It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to Eat on a $17,600 Date With the President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here is just another taste of the bitter reality regarding just how detached Obama and his cronies are from real life. California is on the edge of collapse, the nation is suffering and we are about to lose the Gulf of Mexico and all that it supports.

So what does $92,000 an hour buy you in food? If you're President Barack Obama it gets you a plate full of hors d'oeuvres, a salad and ribs.

Mr. Obama's 19-hour whirlwind Bay Area fundraising trip filled Sen. Barbara Boxer's wallet with $1.75 million and he used a $17,600 a person dinner at the Getty Mansion in San Francisco to bring in the big bucks.

The president's 80 dinner guests were treated to an elaborate meal prepared by chef Jennifer Johnson, according to SF Gate, who got the scoop on the menu.

Diners were treated to quail egg with caviar and salmon ceviche with jicama and avocado on a tortilla chip
as their starting hors d'oeuvres. Next they were served a spring onion-asparagus tartlet with Meyer lemon vinaigrette-dressed frisee salad.

The main course was braised Kobe beef short ribs with potato puree and a salsa verde-topped spring vegetable ragout. And the evening was topped off with buckwheat crepes with roasted cherries and almond ice cream.

Of course guests were given the opportunity to smile and take a picture with their favorite fundraising president. Worth the $17,600 price tag? You tell us.
[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37360485/]>LINK

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Well what was the fundraiser for? You make no mention of why he was attending a fundraiser dinner, I mean for all I know it was to raise funds to protect the gulf eco-systems or maybe it was to help benefit the failing californian economy. Fundraiser dinner's are perfectly fine, and it's not like it's my money or your money this is private fund's being used, so really I don't see a problem here, perhaps you could enlighten me

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

This is insane, there are parts in the world where $17,600 can feed a person for an entire year! And what, these guys spend it on 1 meal. 365 days x 3 meals is 1095 meals a year that can be supplied to a kid in Africa. I'm sorry, I can't justify this - no matter what big wigs come to the event

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout
reply to post by jibeho

Well what was the fundraiser for? You make no mention of why he was attending a fundraiser dinner, I mean for all I know it was to raise funds to protect the gulf eco-systems or maybe it was to help benefit the failing californian economy. Fundraiser dinner's are perfectly fine, and it's not like it's my money or your money this is private fund's being used, so really I don't see a problem here, perhaps you could enlighten me

I don't think that you read the article. It clearly states that this was yet another fundraiser for Barbara Boxer. He attended an earlier fundraiser for her back in April. Just more of the same here. $17,600 per person to eat and get a picture with Obama. BTW we pay for every trip that he and his monstrous entourage takes.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
id be willing to see how much gold i could swallow in small pellets.......

that could easily fill out the large bill.... and id have a picture worth even more money 8-10 hours later.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Isn't it common at fundraisers to spend a good $5,000.00 + per plate? It's not that the food itself cost $17,000.00, it's that each dinner guest donated that amount to the cause, and was treated to a nice/quality dinner. That's how I understand fundraisers. I'm no fan of Obama, but it's good to put things into perspective before the outrage begins. Just my $0.02.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Please read the OP again.

Mr. Obama's 19-hour whirlwind Bay Area fundraising trip filled Sen. Barbara Boxer's wallet with $1.75 million and he used a $17,600 a person dinner at the Getty Mansion in San Francisco to bring in the big bucks.

This was another fundraiser (payoff, bribery, campaign contribution, money laundering, whatever) for the elitist politicians again. Tell me people, how much money can one charge at these type events? Can you have foreigners come to these so that foreigners could influence elections? I wonder if there were any BP folk in attendance?

Guest list please OP.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is from Obama's April fundraiser for Boxer. Same price tag as this one. $17,600 per head. The attached story does more to illuminate the plight of Californians.

Boxer, Obama Attend Lavish Private Hollywood Fundraiser, Ignore Average Voters As Unemployment Skyrockets

This is a tribute to Obama and company. Enjoy the walk back in time for those of you who can remember this.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Amusing comment from Obama regarding the latest Charity ball for Boxer.

President Obama came to California on Tuesday to raise money for Sen. Barbara Boxer. Speaking at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco, Obama said, "We just flew in today from Washington, and I have to say that we've got a lot on our plate right now, so I don't travel for just anybody. But when it comes to Barbara Boxer, I’m a lot like many of you, which is if she calls and she says, 'I need some help,' then we’re going to give her some help, because she has helped millions of Californians and millions of Americans all across the country."

