It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Republicans Call for Special Prosecutor in Sestak Case!: (the beginning to the end?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Obama's bringing in the big guns to stonewall this inquiry/investigation.

After three months of zipped lips and feigned ignorance, the Obama White House is finally taking real heat over Pennsylvania Democratic Rep. Joe Sestak's consistent claims that the administration offered him a job to drop his Senate bid. Now it's time to redirect the spotlight where it belongs: on the top counsel behind the Washington stonewall, Bob "The Silencer" Bauer.

Bob Bauer is Obama's chief legal henchman and sidekick to Emmanuel.

Bauer's answers? Zip. Nada. Zilch. While the veteran attorney ducked under a table with the president, Gibbs stalled publicly as long as he could -- deferring inquiries about the allegations one week by claiming he had been "on the road" and had "not had a chance to delve into this," and then admitting the next week that he had "not made any progress on that," refusing the week after that to deny or admit the scheme, and then urging reporters to drop it because "whatever happened is in the past."

But the laws governing such public corruption are still on the books. And unlike Gibbs, the U.S. code governing bribery, graft and conflicts of interest is rather straightforward: "Whoever solicits or receives ... any ... thing of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

www.thefoxnation.com...

Bob Bauer is married to Anita Dunn, Obama's former Communications Director, You know the one who loves Chairman Mao.

Bauer is very well connected.

A partner at the prestigious law firm Perkins Coie, Bauer served as counsel to the Democratic National Committee, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and Obama for America. He also served as legal counsel to the George Soros-funded 527 organization America Coming Together during the 2004 campaign. That get-out-the-vote outfit, helmed by Patrick Gaspard (the former Service Employees International Union heavy turned Obama domestic policy chief), employed convicted felons as canvassers and committed campaign finance violations that led to a $775,000 fine by the Federal Election Commission under Bauer’s watch.

As I’ve reported previously, it was Bauer who lobbied the Justice Department unsuccessfully in 2008 to pursue a criminal probe of American Issues Project (AIP), an independent group that sought to run an ad spotlighting Obama’s ties to Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers. It was Bauer who attempted to sic the Justice Department on AIP funder Harold Simmons and who sought his prosecution for funding the ad. And it was Bauer who tried to bully television stations across the country to compel them to pull the spot. All on Obama’s behalf.

More significantly, Bauer has served as Obama’s personal attorney, navigating the corrupted waters of former Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s pay-for-play scandals in Illinois. Bauer accompanied Obama to an interview with federal investigators in Chicago. And he’s got his hands full fighting Blago’s motion to subpoena Obama in the Senate-seat-for-sale trial — a subpoena that included references to a secret phone call between Obama and Blagojevich; an allegation that Emanuel floated his own suggested replacement for Obama’s seat; an allegation that Obama told a “certain labor union official” that he would support (now-White House senior adviser) Valerie Jarrett to fill his old seat; and a bombshell allegation that Obama might have lied about conversations with convicted briber and fraudster Tony Rezko.

michellemalkin.com...

They don't call him Bob "the silencer" Bauer for nothing. He is certainly not Bob "the boyscout".

On November 13, 2009, Greg Craig announced his formal resignation as White House legal counsel. Craig’s resignation comes after several questionable decisions, including his advice to release interrogation memos and photographs of detainees held under the Bush administration. Combined with Craig’s failed attempt to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center by the end of the year, his resignation came as no surprise. His replacement? Robert (Bob) Bauer, President Obama’s private attorney and the husband of recently resigned White House communications director Anita Dunn.

Bauer has publicly defended President Obama’s connections with ACORN, the controversial group currently under investigation in several states. Republican Congressman Steve King of Iowa said that “Bauer’s hiring appears to be a tactical maneuver to strategically defend the White House exactly one week after Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell raided ACORN’s national headquarters in New Orleans and seized paper records and computer hard drives that may lead to the White House.”

At Judicial Watch, Bauer’s name recently surfaced within documents requested from the Federal Communications Commission. While working as General Counsel for Obama’s presidential campaign, Bauer wrote a letter warning stations not to air anti-Obama advertisements sponsored by the National Rifle Association (NRA). Bauer’s letter attempted to refute the NRA’s claim that Obama would limit second amendment rights. In his response to the ad, Bauer criticized the stations that chose to air the advertisement, stating that "For the sake of both FCC licensing requirements and the public interest, your station should refuse to continue to air this advertisement.” Bauer also added:

Unlike federal candidates, independent political organizationsdo not have a "right to command use of broadcast facilities." Because you need not air this advertisement, your station bears responsibility for its content when you do grant access. Moreover, you have a duty "to protect the public from false, misleading or deceptive advertising." Failure to prevent the airing of "false and misleading advertising" may be "probative of an underlying abdication of licensee responsibility." This advertisement is false, misleading, and deceptive. We request that you immediately cease airing this advertisement.

