It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katla Volcano In Iceland Shows Signs Of Increased Activity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Looks like there could be further trouble ahead.
www.clareherald.com...

Fears are growing that the Katla volcano in Iceland could soon erupt after volcanic activity at the site increased by over 200% in recent days.

Seismic readings of the volcano indicate the tremors around the area have increased substantially.

Four earthquakes were detected near Katla during a 12-hour period on May 21st, more than at any other time since the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruptions first occurred in March.

Three earthquakes at the Katla Volcano were reported by the Disaster and Emergency website Hisz.rsoe.hu on Sunday evening. The tremors may have been due to ice movements within Mýrdalsjökull glacier or magma movement under the volcano.

The last earthquake to take place at the volcano was recorded this morning.

Keep an eye on her here live web cam www.ruv.is...#

[edit on 26-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

The news is starting to spread. www.clickgreen.org.uk...

Stark forecast as Iceland's larger volcano shows increased sign of life
by ClickGreen staff. Published Thu 27 May 2010 00:01, Last updated: 2010-05-27

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption there has been much speculation about an eruption of its larger neighbour, Katla.

In a report published today, experts from the newly formed UCL Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction warn that with the high frequency of eruptions of Katla, an eruption in the short term is a strong possibility.

The authors warn that an eruption of Katla is likely to be preceded by new earthquake activity - volcanic activity at the site has increased by over 200% in recent days.

Seismic readings of the volcano indicate the tremors around the area have increased substantially.

Four earthquakes were detected near Katla during a 12-hour period on May 21st, more than at any other time since the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruptions first occurred in March.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

In the past 1,000 years, all three known eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull have triggered subsequent Katla eruptions.

en.wikipedia.org...

How dangerous is this volcano exactly? And what could be the global consequences of a worst case scenario eruption?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Oh dear god, if this goes off you can all say goodbye to Summer

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Korea, The Middle East, Economic collapse, Ecological cataclysm. Now a massive volcano. How long will it be before somebody other than the bible-bashing end of days types (Other than us on ATS) start to figure out what's up? I've tried to bring it up with people, but they just hurriedly spit out some line they heard on their cable news drug of choice then try their best to pretend that I'm not even in the room. I'll keep trying, but I fear it'll be like the labor of Sisyphus.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

It's funny, some reports are claiming that the volcano has become quiescent and everything is calming down. But the very well known history of the area indicates that not only does it not subside so quickly, it is also very likely to trigger a much more massive eruption in it's linked sister volcano - acting like a "trigger mechanism."

I guess we'll see soon enough!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Here is an article posted earlier this month describing the effect this volcano could have if it erupts.
______beforeitsnews/news/41/354/Will_Iceland_s_Katla_Volcano_Blow_Next.html

An eruption of Katla would likely be 10 times stronger than the recent eruption of Eyjafjallajokull and could be disastrous to Iceland with raging floods from the melting Myrdalsjokull glacier, immense depths of volcanic ash, and climate change to regions of the world.

If the eruption is long enough and high enough, ash could be blasted 20 km (12 mi) into the stratosphere and circle the globe blotting out part of the sun from penetrating to earth, and reduce temperatures worldwide. The big question of course is how big would the eruption be and to what extent the global climate change.

We know that when Katla erupted in 1700, the Mississippi River froze just north of New Orleans for example. When Mount Pinatubo erupted in 1991 for 2 days, it dropped temperatures 4 degrees worldwide for a year. Katla on average erupts for 50 days, although the cumulative severity over that time period depends on the force of the eruptions lifting ash high into the atmosphere. We won’t know until it happens.

Although the magnitude of disaster would not be that of a super volcano such as Wyoming’s Yellowstone, the potential is there for a global catastrophe from a worldwide extended deep freeze. Huge crop failures would translate to starvation for some and very high food prices for others. A ripple effect would occur through the already teetering economies of the world.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If this does happen, would the first thing to do would be to go out and buy as much non perishable food as possible?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by loisthegriffin

If the airspace around europe was to shut down for a long period of time then without doubt items that are transported by air will become harder to get hold of however as far as I am aware most food and consumer items reach us by container ship. Therefore the food should still get through ok and items that were sent by air will be transported by ship. The problem that I see happening is people may panic buy causing shelves to empty and food shortages to happen. People will need to" Keep Calm and Carry On".

