It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rage Against The Machine & other artists call for boycott of Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Rage Against the Machine lead singer Zack de la Rocha has enlisted dozens of musicians and activists to join The Sound Strike, an open call by artists to boycott the state of Arizona over its recently passed immigration law. The law passed by the Arizona state legislature, SB1070, requires local authorities to determine a person's immigration status if he or she is suspected of being undocumented.

Groups like Cypress Hill, Juanes, Conor Oberst, Los Tigres del Norte, Rage Against the Machine, Cafe Tacvba, Kanye West, Calle 13 as well as Oscar winning filmmaker and activist Michael Moore have signed on to the campaign, which was announced on thesoundstrike.net today.

"Fans of our music, our stories, our films and our words can be pulled over and harassed every day because they are brown or black, or for the way they speak, or for the music they listen to," de la Rocha wrote in an open letter announcing the campaign. "People who are poor like some of us used to be could be forced to live in a constant state of fear while just doing what they can to find work and survive. This law opens the door for them to be shaked down, or even worse, detained and deported while just trying to travel home from school, from home to work, or when they just roll out with their friends."

The website calls for additional artists to sign on to the boycott of Arizona, and asks fans to sign an online petition calling for the law's repeal.

Other artists who have already joined The Sound Strike boycott include Joe Satriani, Serj Tankian, Rise Against, Ozomatli, Sabertooth Tiger, Massive Attack, One Day as a Lion, Street Sweeper Social Club, Spank Rock, Sonic Youth and Tenacious D.

Satriani, recalling his own Italian-American grandparents' brushes with persecution during World War II, says he was approached to join the boycott by Tom Morello and subsequently contacted de la Rocha. "It's a tough issue," he says, "because I understand, if you live down there in one of those border town, you feel like you're under siege. But I think more brain power has to go into the solution to this. SB1070 just doesn't have enough in it to make it a good law. In the last 15 years the erosion of rights of American citizens has put us close to a police state. We teeter back and forth; that's what you have to be vigilant about. You can't just jump on something like this and stop thinking about better ways to solve problems."

Satriani says one answer is for the federal government to become a more active part of the solution. "We have a federal immigration department; they should be the ones dealing with this," he notes. "The local police have enough problems to deal with, and making them into pseudo border guards is ridiculous."

The guitarist says he feels "terrible about the idea of boycotting Arizona. I have friends there. I have a lot of fans there." His band Chickenfoot, in fact, recently released a concert DVD filmed at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix.

Already hip-hop acts Pitbull and Cypress Hill have canceled upcoming shows in Arizona to protest the law. Regional Mexican music acts Conjunto Primavera and Espinoza Paz have canceled their previously-announced Phoenix concerts, while their fellow Latin music stars Jenni Rivera and Wisin & Yandel will be skipping the state on their AEG Live-promoted summer tours.

"My personal belief is that the law, which is misguided and poorly written, is unconstitutional and will not survive the multiple legal challenges being filed," AEG Live president/CEO Randy Phillips says. "Until that time, however, the economic impact on the state from losing even a couple of tours might be enough for the legislature and the governor to realize that there is still a political concept called the tyranny of the majority which is just as dangerous to our democracy as illegal immigration, maybe more so." - www.billboard.com...#/news/rage-against-the-machine-michael-moore-l ead-1004093837.story

One of the greatest bands to stand against the "system" and big brother. I'm a proponent of closely watching our borders and enforcing our immigration laws but like it's stated in this article, the Arizona law only leads to more of a police state, which we already have too much of. Not only that, but it encourages racism. I'm sure most of the people who are on the Arizona bandwagon now like it that way though.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Since apparently a majority of Americans support the Arizona law, I think these artists ought to refuse to play in America altogether...they need to find a cool room somewhere, and only shed their light there...

And Rage Against The Machine is such a lame cartoon version of rebellion, almost any loser has more to teach than that dude, ewww...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
They should be "Raging" against the Machine, not the very people who have spoken in majority in favor of the laws, 74% nationwide support.

The support is so strong, even Obama caved in by sending a PR Brigade of 1,200 soldiers.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
More people jumping on the boycott Arizona bandwagon. I bet most of these artists never even bothered to read the law. Anything to get your name out there to remain relevant I guess.

There is nothing racist about the bill if anyone wants to bother reading it. Its only about 10 pages. It only enforces federal laws already on the books that have been ignored for years.

If I am stopped by the police I am required to show my ID to prove who I am and I have no problem showing them my licence if they ask. What is racist about asking for ID and why would anyone have a problem with police enforcing the law?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'll pass. I think I'll just boycott the 'artists' instead. On the bright side, looking at that list, I'm definitely not missing anything.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I'll pass. I think I'll just boycott the 'artists' instead. On the bright side, looking at that list, I'm definitely not missing anything.

