It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police chiefs worried Arizona immigration law will increase crime meet with Attorney General

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

A group of police chiefs who have launched a campaign against the new Arizona immigration law which they believe will damage community relations with law enforcement agencies across the nation are set to meet with Attorney General Eric Holder on Wednesday morning.

A press release sent to RAW STORY states, "Arizona police chiefs are concerned that the new SB 1070 law in Arizona will drive a wedge between the community and the police, and will damage the trust that police agencies have worked to establish over many years with members of all their communities. More than a dozen other states are considering laws similar to Arizona’s. Police chiefs from some of America’s largest cities are joining with their Arizona colleagues to express these concerns and to seek the Attorney General’s advice and discuss the ramifications of state and federal immigration laws."

The Washington Post's Spencer S. Hsu reports, "Arizona's new crackdown on illegal immigration will increase crime in U.S. cities, not reduce it, by driving a wedge between police and immigrant communities, police chiefs from several of the state's and the nation's largest cities said Tuesday."

This is an interesting take on the relatively new law SB1070 from Law Enforcement.
Personally I don't think immigrant communities trust the LEOs anyway.

The new Arizona law will intimidate crime victims and witnesses who are illegal immigrants and divert police from investigating more serious crimes, chiefs from Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia said. They will join their counterparts from Montgomery County and a half-dozen other U.S. cities in meeting Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Wednesday morning to discuss the measure.

"This is not a law that increases public safety. This is a bill that makes it much harder for us to do our jobs," Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said. "Crime will go up if this becomes law in Arizona or in any other state."

[edit on 26-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Arizona police chiefs are concerned that the new SB 1070 law in Arizona will drive a wedge between the community and the police, and will damage the trust that police agencies have worked to establish over many years with members of all their communities

Nah buddy, police do enough to damage themselves. This doesn't change a damn thing.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Police Chiefs are to carry out the law. Voters, Leaders, Congress, Senators, Governors, etc....all MAKE the laws and pass them.

If there is no constitutional basis NOT to follow the law, you must enforce it. If you can't do that based on what you 'think might happen'....you need to hit the road. The law has not even gone 'live' yet. The SCOTUS has not made a decision on it or heard a dissenting case yet.

The police Chiefs might have an opinion, but they also have a job. The law isn't a popularity contest.

There are other factors here to consider too. Many uncomfortable realities. The "who profits" angle always seems to be a good first indicator. Everyone has something at stake in this. Police Chiefs could be listening to people that are involved with Illegal activities within the force themselves, they could be nervous about their snitches going silent, they could be frustrated with having to do more work than previously, which happens at any job....cops aren't immune.

On a personal note...I heard that visiting www.rawstory.com makes your brain shrink and causes severe cases of the 'stupids'. Just an FYI.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I posted this earlier-here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting video and info near the last posting at my thread. The headline is very misleading.

Take care

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I'm sorry but I posted this earlier-here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting video and info near the last posting at my thread. The headline is very misleading.

Take care

It's all good. Mine is in "madness" and yours is in "news"

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Over 70% of the citizens support the law. LE would be well advised to shut the hell up and do their job for a change. Remember "Protect and to Serve". You serve the CITIZENS of Arizona, not the illegal immigrants. Grow some balls for something other than harassing legal citizens for once.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yeah, the law may cause people to break the law on people that break the law who have broken the law who have broken the law.

Sorry, I got lost.

Let me start again, the cops think that because of the law the law might be broken on people that have broken the law of the law that is the same as the federal law.

Hmmm, I think I got it right that time.

new topics

top topics

join