It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Chiefs Slam Arizona Immigration Law After Meeting With Holder (bump in the road)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Police chiefs from across the country vented to Attorney General Eric Holder Wednesday about Arizona's immigration law, saying it will burden law enforcement and that local sheriffs who claim to support the policy are driven by politics.

The meeting comes as the Department of Justice drafts a possible court challenge to Arizona's new law. Holder has voiced concern with the policy, and the police chiefs who met with him for about an hour Tuesday morning -- including Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck whose city boycotted Arizona -- appeared to back him up.

Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor said the law will create a "fracture" between police and the communities they serve as well as "severely strain our resources."

"When you talk about sheriffs, you're talking about elected officials, as opposed to appointed officials," he said. "That changes the perspective that you have when you come to a problem."

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Well, here we go. The law won't really matter if the cops don't enforce it. I mean cops-not sheriffs, there is a difference. I have to say the cops arguement holds some water but what if..... They say they will be strecthed thin etc.

Well, what if all the sudden there are 100,000's of pedo's in AZ. Would they just not enforce the law because there are too many of them?

I think that has been the overall Mexican illegals plans anyway-to overwhelm us with numbers so we just give in. Sounds like it is working.

I think the cops need to hire some help-I am sure they would get many volunteers too if asked. crazy crazy crazy times. Th eAZ gov needs to get her AG on the ball and meeting with these police chiefs too.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Lawmakers in AZ need to end the drug war there first. Then they can free up the police for important things like protecting the states interests.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Thats interesting,I didn't know there was a drug war now in Az?,sounds like someone has been watching too much CNN,interesting how all this stuff must be going on in someones mind

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There may be a bit more to this than what the Holder and Chiefs news conference showed. Yes, I realize the flack over anything coming from Fox News, but I was watching this on TV as it aired and found it on YouTube. Hope it works.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Wayne60]

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Wayne60]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Great find. The Progressive Police Chief Association. Well well well.

Funny how the MSM left that out from the Press Release.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

S&F for your post by the way anon72.

Funny how the MSM left that out from the Press Release.

That reminds me of a quote from Church Lady from SNL

How conveeenient!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Police chiefs are nothing more than the political puppets of mayors and city councils. Rarely will they go against the grain of their masters lest they want to be removed and sent to . a anti-fencing unit.

IMO I think the position of police chief should be an elected position like sheriff, sure they'll be politicians at heart but at least we'll know who we vote for.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Eric Holder is about as worthless as one poor public official can be. All of the crime and death and sex abuse and god knows that plague this country and all this fool can manage is to attack the one group of LEO officials in the country that are actually interested in enforcing the laws.

I wonder if he has managed to actually read the law at this point, considering a week or so back he was dancing on his soap box and calling it unconstitutional, even though he admitted he hadn't even read the thing.

This man gives the words unqualified and incompetant whole new meanings.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by BlackOps719]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

You know what. That is one hell of an idea. All the years in LE I have never heard of that concept.

The only problem I see is that the Mayor/Counsel would most likely not go along with it as they utilize the local police as their personal servants. If they were elected, I think the whole US system would have to change.

But, it would be for the good.

Star for you.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It's something I wish would be put to use here in San Francisco. We've got do deal with, aside from many other things, having a political lapdog to our mayor and board of supes as our police chief. I definitely NOT be surprised if our chief and sheriff were both part of that group.

Far few people know about this but back in the day, up until about the mid/late-70s, the police and fire chiefs in SF had to get the okay from the Catholic Bishop in SF before the mayor could go through with their appointments. It's mostly known by Catholic LEOs and their families who've grown up and still work in the city.

new topics

top topics

join