It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's this going on near Mt. Etna? :O

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef72f273ace5.jpg[/atsimg]
I've been keeping a close eye on Etna lately due to her ongoing erupting. She started putting out more ash tonight so out came the camera and I about fell over my tripod when I saw the 'pyramid' shape emerging to the right of Etna's top. (Never seen it before)...

After uploading the pic and taking out a a small camera defect to the left, I noticed the black dot (I don't remember seeing when taking the picture) and I can't figure out what it is. I tried photo-shopping it every which way - but still don't 'see' what it is.

Not a bird - not a helicopter... But what is it?

Something 'good' or a false alarm?

Help ATS'ers!

Thanks!

peace

[edit on 26-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Could be a lot of different things. A lava bomb could be the answer, but while it's not in an active eruption it's possible, but unlikely. I'm going to go with a simple artifact from the digital camera.

The pyramid shape is obviously a shadow being thrown onto the rising smoke by the setting sun.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by KILL_DOGG]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The pyramid shape is due to sunlight lighting up the dust and smoke - sunset angle matches up I bet.

Far as the UFO dot thing? cool

Thanks for going out to snap some pics

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KILL_DOGG

I'm going to go with a simple artifact from the digital camera.

Silly me but can you explain what this means?

It didn't show up on any other picture - before or after this one...

but while it's not in an active eruption

Oh, and she is active.
She's been putting out steam and volcanic ash for quite a while.

Maybe she did toss a rock?

Just my luck. I was in hopes it was MORE!

Thanks!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm no volcanic expert by any means but...

It kinda looks like the object has a shadow to it if I'm not mistaken(after zooming in of coarse).

could be wrong of course....

Just IMHO

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Software_Pyrate]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Not slinging mud or anything like that, but how do you know it's not a bird, helicopter, or something explainable of that nature?

Hey, I'm all for it being a UFO, being witness to one myself, and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they exist. Whether the ones we see are extraterrestrial or not is another can of worms.

Good find though. I do hope you figure out what it is.

The "pyramid" is a trick of shadow and light obviously, but I hope you knew that!

Good day.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The side of the mountain from the photographs PoV is facing away from the sun, I think you are seeing the edge of the shadow being cast on the steam/smoke from the sun behind.

Dont think you can rule the dot out as a bird or helecopter from that, do you have a larger image?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

Not slinging mud or anything like that, but how do you know it's not a bird, helicopter, or something explainable of that nature?
The "pyramid" is a trick of shadow and light obviously, but I hope you knew that!

Well, I've looked at tons of birds and helicopters with photoshop and I've been able to figure out within a click or two that's what they are. Not this time.

Also - I've got a habit of checking around the object area before clicking a pic and there wasn't a helicopter around - though of course a bird could have popped up - but still...

As for something 'natural' - I'm all for that - but natural what? lol

The 'pyramid'... This evening was the first time I've ever seen this phenomena 'just so' - and I've got season tickets to a front row seat every night right in front of Etna as the sun sets. So, tonight I saw this 'appearing' and grabbed my camera just in case it went 'all pyramid' - like as in a full one. I mean hey, I'd rather be safe and take a pic than sorry and miss it... Or be so freaked out by that time I'm just standing in shock, lol!

It was later while re-sizing I noticed 'the thing'...

So, there ya go!

Thanks!
peace

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Saytan75

do you have a larger image?

Sure, let me go get the original and I'll just crop it out.

BRB! Will edit this post with new pic in a sec!

EDIT: Bummer. I re-sized the 4 pictures I have so they're all the same size as the pic I posted here. But again, whatever the 'blip' is? It's only in the 3rd to picture out of 4. Not that that really helps, but, I might as well post that since I can't the original size pic.

Sorry

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
OK..

light is on the left...volcano shadow is on right.

light on object..left side.....shadow on right...

NO photo expert...but leaning towards "NOT" photo glitch.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
New here and I can't work out how to post a picture
but when I zoomed right in on the 'object' there seemed to be a square block of pixels around it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oxbow

New here and I can't work out how to post a picture but when I zoomed right in on the 'object' there seemed to be a square block of pixels around it.

Welcome to 'here'...

And, what would a square box of pixels mean?

Sounds silly I don't know that - when I do tons of digital stuff - but I don't.

If you mean like something was painted in? Nawwww....

peace

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Sorry, not implying anything, I'm sure there's loads of people on here who know more about this stuff than me. It just seemed odd that the pixelation around the object is square, about 6 pixels worth on each side.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

When I first looked at it about half way zoomed in, before I read your comment, the first that came to mind was that it was a helicopter and I still think it may be. But, the strange thing is that when I zoomed all the way in (in my browser) I noticed a series of little dots in a series of three circles around the "helicopter". These "dots in a circle" look just like dust "orbs" look blown up.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by oxbow

That's a side effect of using JPEG images, when there's a sudden change of colour or brightness in an image the square areas in which the compression algorithm divides the image become more noticeable.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If you used a digital camera (I suppose you did) and didn't resized the photo in the memory card you can try to recover it with an "undelete" program like Recuva.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
when did she start erupting????

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

UFOs and volcanoes are almost synonymous with one another for some unknown reason.
Not saying they're off-world entities fueling up on some of that-there rich plasma (although that's what I THINK) but some sort of anomalous aerial objects are often seen within the vicinity of an active volcano.

Now, what I am dying to know is, how close do you live/work from Mount Etna? It's hard for me to imagine that someones backyard overlooks a volcano. Fascinating. It's just something I've always taken for granted.

Be safe

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well, others have offered reasonable debunking ideas, I will offer an opinion from far out left field: the pyramid is actually a triangle spacecraft of the Shadows and while invisible to the naked eye, your digital camera saw through its shielding. The triangle craft that looks like a pyramid is sitting over the volcano converting heat into energy for the craft. The black dot is a probe from the triangle craft....

Okay, that does it for me

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
That's a good pic & your lucky to have a gorgeous view!! What's got me is that pyramid. It's incredible. Thanks for sharing your pic & keep us updated. Maybe the pyramid will make a full appearance! s&f

top topics

<<   2 >>

join