It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS website shutting down internet explorer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
For the past three days I have been having a problem with ATS. For some reason whenever I am on ATS, and after a while which could be a few minutes to almost an hour, the ATS website closes internet explorer and gives me an error.

I was just typing a new thread which took me over half an hour to create and then suddenly ATS closed my internet explorer before I could post it.

ATS is the only website that does this to me, and I wonder if anyone else has been having this problem and if any of you have been able to solve it.

I have had other websites open and none closes my internet explorer, only ATS does.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I have also been having this problem in the past few days however I'm not entirely sure the problem isn't on my end, let's see if anyone else has experienced it..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
One word dude........ Firefox. It's free and the best browser out there. Ask around.

BTW, I hope you saved your work to a word program before posting.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I haven't used IE for about 5 years. Moved over to firefox, maybe you should give it try?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I use IE8 and have not had this issue at all. So, I dont think its an ATS issue.

[edit on May 26th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Google search - Internet Explorer closes unexpectedly

It appears that 16,000,000 hits indicate the problem isn't exclusive to ATS.

Maybe one of the links there will give you a solution?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My IE has been down for 2 weeks. I thought I'd been banned.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah on my newer pc I had firefox, but my motherboard got fried so I had to get back to using this older pc which has IE.

I tried copying and saving what I was posting but once the browser was closed there was no text to paste from the clipboard.

These things happen, but i want to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

You're not?

*Note to self..... *

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes i been having this problem to,it is not doing it on other websites just ATS just said could not display web page,did not have internet connection it said which is strange because i did

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yeah. That's weird.
I have noticed on my Firefox while on ATS;
Pages on ATS reload by themselves?
I don't notice other sites reloading automatically. I leave the ad-blocker un-blocked solely for ATS. So, I figure it's the ads on ATS that are reloading automatically.

IE can't hold a candle to Firefox. We're in a new millennium, isn't it time to upgrade, my friend?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A prime reason for IE to close "unexpectedly" is the way it handles memory allocation for _javascript. Throughout all IE versions various memory leaks have been identified, of which not all have been fixed. Especially for IE6, modern websites are a tough cookie.

To test whether it is indeed a _javascript memory problem, simply disable Javascript (semi-random page describing how to disable JS), reload ATS, and see whether it holds out this time. If it doesn't, then obviously my diagnosis is wrong
.. though it would be surprising if IE still managed to crash with just one ATS page opened, no _javascript - just text and images. Actually, not as much surprising as it would be reaffirming the apparent consensus that IE is Firefox's prey..

Just in case there is some obvious known problem; which version of IE do you use? You can find the version number in the menu Help > About. Good luck!

CX

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I use IE8 and have not had this issue at all. So, I dont think its an ATS issue.

Same here, IE8 and no probs whatsoever.

CX.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Been using IE on Win7 since 7 was in beta. Never had an IE window close on me. Had some script errors drag IE down but nothing I've had to close IE for.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by whaaa

You're not?

*Note to self..... *

I dated a mod briefly and she told me that I was on the "endangered species" list.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I use FF now because of a similar issue. Often times I'd be in the middle of doing something and suddenly I'd be staring at my desktop. Sometimes errors would randomly pop up talking about data exception prevention. I had just had enough. I don't experience any such things with FF.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't have any problems.. using firefox.. but I am having issues with a lot of pictures not loading on ATS correctly. Anyone else?

Avatars, buttons at the top.. the banner.. all of it is usually not loading.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
I don't have any problems.. using firefox.. but I am having issues with a lot of pictures not loading on ATS correctly. Anyone else?

I have 2GB memory installed and when I use it all up, sometimes the pictures are slow to load or don't load. I've checked task manager and found I was using 2.8GB out of the 2GB available (sounds impossible, right?) which is not good. So I see where the memory is being used and free it up and the problem goes away.

Regarding the IE problem, I see IE8 users not having a problem, but those having a problem didn't say what IE version they were using. I am guessing it's not IE8?

Anyway why not switch to Firefox?

However I will note that there are a tiny number of websites that don't work right with Firefox. So you keep IE around for those but just use Firefox most of the time.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
One word dude........ Firefox. It's free and the best browser out there. Ask around.

BTW, I hope you saved your work to a word program before posting.

Well yes it's good due to all the plugins but FireFox is getting $50m a year from google who is big bros big brother.

Ie8 comes with private browsing and it runs a log to see what site keep get calls from lots of other sites to work out who the add-server are and then you can block them.

They are both as bad as each other but thank god Microsoft and Google are at war else none of us would be in with a chance.

10 years ago few members of the public knew what a firewall was and in ten years time they will all know what a DMZ is because we are being force in that direction.

My router lets me map incoming ports but not outgoing ports else i would block port 80 (HTTP) and browse using 8081 upto the router and let that switch to port 80 becaue it's not just a question of stopping traffic coming it, it's about stoping stuff going out.

windows seven lets you see TCP activity and netwok access from the performance tools and often IP addresses are showing up in network access that are not in the TCP section and these are not internal to the network or broadcast addresses used by discovery but i'm still trying to workout whats going on and thats on a clean install.

Cyber war is not between China and the USA it's betweeen the public and Big Bro and between Google and MS we are getting out a$$es kicked.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Might just be outdated software?

I use Internet Explorer 8 at my school and Google Chrome on my personal computer. Neither programs have given me issues.

new topics

top topics

join