It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to Eat on a $17,600 Date With the President

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, I spent an hour trying to find the guest lists. No go.

Probably had Osama, GW, BP execs amongst a few others they would not ant listed.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Ditto, I tried as well.
One can only imagine who paid the handshake fee.

My problem with this is that Obama is continually campaigning for his own agenda/policies or for select candidates. He even said that he had a lot on his plate but he would make the exception for Boxer.

The man has yet to run or lead this nation.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
You guys need to give it up with Obama already. It just shows what the truth behind your agenda is and I'm not gonna say it. You already know it. Why are you guys complaining now? This has been going on for decades as far as I know. If I know that, then surely you guys do too. Or what? It was ok when the WHITE guy did it but not the black guy now? Give it up. It's funny that only Obama is out of touch when every one of his predecessors in the past 4 decades have been attending and holding ridiculous fundraisers like these.

You people really make me sick. Where the *snip* were you guys 5 *snip* years ago!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by maria_stardust]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I wonder how many starving kids in this country (USA ) that money would feed?
Believe it or not there are quite a few.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
As usual, the anti-obama squad is shooting before looking. These are typical, but because your on a smear campaign, you try to make it out like it isn't.

This is just another day of politics, to be made out to be something it isn't.

At $250,000, the “underwriter” package being offered by the committee, will get the donor four seats to Mr Bush’s swearing-in ceremony; ten VIP seats at the inaugural parade; two tickets to an “exclusive” underwriters’ lunch featuring Mr Bush and Vice-President Cheney; and twenty seats at candlelit dinners that will take place simultaneously at three locations in Washington, with special appearances by the President, the First Lady, and Mr Cheney and his wife, Lynne.

timesonline

Have a meal with Corker, Tennesse Republican for 10,000K
politico

Lets not forget the 25,000 starting bid dinner with Sarah Palin.
fox news

Ah, here is dinner with Sarah Palin again at 2500$ a head
linky

Where does Congress go for lunch? It depends on who's paying.

Almost everyday, a Member of Congress holds a fundraiser for lobbyists and political insiders at a Washington restaurant.

Because attendees are paying as much as $5,000 to come, they expect to get a good meal, so the choices are typically on the higher end

congress.org

From your source:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Want to have dinner with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin? Plan on writing a big check.

The ex-Republican vice presidential candidate is offering the dinner as part of a charity auction on eBay for the Ride 2 Recovery program, which supports wounded veterans through cycling programs.

The 10-day auction starts Tuesday. The opening bid for dinner for five with Palin is $25,000, and organizers say the winner will have to foot the travel bill to meet up with her, likely in Alaska.
There are nine other celebrity items in the auction, including lunch with former Bush aide Karl Rove. That opening bid is $7,500.

By comparison, $2.1 million was paid in 2008 for a lunch with financial guru Warren Buffett.

For CHARITY.

As for Bush, that was his inauguration perk package.
This was Obama's perk package:

Each individual donation is capped at $50,000 -- with two "preferred" tickets to finance events -- and bundlers will be asked to raise no more than $300,000 -- and get four "trustee" tickets to these VIP events. Corporate money is banned.

blogs.suntimes.com...

I guess times change. It is all excessive in my book and we clearly need a massive campaign finance overhaul. Politicians have been bought and sold for far too long.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You're right, in fact here in Toronto you can get away with $300/month, $3600 /year, so a family of 4 in Canada. I was going more for the idea behind it. In Africa, probably could do a family of 10.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
You guys need to give it up with Obama already. It just shows what the truth behind your agenda is and I'm not gonna say it. You already know it. Why are you guys complaining now? This has been going on for decades as far as I know. If I know that, then surely you guys do too. Or what? It was ok when the WHITE guy did it but not the black guy now? Give it up. It's funny that only Obama is out of touch when every one of his predecessors in the past 4 decades have been attending and holding ridiculous fundraisers like these.

You people really make me sick. Where the *snip* were you guys 5 *snip* years ago!

Way to keep it classy!! You even managed to drop the race card into your post.

I've always been pissed about fundraising and campaign finance laws. I just wasn't on ATS 5 years ago to talk about it and Obama is the current president who has yet to stop campaigning and traveling since he took office.

Mod Edit: Removed profanity from quoted post.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by maria_stardust]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by jibeho

This is insane, there are parts in the world where $17,600 can feed a person for an entire year! And what, these guys spend it on 1 meal. 365 days x 3 meals is 1095 meals a year that can be supplied to a kid in Africa. I'm sorry, I can't justify this - no matter what big wigs come to the event

Um..

Well I know for a fact that $17k can feed me for like 3 years. So I imagine 17k is enough to feed a small village in Africa for like 5 years lol..

People can do what they want with their money.. I believe it's disturbing and perverse.. it highlights the flaws of the American system. How can an independent run in these elections without an already solid foot hold into the district, when the opposition just needs to call the President to fill her coffers..

We deserve the ruin we are heading towards.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Monica Lewinsky knew what to eat on a 17K date.

Cigars.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Diners were treated to quail egg with caviar and salmon ceviche with jicama and avocado on a tortilla chip as their starting hors d'oeuvres.
[edit on 5/26/2010 by yeahright]

I especially liked this part. "A" tortilla chip. That reminds me of when I stayed at a Disney resort and we ate at one of the Mexican restaurants and ordered chips and salsa and they brought out FIVE well arranged chips at a cost of about 2 dollars per chip. I was livid, but now I see the rich will pay thousands of dollars per chip so what do I know.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Do I agree with it? No. Campaigning is an abusrd waste of money. But to sit and criticize Obama for it is also absurb. Every president does it. Every politician does it. This egging on every little thing that Obama does that is routine is just downright unhealthy.

The problem is with the campaign system itself. Campaigns should be limited in both time and money.

Funny how the right on here is always complaining that the liberals want to bring down capitalism and tell people how to spend their money, yet you pick and choose on who can spend their money and how.

If someone has 17k to blow on a silly dinner, by your standards, that is their right.

Lets talk about all the other rich waste that goes on in the country. How hollywood stars get 15,000k gift baskets for going to award shows. Or spend 800 to get their eyebrows waxed.

How many cars does a rap star need?

Or paying 15,0000 a night to stay at a hotel in Dubai with your own personal chef and wait staff?

These complaints could be made about any of the elite.

There is waste all over the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join