Yea, I was thinking that too but then I realized that Rage Against The Machine has been irrelevant for about 10 years now so there is nothing to boycott.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hmm. That's a list of "artists" who I don't listen to anyway. No great loss.

So fashionable, to protest against something you don't really understand. A nice way to get yourself some free promotion, too. I'd bet dollars to tacos that most of these people have not read the AZ law.

By the way, as I understand it, the AZ law is basically the same as the Federal law, but gives the state the power to enforce it like the federal government SHOULD BE DOING but aren't.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If any of these artists drew large crowds still it might worry someone. Unfortunately most people could care less about these groups and acts. Heck the last time I heard a new Rage against the machine album was in the 90's. Most of these artists careers have dried up completely or are on the way down quite quickly. Anything to get themselves back into the limelight.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Its the exact same, plus additional language added to prevent the heavily talked about "Racial Profiling" and added was 21days detention before being given to ICE for deportation. The Federal Government still has to carry out the deportation.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

These guys fell off the stage a while back along with that coked out Kanye West.

"Cocaine is Helluva' Drug"

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these artists had an album come out recently, I know Cypress Hill did...guess they don't want my money. They are one of the few CDs out this year I would buy.

But in all seriousness, how is this REALLY hurting Arizona, these guys gotta make up that money somehow that they will be losing from those shows. They are the ones losing money...and probably breaking contracts. If anything, it makes more sense to play the shows, and spend some time talking about how the law is "unjust" and "racists" as they see it.

Some of the music industry are intelligent when it comes to politics, this is a group who obviously is not.

This just seems so lame...that's really the only word I have for it.

Like a poster above said, if a cop stops me, I gotta give me license or state ID or risk being taken in. It really makes sense to me to give the Arizona authorities the power to detain and take care of people here illegally in the proper way.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'm really glad that they're compiling a list of these bands - that way I know exactly which bands to boycott.

When are these idiots going to figure out that they're musicians and aside from their music no one gives a rat's ass what their political leanings are!?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Heck the only one of them I see there that actually makes an intelligent argument in favor of his views is Satriani. He at least seems as though he's read the bill and has an understanding of it, rather than just parroting opinions of the talking heads on the MSM.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Whoa Satch actually gave a GOOD reason not to support the law! Indeed, problem, reaction and solution have made a comeback once again. It's too bad we can't just protect the borders...nah, this is easier.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

I call for a boycott of ALL artist and organizations listed as boycotting Arizona!

Maybe a drop in record sales and concert tickets will help them realize we don't give a damn about their political views, and that Democracy prevails in Arizona. They have the right as a State to define any law they so desire, if the Supreme Court deems it unconstitutional, so be it, but so far they have no said a word.

So screw these neofascist, I hope Arizona starts throwing around the S word. Secession.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I forgive Sonic Youth though...Thurston Moore did so much good stuff with Lydia Lunch, no stupid thing he could ever say would pull him off of the mountaintop...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yup boycotting all these bands. I think someone from ATS should start a petition and website showing these "artists" how we really feel. Hopefully if someone does get this petition going I won't have to hear about how every other celebrity feels about every little topic (which most of the time is just the flavor of the month).

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Wow could your argument about the law being racist being anymore unfounded. What is going to be your next excuse for being against a state that is standing up for its LEGAL citizens? I bet I can guess... they only do the jobs Americans don't want to do (HAHAHAHA that is by far the funniest). I regret to inform you that yes some Americans prefer not to lay shingles, haul sod around, or do any kind of manual labor but guess what there are plenty of Americans who do make a living by doing just that (I infact have done all three) and if you really care about the illegals you would be outraged about how much their boss make off of their labor. With most undocumented aliens in the construction industry they are making $5 - $8 an hour while their boss who sits in the brand new air conditioned truck is making well over a hundred bucks an hour off of their labor.

I am all for this law because ILLEGAL immigrants are ILLEGAL and I am happy that my state is introducing a similiar bill.

Do you wanna know my reason for LOVING this bill? I am tired of other construction companies (who have one white guy and the rest illegals) underbid hardworking Americans due to the fact that the boss is paying his workers table scraps and he is still making a killing. So go preach your boycotting, save the Illegals gospel somewhere else because the bottom line of the matter is that THEY ARE ILLEGAL.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Do any of these artists live in Arizona? If not, who do they think they are to tell a state in which they do not reside in which laws to pass? Just goes to show you that there isn't much difference between a limousine liberal and fascist.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Kanye (I hate white people) West?

This guy is a joke and how in the blue heck is Michael Moore considered an "artist"?

Well I got my belly laugh of the day!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join