It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frogs Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Frogs Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake?

www.thaindian.com

British scientists, however, may have another theory. In a study released just last month, in April of 2010, UK biologist from Open University and others showed that frogs often “predicted” earthquakes by their actions. In fact, a 6.3 magnitude earthquake which occurred in Italy on April 6,2009, killing over 300 people, and leaving over 40,000 homeless, was foretold by the actions of nearby frogs for five days prior to the quake. Over 96% of the male frogs in the area began to gather up, and hundreds of frogs fled together, just days before the quake hit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I had never heard of this theory before. Apparently, they're predicting an EQ in Turkey or Greece within the next 24 hours because of the "Frog Flood" recently in Greece. The story goes on to report:

Another incident in 2008, in which a major earthquake hit China, was also predicted by a mass migration of frogs. On May 5th, 2008 there was a huge migration of frogs, which left the citizens of central China with a bad feeling. They insisted that it was a bad omen, but the government told them the frog’s migration was normal. On May 12, an earthquake hit central China killing 12,000 people.

The frogs are not alone. A few seismologists are stating that their analysis shows a major earthquake could occur in Greece or Turkey within the next 24 hours.

www.thaindian.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Wow... Creepy.
Hoping that these froggies are just out and about for a little jog or something...
Last thing Greece needs is a quake right now.. yikes!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Maybe British Petroleum (aka Amoco) is at fault from pumping out too much
oil and allowing a shifting of the continental plates which will affect Greece
with an Earthquake?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yea i read something a while back about animals going to higher ground before tsunami's and migrating before earthquakes. There are also some stories of tribes moving to higher ground before a natural disaster. I did a short search and found this. www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this for the next week. Will be interesting to see if this theory pans out, and if it does hopefully no one will be hurt.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The frogs are not alone. A few seismologists are stating that their analysis shows a major earthquake could occur in Greece or Turkey within the next 24 hours.

That or ... I know it has NO CHANCES of happening... Within the next 24 hours : the Turkish backed flotilla will reach Gaza shores, confronting the Israeli navy... one thing leading to another...

Could the frogs be fleeing nuclear fire in Turkey?

I know I made that up... but I've been up for 35 hours now so I need to make up doom to keep me from sleeping.

Hopefully if a earthquake hits, it will hit an uninhabited area...

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If this comes true I will know what to do when i see all the frogs hoping by my house.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There has been heaps of frogs on the move here also,Vic Aus,the road was covered in them the other morning,and heaps moving around the house,iam hoping that its just that time of year or weather conditions or something simple and not a precursor to something bigger!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Imagine all the billions of dollars that will flood in to Greece from around
the world if there's a major earthquake. If there isn't much death, an
earthquake could be just the ticket for revitalizing Greece's economy.
Lots of new buildings, relief $$$, employment, etc.. -cwm

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There's also documented occurences of sea mamals like whales or dolphins beaching themselves before major natural catastrophies so this does not suprise me.

I think animals can sense changes in the earth far more than we can and we should listent to nature as I've heard said by hippies.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Lol. Why stop at earthquake when this could be spun into one of the Biblical plagues before the End Times?

Ooops. Now we will be seeing that thread later tonight, most likely.

Very cool. It will be interesting to see if this does precede an earthquake.

Edit to add;

This was a classic line.

www.thaindian.com...

The road had to be closed after the frogs caused three car accidents in which no humans were injured. Many frogs did not fair so well.

I love a reporter with a sense of humor.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"Major, keep the aiming impulses at minimum power. Those frogs are giving the game away..."

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well a 3.0 just hit Turkey...

But it's not big enough to do anything...

Here

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Was this after a heavy rain? When I was a kid I went out right after a downpour and there where hundreds of frogs in my yard. No earthquake ever came. Was this particular road there this time last year? The pictures do look kind of like it's not but if it is then maybe it happens every year there due to spawning. Now you can see them due to the asphalt. Just a thought.

Although this is suppose to be a sign of something coming when animals start acting funny so I'm not dismissing the possibility of a quake. I hope it's just a freak incident for the sake of our brothers and sisters in Greece.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Maybe British Petroleum (aka Amoco) is at fault from pumping out too much oil and allowing a shifting of the continental plates which will affect Greece with an Earthquake?

This is absolutely absurd. I'll do my best to point out all the problems here, but i am sure i'll miss a few.

1. Oil is pumped every day all over the world in large quantities than what is leaking in the gulf currently.
2. Oil is not sitting in a giant underground lake, it fills the pours in porous rocks or sand - so there isnt going to be a giant earthquake due to a new empty cavity in the earth.
3. The leaking oil is insignificant when compared to the mass of the continental or oceanic plates (though i admit i havent done the math here, it should be common sense though).
4. I assume you are referring to the leak in the Gulf... greece is nowhere near the gulf of mexico, so even if pumping out oil caused earthquakes (but it isnt) it would not directly affect greece. Though it would affect greece, dont you think the area near the leak would experience a more severe earthquake?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Gamecock]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
star and flag for this. the frog migration is usually days prior, and well this happened today

Magnitude 4.4
Date-Time

* Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:05:14 UTC
* Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:05:14 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.848°N, 21.329°E
Depth 50.6 km (31.4 miles)
Region SOUTHERN GREECE
Distances 40 km (25 miles) E of Zakynthos, Greece
55 km (35 miles) SW of Patrai, Greece
115 km (70 miles) NW of Kalamata, Greece
210 km (130 miles) W of ATHENS, Greece
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.4 km (7.1 miles); depth +/- 12 km (7.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 51, Nph= 55, Dmin=157 km, Rmss=1.06 sec, Gp= 79°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010wwbv

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
^ i don't think that'd be big enough to cause a mass migration. Greece had a few 5.0+ a little while ago and there were no mention of frogs or animal disturbance :S

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This latest quake could possibly be the precurser to something much larger....that is, if the whole frog theory is correct.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I witnessed frogs migrate this way every year in the Florida Keys. They would come by the 100's from the beach and cross the road (traffic didn't stop them). Those that made it seemed to be heading toward the marshes. We did not have a quake in the area afterwards. I am open minded when it comes to nature gives us signals of forthcoming events so I will keep my eye on this thread. BTW they were very large frogs (most likely males).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join