It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katla Volcano In Iceland Shows Signs Of Increased Activity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IanC99000310

Thanks for the back up of you and IanC99000310

for a moment there I thought I had become a Mad Mentalist

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Katla Now Favourite For Next Major Eruption

Could be worth a punt

Posted in Press Releases on May 27, 2010 @ 12:52 pm by Sarah Preece

(27 May 2010) Leading betting organisation Paddy Power have today cut the odds on Iceland’s Katla volcano being the next volcano to erupt with a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 3 or greater.

Katla is located just 17 miles away from neighbouring Eyjafjallajokull and has a previous track record of erupting shortly after its smaller sister. Katla is known to have erupted 16 times since 930, the last time in 1918. Since then, Katla has been quiet for the longest duration on record and experts believe that now Eyjafjallajokull has erupted, it’s just a matter of time.

As a result Katla has replaced Mount Unzen as Paddy Power’s 9/4 favourite in their next volcano to erupt betting. Other volcanoes on the short list include Mount Nyiragongo in the Democratic Republic of the Congo at 6/1 and Hawaii’s Mauna Loa at 10/1. Eyjafjallajokull also features in the betting at odds of 10/1.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ok, everyone here take a deep breath.

Yes, Katla may erupt again in the future. There are already several posts that are discussing Katla:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, there is also another science blog that has real vulcanologists on it that I have been folowing since 'E' began erupting:

scienceblogs.com...

Yes, we do have a historical record of Katla erupting when 'E' has erupted, but not every time. Sometimes a volcano will follow its own historical record perfectly, then it will suddenly go dormant.

I think it is great that people are into volcanos with such a passion now. Here are some great links for the volcanic activity of Iceland, including seismos, eq graphs, and cams:

Katla cam:

www.ruv.is...

Hekla cam:

www.ruv.is...

Iceland EQ's:

en.vedur.is...

and tremor plots for Katla:

hraun.vedur.is...

Hope this info helps. Katla could erupt next week or in 80 years...that is a fact. It could also go dormant.

It is 'mental' to insist that Katla is going to erupt now. Don't let the MSM control your minds. Don't listen to Anderson Cooper, try asking a scientist.

From a personal and very greedy point of view, I miss watching the eruption of 'E' very much, and I am going through withdrawl. The other cool volcanos around the world that are erupting right now, do not have direct internet access to most of them. Iceland rocks as far as monitoring equipment goes.

Let's be civil on here. I also watch the cams every day (and I even stayed in a Holiday Inn once), but I am no expert on any of this...but I do ask the experts!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

And for the record, you are not 'mental' at all.

I hope you do not mind me reposting that cam link, with some of the other links as well. It sometimes help to keep everything in one spot. I just love it when other people jump on the volcano bandwagon!

Thanks!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Thanks for that (although my wife may disagree
) Thanks also for the links. I also am missing watching the volcano erupting it was amazing to see such power.A real reminder that we are only ants in comparison to the forces of nature. I think one of the great things to have come from the web are live web cams .Hopefully they will only get better and more reliable so us watchers can enjoy the show. (in the comfort of our homes of course).

[edit on 27-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Thanks, but i actually meant wouldnt the reduction in temperature ruin crops therefore causing the price of food to sky rocket.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by loisthegriffin

Thanks, but i actually meant wouldnt the reduction in temperature ruin crops therefore causing the price of food to sky rocket.

Interesting I didn't think of that possible scenario. Yes that could happen crops could fail.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sorry for my incompetence earlier

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint
Sorry for my incompetence earlier

Apology accepted , are you a Labour MP? Only joking

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ok, can someone please clear this up with facts, as far as I am concerned based on what I have read (which is not necessarily correct as there is conflicting information) Katla will NOT cause global cooling, people seem to be constantly getting Katla mixed up with Laki's eruption in the 1700s, check this out:

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
just in the news in holland
i read in the newspaper katlsa will blow soon
iceland is warning europe that its likely and that the air traffic must realize its coming.......
with that oil volcano yes its also a volcano looks pretty bad

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint

80 years?, are you mad, it's 12 year's overdue as it is you mentalist.

It is almost definetevely certain it's going to erupt soon.

Ive been watching this volcano everyday in the mornings for weeks and weeks.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

What have you been watching it on, a live webcam etc???

I would like to know more too, tell me / us how you do it, please!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Some more net news on this subject.
Scientists Issue Ominous Warning About Second Iceland Volcano ‘Katla!’
Visit site for full article www.thaindian.com...

