Hudghton apparently caught on to the ruse as well. He has a good summary of it at The Nokia – Blackwell Briggs – Conspiracy For Good – Crap Viral Campaign.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Here is what I think. Companies are jumping on the conspiracy theory wagon. The 2012 fever has given rise to conspiracy theory becoming popular right now, thus we will see more companies using CT in their advertising. Us CTers have money to spend too.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't think this has anything to do with Nokia, it just happened to be a Nokia phone that the guy was using. This kind of thing will only serve to help dismiss real issues with hoax marketing campaign.

--airspoon

Edited to rework last sentence due to new understanding.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I don't think this has anything to do with Nokia, it just happened to be a Nokia phone that the guy was using.
[edit on 26-5-2010 by airspoon]

You might be right. This is very early in the viral marketing - according to the comments on the website I linked to above this is originating from Tim Kring the creator of the TV show Heroes. A commenter with supposedly inside knowledge does admit that Nokia is involved. The quality of the videos are very good so someone with a lot of cash and something to sell is involved.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Check this out!

[edit on 5/26/2010 by thepathoverseer]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I should also point out that they are using Twitter to market Blackwell and linked to an actual IRA car bombing in April to try to give credibility to the campaign.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'm trying to link this

www.youtube.com...

not sure how to link video ^_^;;

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepathoverseer
I'm trying to link this

www.youtube.com...

not sure how to link video ^_^;;

I think I got it. The id was "kpQaCHY--pA" including the --pA. I did the same thing at first only selecting up to the Y.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thepathoverseer

The shocking part is that they actually found some people to say it was a great idea and it would make them feel safer. I don't see how film of you being beaten to a pulp or stabbed should make you feel safer.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Oh, I see. Thanks.

I think every conspiracy has tiny bit of truth although not everything may be true.

But yikes, i think we are heading to the direction of giving away our freedom if nothing is gonna be done.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepathoverseer
But yikes, i think we are heading to the direction of giving away our freedom if nothing is gonna be done.

I guess what disturbed me was that its believable and that they were using real events to back it up.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Yep, that site best explains everything.

Just look at the registration dates of the domains, proof enough.

I am glad I stopped using Nokia products a long time ago, this stuff sickens me.

Nokia, now officially endorsed by Big Brother.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
thanks for sharing im a newbie to this forum , im glad to being with us ...its useful to me i in search of this information thanks

new topics

top topics

join