Bob Bauer has an established reputation as an “aggressive” counsel, and has won enemies on both sides of the political aisle for his tactics. During the presidential election he allegedly crashed a conference call held by Senator Clinton’s campaign, and is also involved in several lawsuits surrounding Obama. As Obama’s personal attorney and chair of the Political Law Group of Perkins Coie LLP, Bauer represented the President during former governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich’s corruption investigation. Additionally, Perkins Coie is currently defending challenges to Obama’s citizenship. Bauer’s new role as White House counsel will no doubt prove interesting.

www.judicialwatch.org...

This guy has got Obama's back. Hence the glib nature of "Teflon Obama"

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Your mini makes you interesting.

But, what makes you think I didn't want actions against Bush? Nice jump there. lol

A job offer-nothing, a job offer to stiffle the public voting system. That's a crime.

EDIT to add: To be honest-out of this issue, what I want. Is Sestak to be found to be a liar and this DIDN'T happen. Therefore he would most likely be toast in the upcoming election and then the Rep. runner-Toomey would be the shoe it. I'm from PA (where these guys are).

Sometimes you have to take out the General to get to the lower officers (so-to-speak).

[edit on 5/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
The Joe in the mornng show is just one of his interviews. There are a slew of them whre Sespak stated what happend. Since you really aren't interested-no matter how many of them there are-I won't bother.

I'm interested. Everything I've read says Sestak is being closed-mouthed. I want to know exactly what was said and by whom. Has he come out with that information?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Good Morning: This month: Closed mouth-other than to say the offer was made:

The White House was backing incumbent Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) in the primary. Sestak acknowledged in an interview in February that he was offered a position by an unnamed White House official - a potential violation of federal law - but has not offered any specifics on conversation. Republicans are trying to use the issue against Sestak in the November Senate race.
Source: www.politico.com...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checked out the other post I did with the Joe in the Morning show, it was the President that did it: www.eyeblast.tv...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gotta love this one:

Specter says alleged job offer to Sestak is a federal crime, if it happened
By Laura Vecsey
March 11, 2010, 6:30AM

Joe Sestak, when asked if he had been offered a job in the Obama administration to not run against Arlen Specter, said yes. Something happened in July of 2009, Sestak said.

On MSNBC, Specter told Andrea Mitchelll this was a federal crime, if it happened. I am sure someone at the W.H. is saying: Thanks Arlene!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sestak: White House Offered Me A Job To Get Out Of Specter Primary
Rep. Joe Sestak (D., Pa.) said yesterday that the White House offered him a federal job in an effort to dissuade him from challenging Sen. Arlen Specter in the state’s Democratic primary.

The disclosure came during an afternoon taping of Larry Kane: Voice of Reason, a Sunday news-analysis show on the Comcast Network. Sestak would not elaborate on the circumstances and seemed chagrined after blurting out “yes” to veteran news anchor Kane’s direct question.

“Was it secretary of the Navy?” Kane asked.

“No comment,” Sestak said.

“Was it [the job] high-ranking?” Kane asked. Sestak said yes, but added that he would “never leave” the Senate race for a deal.
Source: news.firedoglake.com...
(Note: Seems to me that it was the interviewer that started the Sec. of Navy thing).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White House Accused of Federal Crime in Specter, Bennet Races

"Whoever solicits or receives … any….thing of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both." -- 18 USC Sec. 211 -- Bribery, Graft and Conflicts of Interest: Acceptance or solicitation to obtain appointive public office

"In the face of a White House denial, U.S. Rep. Joe Sestak stuck to his story yesterday that the Obama administration offered him a "high-ranking" government post if he would not run against U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania's Democratic primary."

Philadelphia Inquirer: February 19, 2010

"D.C. job alleged as attempt to deter Romanoff"

Denver Post-September 27, 2009

For the second time in five months, the Obama White House is being accused -- by Democrats -- of offering high ranking government jobs in return for political favors. What no one is reporting is that this is a violation of federal law that can lead to prison time, a fine or both, according to Title 18, Chapter 11, Section 211 of the United States Code.