According to scientists, a second volcano in Iceland, known as ‘Katla’ is close to failure, and this could cause world wide catastrophe similar to that in the movie, “The Day After Tomorrow”. As Eyjafjallajokull began erupting, scientists were already warning that this event could trigger an eruption of nearby Katla, which would have repercussions of epic proportions. In the first warning issued came the frightening thought, “If lava flowing from Eyjafjallajokull melts the glaciers that hold down the top of nearby Volcano, Katla, then Katla could also erupt. That potential occurrence could send the entire world, even the United States, into a deep freeze.” Similar warnings were posted in Science Fair and USA today.

And now that very volcano is showing signs that it could be getting ready for an eruption of it’s own.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Is Katla the world ending 2012 disaster ?????

A major eruption could devastate the world by 2012, crop failures. Ice Age. complete halt of air travel over a large part of the world, Mass deaths in Europe,

We can only wait and hope this is not the case.

Part of he world may have to go back to ship travel just to get around.
Governments may have to take over cruse ships to get people back to there home counties and to get diplomats around.

World travel may go back to what it was in 1900.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Is Katla the world ending 2012 disaster ?????

A major eruption could devastate the world by 2012, crop failures. Ice Age. complete halt of air travel over a large part of the world, Mass deaths in Europe,

World travel may go back to what it was in 1900.

[sarcasam] your not into that scaremongering thing i see....[/sarcasam]

seriously, erm ... devestate the world??? crop failures ??? ICE AGE ???? mass deaths???? a hault air travel most likely though

lets put things in perspective ... mass deaths?? right, the last major eruption at katla 1918 ... thats not even 100 years ago, the eruprion was very big, death was caused by poisonus gas ... Remembering now that was in 1918 and things like science and technology has evolved so far, not only that but awareness of situations that may happen Just like a big gas release from a volcano has also raised drasticly and will probably prevent any mass deaths, flooding is still a big risk but again can be dealt with alot faster and better than it was in 1918!

ICE age ?? proove it ... if the 1918 eruption caused an ice age where did it go and why is it not documented?

crop failures ? ... ok, i will agree that localy and possibly in europe some crops could fail ... but worldwide?? i seriously doubt it, it might hit europe, but that still leaves alot of asia, (russia?) , australia and the whole of the americas to produce the food, and these places produce the most food anyway, for that id say crop failures wouldnt be much of an issue, but woudl happen.

Devestate the world? ... again, 1918 ... we are still here and their was no blip where the whole of civilisation had to stop and rebuild everything.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
There is going to be a documentary(UK) on Tuesday night 8th june about what will happen if Katla blows Channel 4 I think. Looked like it would be good. Will post more info when I see the trailer again ( it caught me off guard lol)

[edit on 4-6-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Found it its going to be on Channel 5 www.five.tv...

Volcanic Ash: The Ticking Timebomb (Documentary)
Time - 20:00 - 21:00 (1 hour long)
When - Tuesday 8th June on Five
Documentary exploring the likelihood and potential global effects of the eruption of Katla, a huge volcano lurking under the Icelandic ice. Katla is five times the size of its neighbour Eyjafjallajokull, which recently caused so much travel disruption when it blew clouds of volcanic ash into the atmosphere. Historically, every Eyjafjallajokull eruption has been followed by a flare-up at Katla. If such an eruption were to happen now, it is predicted that European airspace would be closed down for 18 months.
(Followed by Five News at 9, Subtitles)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Looks like there could be further trouble ahead.
www.clareherald.com...

Fears are growing that the Katla volcano in Iceland could soon erupt after volcanic activity at the site increased by over 200% in recent days.

Seismic readings of the volcano indicate the tremors around the area have increased substantially.

Four earthquakes were detected near Katla during a 12-hour period on May 21st, more than at any other time since the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruptions first occurred in March.

Three earthquakes at the Katla Volcano were reported by the Disaster and Emergency website Hisz.rsoe.hu on Sunday evening. The tremors may have been due to ice movements within Mýrdalsjökull glacier or magma movement under the volcano.

The last earthquake to take place at the volcano was recorded this morning.

Keep an eye on her here live web cam www.ruv.is...#

[edit on 26-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
katla volcano in iceland has just had six earthquake in and around the volcano in the last few hour people in the area are being made aware of this all the earthquake are shallow is the volcano going to blow.i think we may have one soon people

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here is a LINK that shows all the current quakes. On this map, Katla is the bigger one on the right.

Although EQ activity is not uncommon, this many in a short period of time means the pay attention. No need to go running screaming yet though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join