It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a strange census worker story for you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
( Mods; I didn't know where to put this.) Anyhow I was a census worker. I was sitting in my truck looking at my papers (questionnaires) and I heard a loud pop and impact sound from inside the truck. What just happened? I looked at my coffee cup in the center console and there was a golf ball in it.

I have an older pickup, with three small windows in the back, one of which slides open to allow for venting. It was open. An air register over the radio was pushed in. The ball came in through the back open window, hit the register, bounced up and hit the front inside windshield and dropped down into the coffee cup. A hole in one! I looked around for the culprit, but saw no one. Just a little damage to the register.

When I turned my papers in to my crew leader at the end of the day I told what happened, and my crew leader assistant remarked, " and you were wearing your golf shirt, too".

I looked down at my shirt, it has a bunch of old photos of people practicing and playing golf, mostly stance and tee shots.

What are the odds? Believe it or not. I was not near a golf course but next to a high school. Take care.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Wow, what are the odds of that. I guess who ever did it wouldn't be able to repeat if they tried a million times. My guess is some kid was hitting balls on a soccer / football field, and shanked one real bad. I used to hit balls on my high school soccer field in SA all the time. Probably just an honest mistake.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hah, what a peculiar coincidence!
Yeah, it's never really safe around high schools, especially the ones in the city. I know... I have three years of it to survive still!
All the bad kids from middle school have grown up and have more connections to their illegal(and legal) drugs of choice and it makes them go nuts, obviously. Even when they're not under the influence, people in my age group are just... insane, generally.
Maybe it was one of their parents who achieved that hole-in-one?

I'm sure you've got census-haters in every community, but I think it's been taken a bit too far in this instance.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I gave the golf ball to the next lady I interviewed as a souveneir. She was outside her house watering some small plants at the time and may have heard the loud pop the ball made, since I was parked directly across from her house.

Interesting enough is in that self same pick up I have a shot out window (almost 4 years earlier) on the passenger side that I never replaced except with cellophane tape. I was in the truck at the time and filed a police report. Never found the projectile. Pellet gun? 22? Maybe a glass marble fired from a high velocity slingshot? The window turned into a spider web right away and collapsed. I even looked around for a rock at the scene. A mystery. At the time I thought I smelt that smell that burning powder from a bullet gives off. A small car passed by at the time. I thought I heard a pop, not loud.

About three months earlier someone shot into an elderly couple's car in this same small town. Killing one of the occupants and causing the driver to wreck the car. Case was never solved. Small caliber round.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4

What are the odds? Believe it or not. I was not near a golf course but next to a high school. Take care.

Golf was part of gym class where I went to High School. There was no golf course around, but we had to practice, hitting balls, anyway.

The odds are pretty good you got hit with the ball from a High School, if you were in the area, and they have a decent athletic program.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Wow, a million to one shot and great coincidence too, you wearing that golf top. I bet you were flabbergasted.

I remember, donkey's years ago, a story appeared in our local paper. A teacher at our high school got a hole-in-one. Miles away that same afternoon his son got a hole-in-one too.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

What a strange and wild story. I would guess it was a kid who was hitting a golf ball (better sign him quick with that aim), and the shirt adds to the strangeness. Thank you for sharing this one as truth really is stranger than fiction.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

As long as people don't get hurt I ADORE stories like this.

In gym class back in high school a couple idiot friends were hitting golf balls with a baseball bat. I said "hey man you are gonna end up killing someone or breaking a car"

The guy responds "yeah...what's gonna happen...am I gonna hit the Turano bread truck?"

((Turano is a famous bread maker here. Usually at my gym time he would pass by making rounds for the school))

2 minutes later the Turano driver pulls up with a lenghty crack in his window....with it was the golf ball with the school initials on it

not quite as wild as OP's but I love those stories

-Kyo

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4
( Mods; I didn't know where to put this.) Anyhow I was a census worker. I was sitting in my truck looking at my papers (questionnaires) and I heard a loud pop and impact sound from inside the truck. What just happened? I looked at my coffee cup in the center console and there was a golf ball in it.

I have an older pickup, with three small windows in the back, one of which slides open to allow for venting. It was open. An air register over the radio was pushed in. The ball came in through the back open window, hit the register, bounced up and hit the front inside windshield and dropped down into the coffee cup. A hole in one! I looked around for the culprit, but saw no one. Just a little damage to the register.

When I turned my papers in to my crew leader at the end of the day I told what happened, and my crew leader assistant remarked, " and you were wearing your golf shirt, too".

I looked down at my shirt, it has a bunch of old photos of people practicing and playing golf, mostly stance and tee shots.

Our high school has a golf team they practice right on the hs lawn. I was trying to get my daughter to go out for golf...but she wants to be a cheer priss.

top topics

join