Source: spectator.org... (awesome story)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the original story from the Philly Inquire:
Sestak says federal job was offered to quit race

After yesterday's taping, Sestak said he recalled the White House offer coming in July, as he was preparing to formally announce his Senate candidacy in August. He declined to identify who spoke to him or the job under discussion. Sestak also would not say whether the person who approached him worked for the administration or was an intermediary for the offer.

"I'm not going to say who or how and what was offered," Sestak said in an interview. "I don't feel it's appropriate to go beyond what I said," because the conversation was confidential.

Source: www.philly.com...

I think that is about the best I can do for you now. I wasn't feeling to lazy today so....
) (maybe a star or flag in order-hmmmmm) have a good day. I sure hope you are smiling.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
None of that is Sestak saying ANY more than A JOB was offered in exchange for him getting out of the race. We know that much. He refuses to say more. He hasn't even confirmed that it was the Navy job, no matter what Mika and Joe inferred from that interview.

I think, if there WAS a job offer, Sestak needs to say more. He's not even saying from whom this alleged job offer came.

I actually think he's lying. There's more to this than we know.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I agree with you. I didn't put that in that response with all stories as I wanted to see what you would say.

Like I said, someone is on the hot seat here. W.H and/or Obama? Don't think so (with what we have known to us now)-maybe an underling?

But, as I said previously, I think Sestak got himself in a bind and now, if he changes his story or anything else, he stands to be overrun by the Republican runner in November. Which to me, a win for the Repub and getting another Senate seat is better than some impeachment attempt.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by anon72

This is hysterical and second hand information from private and casual conversations that took place months ago.

If you see the interview he says the position was offered but no where does he say he was asked to quit the race. He presumed that would be the case. In fact everything that supposedly took place was presumed.

all you want in your pitiful attempts to defend the obama administration on "sestak-gate", but it won't "cover up" the facts.

The truth is and (apparently almost) anyone can see it is that there was a quid pro quo offered - quit the race for a high government job.

How to know this?

Soooooooo simple.
You can't be a senator and secretary of the navy, etc. at the same time.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I agree with you. I didn't put that in that response with all stories as I wanted to see what you would say.

What kind of game are you playing? You said, "There are a slew of interviews where Sestak stated what happened". Where are they??? Or are you saying that you were lying when you said that?

Like I said, someone is on the hot seat here. W.H and/or Obama? Don't think so (with what we have known to us now)-maybe an underling?

That's possible. Sestak has made a claim. He needs to be forthcoming or else retract his statement. And you're right about why he's not saying any more. He's gotten himself in a bind:

I think Sestak got himself in a bind and now, if he changes his story or anything else, he stands to be overrun by the Republican runner in November.

Originally posted by centurion1211
You can't be a senator and secretary of the navy, etc. at the same time.

You may have inadvertently stumbled upon on what actually happened! It's VERY possible that Obama offered Sestak the Sec. of the Navy position and then said, "Unfortunately, you won't be able to continue with your run for the Senate if you accept the position." And Sestak turned it around in his head to be a job offer to give up his run!

By God, Centurion, I think you may have it!
Good job!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What kind of game are you playing? You said, "There are a slew of interviews where Sestak stated what happened". Where are they??? Or are you saying that you were lying when you said that?

Come on now. google it. I got 112,000 hits on this topic. You can go to the Philly Inquire and read about it all and the repeated interviews and claims made by Sestak. Don't go getting lazy on me today....
)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

You made the claim. I'm asking you to back it up.

In fact, I have been scouring the Internet looking for more info in this and I can't find it. It's looking to me as though you've made a claim (sort of like Sestak did) and now you can't back it up (sort of like Sestak can't).

Either you lied (like I believe Sestak did) or... I can't think of another option. These games aren't welcome in politics and they aren't welcome on ATS.

The Joe in the mornng show is just one of his interviews. There are a slew of them whre Sespak stated what happend.

Please back up this statement or take it back. Thanks.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Meet the Press this past Sunday.

Sestak confirms WH job offer to get out of Senate race

Rep. Joe Sestak, winner of the Pennsylvania Democratic Senate primary, is refusing to provide more information on what job he was offered by a White House official to drop of that race, although he confirmed again that the incident occurred.

