It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blair Witch Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Does anyone remember this movie? I remember when this came out and I believed every word of the movie. This movie scared the heck out of me. The same goes many others in the 90's. Not a bad horror movie serious. What do you guys think of the Blair Witch Project?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Also has anyone seen the special before the movie aired? That was better then the movie.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I didn't see the special, but that is a great movie ! It's one of those films where you actually don't see anything remotely terrifying but the story and the sounds ( like the children crying in the night) just freak you out =D

Such a shame they ruined it by making a second one that wasn't at all like the first. Ah well. =)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If you saw the special, then the movie....that was the best.

The special really had you believing it was real, and so when you saw the flick, you were absolutely terrified....

Seeing it without this setup, just not the same effect...

They really should have shown them both together....would be nice if a DVD version had this...not sure, haven't checked.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The movie ripped off The Last Broadcast. Though TLB wasn't able to bring a lawsuit to fruition. Those things are hard to do.

Both movies were supposed to be shown at the Sundance Film Festival the same year. But Blair Witch people knew some of the managers of Sundance, and at last minute TLB got kicked out on a technicality. hhhhmmm

Though that being said, it did scare me when I saw it, before I knew the ripoff. They are similar but different, and have good things going for both.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
On a little info on TBW. I used to work for the park and have been to the house that the movie was filmed in. It was filmed in several different parks. Other then the city sign and cemetary, very little actually in Burkittsville.

The house they used sits next to the grounds of an abandoned military para troop station. The house was originally a Colonels house or something. Though it looks isolated, it only sits about 50 yards from the road. It has an old meat shack and well house in the back. They had to cover up grafiti to make it look rustic. And they left a lot of the symbols in stuff in there after filming. Teh park regretted ever letting them film there by the amount of nightly fans trooping in there. The house is actually tan, with the standard tan stucco covering that you see on homes. It must of been a pretty nice house at one point.

The military base itself actually had far more fascinating local lore then TBW. There were wonderful ATS style rumors about it. It had been shut down for 50 years, grass was tall. The jumping towers left, the offices left. But people would sneak in there and find brand new doors below ground. Though completely abandoned, all sorts of machinery noise was heard from it. One local told me that netting went up one summer and was left up for 3 months that you couldn't see in at all. There was all kinds of machinery noise, then the netting came down and it looked exactly the same. All the locals swore that it was a secret missle base, or something was going on there. Way too much noise heard for an abandoned military base. One firefighter reported trying to steal the steel door in the basement, spent hours, it was 6 inches thick. Came back the next night to find it fixed. Though rarely was military ever seen in there.

Other rumors were that if you got into the underground offices, there were recent documents hung on the walls.

I drove past there last year, all the jumping towers and offices were torn down. So if anything was there, it is gone now. I had always wanted to sneak in an see what was going on there.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I for one never saw the special before the movie but thought it was one of the all-time great horror flicks anyway, and at no time did I think it was "true." I still don't get why so many people went in thinking it was. The movie teasers and previews at no time said it was, or that it was even based on a true story.

The people I talked to who liked it were horror fans in general, who appreciated the pacing, methodically ratcheting up the horror right up to the final frame.

The people who didn't like it were the more pedestrian viewers who expected monsters and gore. This was a great psychological horror film.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think that you know just a little too much about this.

Are you sure that you weren't running around the woods there with a video camera???

Hmmmmmmm????????????

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

I remember seeing the special, and then going to see the movie thinking it was real.

In this trailer www.youtube.com... it led you to believe it was real, it may not directly said it, but had people believing along with the special that it was real.

At the time, I was 11 and I could not sleep a wink the night after seeing it, only movie to ever do that to me. I thought it was real until I saw the actors on Jay Leno or some talk show, which made me relieved but disappointed at the same time.

I've still only seen it that one time, but really did like it, and was terrified.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by anthbes]

[edit on 21-6-2010 by anthbes]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes

I've still only seen it that one time, but really did like it, and was terrified.

Well at that age it was certainly understandable that you thought it was real. You've only seen it once? If I told you how many times I watched it, you wouldn't believe me.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

I should probably rent it again just to give it a go and see what I think. Recently (well, not really recently) watched Paranormal Activity in theater and my girlfriend and I both had a pretty good scare in that one.

Both are similar where the scariness is really what your mind makes of it, which is always creepier than an actual visual.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

I totally agree, mind-generated terror is the scariest. I really liked Paranormal Activity too. There are two places in it that made me jump, both times I watched it. Very few films do that. Another movie that has a couple "jumps" in it is Audition.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I've not seen the "special" but the movie was the biggest load of rubbish I'd seen in a long time.

But sayingthat, I've never been scared bya film. I love horror flicks and stuff, but nothing has ever scared me as such. Don't know if that's "cos I'm well'ard" or cos I just know that they're films. But I've never been scared bya film. Ever.

And TBWP is one of the unscariest films I've ever seen. It was utter gash.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

An awful lot of critics disagree with you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47df84154bc7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Im so glad that other people find this film scary, I always get ripped to shreds when I admit to being scared by it.

It is a very good film though when you consider that you never actually see anything.. and even then the actual witch doesnt sound that scary, merely a woman with excess body hair if I remember correctly. But still, its scary stuff.. especially that house at the end. :shk:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Working in the same park was a little creepy. I did maintenance at the time.

If a worker went into a building or bathroom to fix it, we would make little piles of rocks outside the door. LOL

Then you would hear someone yell, stop it guys.

I also had to work nightshift that year. Me, in the woods, not a soul to be found, the only thing to defend myself was a maglight.

At one point that summer, I was miles into the park, having to use the headlights for lights, working on a bathroom. All of a sudden I heard a screech in the woods. A rabbit being killed, and they can scream.

That was it, I hopped in the truck and called it a night...as fast as I could.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I really liked TBWP.
I find it's one of those films that is only generally liked by people who have the ability to put themselves into the movie. You know, imagine what it would be like if you were there or what would you do in similar circumstances.

Would you agree???

I didn't mind Blair Witch 2, it's very different yes, but it's still a nice little horror film, obviously not one of the greats but nice.

Also has anyone seen "Altered", it's a movie about aliens from the Blair Witch creator/s. I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in aliens.

My review from a few years back:www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Chukkles]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yeah ill admit, I believed it also. I watched it with my sister and cousins and it scared the living nightmare out of me. I was so disappointed when the word got out that it was faked. All in all though it was a pretty good movie and I really liked it.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

Originally posted by yuefo
The people who didn't like it were the more pedestrian viewers who expected monsters and gore. This was a great psychological horror film.

I disagree. I was looking for neither monsters nor gore. I was told it was a great psychological horror film but was very disappointed. A great psychological horror film for me would be The Shining.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Originally posted by Chukkles
I really liked TBWP.
I find it's one of those films that is only generally liked by people who have the ability to put themselves into the movie. You know, imagine what it would be like if you were there or what would you do in similar circumstances.

That could be why I didn't care for it. I couldn't stand the characters, so I just couldn't picture myself in that group.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join