There is no certainty that Katla is going to erupt soon just that it will inevitably erupt some time in the future FACT. With any luck not for another 80 years or so.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Dude! I'm travelling from Brazil to Denmark for my honeymoon this monday! And I will return to Brazil through UK! That volcano cant erupt know. Come on!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

80 years?, are you mad, it's 12 year's overdue as it is you mentalist.

It is almost definetevely certain it's going to erupt soon.

Ive been watching this volcano everyday in the mornings for weeks and weeks.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

I wouldn't worry too much as they are stating that the increased activity which is basically earthquakes at the Katla site could be an indication of the old girl starting to wake it also could just be glacial movement .Time will tell of course and this volcano will be the subject of very close scrutiny at least for a couple of years because of its past history of erupting after eyeballjello thingamajig volcano.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint

80 years?, are you mad, it's 12 year's overdue as it is you mentalist.

It is almost definetevely certain it's going to erupt soon.

Ive been watching this volcano everyday in the mornings for weeks and weeks.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

That's a bit strong calling me a "mad mentalist"
Just because you have been watching it for weeks doesn't mean its going to blow. It could well stay dormant for 80 years or blow tomorrow who knows for sure.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
no, it won't stay dormant for another 80 year's that rediculus.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

no, it won't stay dormant for another 80 year's that rediculus.

Don't you mean ridiculous?

Why? Are you a volcanologist? I'm not but I know there is very little certainty when it comes to things like this.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Don't care how i spell, im not writing a novel am I ?

The volcano normally erupts every 60 - 80 years, on time with eyja ussualy.

Your telling me eyja's erupted but this time it's changed it's schedule, just for you, and it's now gona erupt every 160 years?, that's what your saying ?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Don't care how i spell, im not writing a novel am I ?

The volcano normally erupts every 60 - 80 years, on time with eyja ussualy.

Your telling me eyja's erupted but this time it's changed it's schedule, just for you, and it's now gona erupt every 160 years?, that's what your saying ?

en.wikipedia.org...

The volcano normally erupts every 40–80 years.

Normally doesn't mean always.

The last major eruption occurred in 1918, although there may have been a couple small eruptions that did not break the ice cover: one in 1955[1] and another 1999

Therefore if it had a small eruption in 1999 it may not erupt for many years to come I emphasize "MAY" as it could erupt tomorrow or next week . Its not a cuckoo clock

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

dude, you do realise when tarifa37 said that he HOPED it waited another 80 years to erupt that he was actualy meaning he would LIKE to see it take that long as he will no longer be effected! (that was my take on it anyway).

to that quote, you came on and insulted him by called him a mad mentalist ?!?!

Id say its you who is more the mentalist!

he is also right, noone here , or even in the whole world ofscience knows when it will erupt, it might erupt NOW as im speaking, it might take 2 weeks , a year, 2 years, a decade, 8 decades .. hell, it might not ever erupt again (very doubtfull) ... What we can be sure of is that its a volcano we are waiting for here, not a bus, volcanoes erupt when they want, not when people expect them to do in their own time scale!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
You all seem to love doom!

Yellowstone is supposedly over due! Yet there is a chance it won't erupt again!.. Katla may not erupt again Laki may be next the magma chambers are dynamic and if Katla erupts it may be far less explosive than in the past.

This is all just speculation.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The news is starting to spread on other major medias

AFP - 27/05 - Second Iceland volcano 'could erupt' in near future

MSNBC - 27/05 - Volcano's big brother issues ominous warning - Scientists say a more powerful Icelandic volcano is 'close to failure'

BCNN1 - 27/05 - Second Iceland Volcano 'Could Erupt' Any Day Now

BreitBart - 27/05 - Katla volcano is said to be 10 time more powerfull than neighbouring Eyjafjoell

An eruption in the short term is a strong possibility," experts said, referring to Katla, which is larger and fiercer than Eyjafjoell, in a report from the University College London (UCL) institute for risk and disaster reduction

A warning sign is seen at the base of the Myrdalsjokull glacier, which is part of the ice cap sealing the Katla volcano, near the Icelandic village of Vik. The Katla volcano neighbouring Eyjafjoell, whose eruptions paralysed Europe's skies last month, could come to life in the near future, experts say.

[edit on 27/5/10 by digit78]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join