The White House was backing incumbent Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) in the primary. Sestak acknowledged in an interview in February that he was offered a position by an unnamed White House official - a potential violation of federal law - but has not offered any specifics on conversation. Republicans are trying to use the issue against Sestak in the November Senate race.

"It's interesting. I was asked a question about something that happened months earlier, and I felt that I should answer it honestly, and that's all I had to say about it." Sestak said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "Anybody else has to decide on what they will say upon their role. That's their responsibility."

Yet Sestak confirmed to NBC's David Gregory that the incident did take place.

"I was offered a job, and I answered that," Sestak said. "Anything that goes beyond that is for others to talk about."

www.politico.com...

Perhaps Sestak is waiting for a formal investigation before he reveals the person who made him this offer. If he is lying, his goose is cooked.

I don't consider any allegations to be strange with this administration. Frankly, this has Rahm Emmanuel written all over it. Just a little Chicago style quid pro quo.

Obama has the best in the business watching his six.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

In addition to the ones already noted above:

Sestak on White House offer to get him out of PA primary
www.youtube.com...

Interview With Congressman Joe Sestak with David Pakman
www.youtube.com...

Bigger then Watergate
www.youtube.com...

Clip 4B, Albert Torcaso Interviews Congressman, Joe Sestak A Candidate for US Senate (PA)
www.mefeedia.com...

Sestak: White House offered a job to keep him out of primary
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Sestak confirms White House job offer, blames 'right wing Republicans' for focusing on it
www.washingtonexaminer.com... on-it-91848869.html#ixzz0p9V0oGhv

Sestak on White House Job Offer
www.youtube.com...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, maybe you put in the wrong search terms or something.?

And. please don't call me a liar because you couldn't find something. No reason for you to be caustic- I treat you with respect-I expect the same.
I enjoy our discussions and I do appreciate your input into my threads as you do make me think etc.

[edit on 5/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Obama finally speaks on the matter. He says "nothing improper" took place. So, something definitely took place and they have had since Feb. to get the story correct. I can't wait to hear the official WH explanation of what took place. Perhaps they have gotten to Sestak already, which could explain his reluctance to elaborate further on the allegations while the WH prepares the official story. Nothing surprises me any more.

President Obama said Thursday that the White House is preparing to issue a formal explanation regarding the allegation that it offered Rep. Joe Sestak a job to drop out of the Democratic primary race against Sen. Arlen Specter.

The president, addressing the matter in public for the first time since the Pennsylvania congressman leveled the claim in February, said the statement should answer questions
about the claim and insisted "nothing improper" happened.

"There will be an official response shortly on the Sestak matter," Obama said, when asked about the issue by Fox News
at the president's press conference. "I mean shortly -- I don't mean weeks or months. ... I can assure the public that nothing improper took place."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs has also said nothing improper happened, but refused to elaborate when asked repeatedly about the charge at Thursday's briefing.

Sestak, who did not drop out and won the race against Specter last week, repeated his allegation in an interview on Sunday, but also declined to elaborate.

Obama Says 'Official' Explanation Coming 'Shortly' on Alleged Sestak Job Offer

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So, Obama was moving his lips about this--- then he's lying.

Is the media even asking him about the other guy that alleged he had rec'd a similar offer?

Sestak was in July 09 (I believe) and the other on was in Sept 09. Hmmm.
Ah, give him ANOTHER PASS.....

Whatever happen to the investigative reporter types? Must be all at Fox.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

NONE of those have any details. They offered him a job to get out of the primary. That's it. You're pulling my chain and I'm done with it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Clearly, something went down. Unfortunately, with cases like these you have to strike while the iron is hot. This case should have been brought to the forefront when the story first broke. Way before the primary.

Obama and his henchmen have their ways of keeping the lid on "things" and people. Just look at how Obama is wiggling his way through the Blago investigation and subpoena. The chap has a damn good lawyer.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

"There are a slew of interviews where Sestak stated what happened".

In everyone of those he told what happened-as I said. I can't make him say anymore. Those ARE the details-that I meant and heard.

Isn't the the freaking problem-no one has specfic details? Had they there wouldn't be the mess going on-would there?

The good thing is that is doesn't matter if I make you happy. I try but....

I will just leave it at I think we are on two different levels of thinking on this. Sorry for any disconnect or misunderstanding but I stand by what I wrote.

Onto the next thread.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join