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Hmmm... Must be a different Barbara Boxer..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The truth is most people who attend such functions could care less about the politician or the cause.

You are buying access to socialize and network with wealth, influential and politically connected people.

Most people see this as a business opportunity and in fact many corporations will charge this expense to advertising or research and development.

Millions and even billions of dollars can be made through networking with the right people who are in a decision making position to spend millions and even billions on goods and services various attendees sell and provide.

This is an opportunity for the rich to get richer, get to know one another better, and secure relationships, and begin to form business deals and ventures.

You are in fact paying the politician to give you access to their preferred and wealthiest donors.

You are doing this not for the politicians sake but your own.

It is simply a quid pro quo situation. Pay me a lot of money, and I will sit you down at a table with people who can make you a lot of money.

This is the dark side of how capitilism at it's upper levels actually functions.

The food doesn't sound half bad either!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
How can they have (or at least claim to have) this "eat the rich" attitude then spend all their time shoulder to shoulder with people who will spend up to 20K for a plate of ribs?

There's no way anybody is dropping what for most would amount to a years salary and not getting anything in return. A handshake and a photo is not the prize for that price.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
In case anyone is even wondering. Events like this are why the tax code has all the loopholes in it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by jibeho

This is insane, there are parts in the world where $17,600 can feed a person for an entire year! And what, these guys spend it on 1 meal. 365 days x 3 meals is 1095 meals a year that can be supplied to a kid in Africa. I'm sorry, I can't justify this - no matter what big wigs come to the event

$17,600 can feed an entire family of four for an entire year in the United States!

Whoops! The POTUS is attending. Break out the fried chicken and watermelon.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Parts of the world? Heck I could eat pretty well myself on $17,600 for a whole year. Of course that means I will be doing the cooking, but yeah. I would eat well.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout
...and it's not like it's my money or your money this is private fund's being used, so really I don't see a problem here, perhaps you could enlighten me

So where did that money come from then? Did they print it themselves?

Of course it came from us, we create the wealth with our labour, it then get's redistributed up in the form of private profits. These people don't 'make' money, they just collect the profits of our labours. The never ending cycle of produce and consume, while they collect the wealth and we collect the crap they sell us. They keep resources artificially scarce in order to keep maintaining their profits, they are thieves.

It's a slap in the face to everyone struggling to keep themselves from complete poverty.

This is why the country is ran by rich people with rich people agendas.
They have no idea what WE want or need, nor do they care as long as we produce and consume for their benefit. It's not about being envious of their wealth (wealth is a ghetto) it's about being sick of the system of 'the private ownership of the means of production' (capitalism) being in the hands of these few people so they can spend more than most make in a year on one dinner date so they can brag to their friends.

It's not THEIR money, it was stolen from all of us.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Obscene does NOT begin to cover it.
Our problem in this country is the M-O-N-E-Y that gets sucked into politics like a giant, insatiable black hole.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
As usual, the anti-obama squad is shooting before looking. These are typical, but because your on a smear campaign, you try to make it out like it isn't.

This is just another day of politics, to be made out to be something it isn't.

At $250,000, the “underwriter” package being offered by the committee, will get the donor four seats to Mr Bush’s swearing-in ceremony; ten VIP seats at the inaugural parade; two tickets to an “exclusive” underwriters’ lunch featuring Mr Bush and Vice-President Cheney; and twenty seats at candlelit dinners that will take place simultaneously at three locations in Washington, with special appearances by the President, the First Lady, and Mr Cheney and his wife, Lynne.

timesonline

Have a meal with Corker, Tennesse Republican for 10,000K
politico

Lets not forget the 25,000 starting bid dinner with Sarah Palin.
fox news

Ah, here is dinner with Sarah Palin again at 2500$ a head
linky

Where does Congress go for lunch? It depends on who's paying.

Almost everyday, a Member of Congress holds a fundraiser for lobbyists and political insiders at a Washington restaurant.

Because attendees are paying as much as $5,000 to come, they expect to get a good meal, so the choices are typically on the higher end

congress.org

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's not about food or money. It's about getting to rub elbows with the movers and the shakers, the chance to line up deals and network among the uber rich. That's why people will pay that kind of money. IT ain't because they adore Barbara Boxer.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by jibeho

This is insane, there are parts in the world where $17,600 can feed a person for an entire year!

Umm, you mean like anywhere?... You must have meant an entire family of 10.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join