It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Escape: Intergalactic Travel is Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hi ATS.

I just read about intergalactic space travel is really possible. The reason for this statement were the observed stars that were spotted leaving galaxies at high speeds.

Article is dated 24-05-2010

This sounds like far out science fiction fantasy, but it's within the realm of plausibility.

It turns out that the supermassive black hole in the center of our Milky Way galaxy hits a star "out of the ballpark" about every 100,000 years. Astronomers have clocked these runaway stars as having enough velocity to escape the galaxy.

The idea that it is possible could one day lead us to a point we want to try it out. I think this is a beautiful example of nature pulling one of our biggest trouble...just like that.

So far at least 16 of these so-called hypervelocity stars are known. They were first hypothesized in 1988. But the first one wasn't detected until 2005. Hot and bright blue short-lived stellar runaways have been picked out because they are not native to the old stellar galactic halo population, they had to travel there. Also, the torturous Milky Way core -- a stellar Monster Truck assembly plant -- favors making massive stars in binary pairs.

In the article is referred to an alien civilization. What this could mean for them. It also includes some pictures of a warp ship. ( Looks very cool ) Link

I did not posted because of the aliens but because of the possibility. Very mind provoking in my opinion.

Visit this link to read the article.

Amazing right ?

~ SK

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Excellent! I love these threads, Now I am not a Nibiru nut but if a wandering star did come close to earth it would be logical to think they would visit us for a cup of tea or mountains of gold before they carried on their way out of the galaxy.

But looking at the mechanics of what is being spoken about aliens could use wandering stars to piggy back themselves to other locations, getting back would be a bit more difficult.

The warp ship still needs vast amounts of energy so I would need to know more before this becomes a real possibility for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Awesome find!

Maybe, our space travel technology could learn something from this, by orbiting a dense object and our spaceship around each until there is enough energy from the gravitational pull to slingshot our spaceship in the direction of the stars we wanted to travel to. It would give us high-speeds, and our spaceship would use little to no fuel to do it. So, we would be lighter and we would be able to save our fuel for exploring our destination.

I know the galaxy is huge, but if we ever wanted cheap energy-wise way to escape our galaxy to a neighboring galaxy, maybe we could calculate the exact coordinates that these stars are using around our black hole to hit an inside the park homerun with our spaceship. Though, that seems really hard to do and the risk of getting sucked into the black hole would be huge.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There is already a formula for calculating this its in the other thread about a star travelling 3% the speed of light.

With the dawn of quantum computing upon us I don not think this would be impossible.

We already us slingshot maneuvers to get to the moon etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

We already us slingshot maneuvers to get to the moon etc.

Imagine a more epic version of that, the moon was only 1 "swing". If you could keep going around at a faster speed and multiple times then aim wherever you want to go you could be off. Il try to draw what im talking about, i could just be talking nonsense right now

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightstalker44

Exceed orbital velocity for your altitude and you're on your way out unless you have vast enough amounts of fuel to hold your orbital position while accelerating beyond orbital speed but then you wouldn't require a slingshot anyway (already having enough fuel to achieve your target velocity and trajectory unassisted). The 'slingshot' effect is accomplished by a 'dogleg' close pass to a massive object and it's only a glancing pass sufficient to alter trajectory with a boost in velocity, never a complete orbit. It needs lots of precision too to be in between crashing (altitude too low) or a miss (too high) and emerging in a straight line exactly where you were aiming for with no fuel input.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Alright, this is possible, but you still need to travel to the center of the galaxy for the supermassive black hole slingshot effect. That's around 27,000 lightyears away. We don't yet have reasonable models for interstellar travel (i.e. getting to our closest neighbor, alpha centauri, ~4 lightyears away), let alone anything on this scale.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If anyone organises a non-return voyage to anywhere away from here count me in lmao XD

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

While reading this i was thinking of a space elevator, swinging a ship around the planet, and finally letting go blasting it to deep space. Obviously not going to happen, but i have my imagination

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I recommend reading Arthur C Clarke's Rendevous with Rama and the other three books in the series. The Rama space craft increases speed by using fuel or swinging around other stars in the galaxy. Most of Clarke's books explain these concepts in a very straight forward manner. Available as Ebooks.

On a side note, the Voyager spacecraft used these techniques to increase speed in order to leave the solar system. Is there a maximum velocity that could be reached or would doing 10 passes of say the Sun and Jupiter give a velocity than just one pass?

new topics

top topics

join