It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Eyeballing' Vodka Fad Becomes New Danger for Teens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

A new trend among teenagers throughout the world has concerned doctors who have said there is a danger the fad will turn people blind.

Article Source

Doctors have reported that some youngsters are indulging in a new drinking game, where they pour vodka into their eyes. Optometric experts have said pouring vodka on the eyeball can take off the top layer of the cornea, possibly leading to blindness.

The eyeballing fad has been exacerbated by online videos which have emerged on popular teen web sites. The practice takes place when a participant is already drunk and has nothing to do with increasing the effect of alcohol.

What in the hell is wrong with these kids
I've never even heard of this and I like to consider myself to be pretty abreast of these types of fads (with my teen girls & all). This reminds me of the erasure test.

Two people would take a pencil erasure and commence to rubbing it on their skin, the first one to wince in pain lost. However, this makes that look mild. Risk blindness to be cool at a party
crazy kids these days.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That is totally insane!
Peer Pressure

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I knew a guy that did a trick with tequila that involved putting it in his eye - it was stupid then, and kids doing it now is still stupid (with whatever alcohol).

Why the hell would you bother?

ugh. Kids nowdays.

Edit: spelling.

[edit on 26/5/2010 by bkaust]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What the HE!! is going on in their mind!

My jaw hit the floor when I read this.
Whats next? Bleach to the genitalia?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Kids are crazy - I would think if they go to school and have parents they would know alcohol in the eyes can burn. Oh that's right they get too drunk to know anything. Help!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Its just natural selection at work. In a couple hundred thousand years human beings wont be idiots anymore.

Maybe.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

In a couple hundred thousand years human beings wont be idiots anymore.

Cheers to hoping!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

People used to put liquid '___' in their eyes...nothing bad ever happened.

I saw this tattoo show on TV recently where they were tattooing the whites of their eyes blue, with ink...early adopters, fer sure.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This really does not sound like a good idea.

"Optometric experts have said pouring vodka on the eyeball can take off the top layer of the cornea, possibly leading to blindness. "
(source article in OP)

I remember watching Steve-o squeezing lemon juice into to his eye. They should just speed up the natural selection and snort it. Be fun to watch them drown. *shakes head* the future voters of america....

Druidae

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Yeah its plain stupidity.

In my opinion. Youtube has its pros and cons. One video of someone doing a "Eyeball Shot" will be seen by plenty, and some will want to attempt it just to post it so people could see it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Had friends that did this when i was younger...im still relatively young mind you. I honestly don't see why the big fuss now, i thought it was a well known 'trick' if you could call it that. Mostly happens after they are already drunk, group mentality and peer pressure pushes someone who is slightly more drunk than the rest to attempt it for the comical benefit of everyone else. Hell i don't know, maybe they just like doing it these days...madness either way.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well liquid '___', does not burn the eye. I got alcohol in my eye once before, forget how. All I remember was the intense burning. Anyone who does this on purpose is just stupid.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

This is right up there with the young idiots kicking each other in the nards.

I guess that one (at least) will keep them from breeding more idiots!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

From the video, the only purpose is to put yourself in pain? If you've ever seen the movie Idiocracy (although a comedy) this makes it more and more believable.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Yeah, like this...makes you wince...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I remember when I was in Middle School back in the mid-1980's, a bunch of idiots in my grade started playing some game where you rub an eraser on the back of your hand and see who can hold out the longest. Actually, I think another person did the rubbing but you could tell them when to stop. Kids did it until they rubbed all the skin off a patch of the back of their hand, leaving big nasty scars.

I once asked them why they were doing it and they said, "it's cool!" I didn't get it then, and I don't get this now. But there's nothing new under the sun about this. It's a stupid, crazy ritual self-mutilation or abuse and self destruction that seems to be a common theme among young men of a certain age range. I've never had an impetus for it, but I think there's an instinct that causes it, something very primal, because I see these kinds of things come up time and time again.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the guys in high school who would freeze bottles of mouth wash in hopes of drinking the liquid that didn't freeze.

Never knew if that stuff was really alcohol or not but I saw more people getting horrendously sick than drunk.

I'll be sure to put that on my list of things kids in high school are doing today.
I've still got huffing cat pee, dressing up as a werewolf and sexting to do before I tackle this bad boy.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Stuff em, let em go blind.

Maybe it'll take a few close friends losing their sight to make these ass-clowns wake up to themselves

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yeah, think that burns you should see somebody get into a bath of champagne.

(No, it wasn't me).

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
I remember when I was in Middle School back in the mid-1980's, a bunch of idiots in my grade started playing some game where you rub an eraser on the back of your hand and see who can hold out the longest. Actually, I think another person did the rubbing but you could tell them when to stop. Kids did it until they rubbed all the skin off a patch of the back of their hand, leaving big nasty scars.

I once asked them why they were doing it and they said, "it's cool!" I didn't get it then, and I don't get this now. But there's nothing new under the sun about this. It's a stupid, crazy ritual self-mutilation or abuse and self destruction that seems to be a common theme among young men of a certain age range. I've never had an impetus for it, but I think there's an instinct that causes it, something very primal, because I see these kinds of things come up time and time again.

that also reminds me of when at school, 'frosties' were the done thing, where you'd get your spray deodorant and hold it on a mate, and whoever held out the longest won. Never tried that. But i stupidly have a 'smiley' on my hand from the top of a lighter, you light a regular bic lighter until its hot, then press it into your skin, and it leaves a smiley face scar. Sigh. I guess it would be hypocritical to continue calling these kids idiots ;p.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join