It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*UPDATE* BP has NEVER shown us the main leak! Until now...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

OK, thanks. I figured the principle was probably the same but those schematics don't give a real sense of something closing off the channel.

I was just thinking that in case all the fancy stuff fails, an engineer designing this thing might want to add in one low tech backup system somewhere along that channel, but not so low tech as trying to plug it with crap.

Someone real smart once said something like "a complex system that doesn't work at all is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that worked well" (pun intended).

Edit for finding the quote:
37signals.com...
(I like my mis-remembered version better than the actual quote!)

[edit on 26-5-2010 by LookingIn]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

Wow excellent find, thank you for posting that vid, I had not seen it. It sure does answer my questions about what we were seeing, it does look like the bend in the pipe at the top. I was convinced it looked like concrete, but your video clearly showed it, being from a different angle and a lot clearer.

Thanks again!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IzarithThe BOP is a great way to stop and prevent a blow out that would lead to a huge spill,

For the love of everything that's still decent in the world, please stop calling this a spill.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by arbrefeu

You beat me to it

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My opinion on this topic is not a popular one.. I know.

And as a newbie on this site I should probably keep my head down for a while.. I guess.. but that's not my style.

Besides.. there appears to be such a ONE SIDED position on this issue by the mainstream media, the alternative media and the entire blogoshere in general that this opinion NEEDS to expressed.

What if there is NO LEAK!

It would not be the first time that TPTB have conspired to attempt to keep us paralysed in a fear based state without there being much justification for doing so.

What if there is an agenda.. based on decreased oil supplies, increased oil prices and further bogus green policies?

Calls to shut down BHP's Atlantis oilfield
www.theaustralian.com.au...

It would hardly be very surprising.. would it.

Now that the global warming farce has fallen over.. isn't it likely that this psuedo-green movement would re-position itself?

Now before you all attack me.. let me just say that there is obviously a lot of oil in the water in the gulf at the moment.

An oil rig exploded.. of course there would be.

But I think we all need to allow for the possibility that it is not as bad as what the media is portraying it as.

I am not the first to write about this position on ATS either:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by veiledvisitor
As I am a new member, I can not post and make a seperate thread. Perhaps I do not need to. But anyway, there is twittering about it RAINING OIL in Orlando, FL. I would like someone to confirm, if anyone is from there.

www.twitlonger.com...

What you do is look on your car or look on the ground and if it is raining, see if it smells like oil or if it drys up or if it is slimy or leaves a residue of oil.

You started a thread 4 years ago. And you have 21 posts.

That's quite a claim, do some digging for facts and start a new one.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
On a serious note. Is there an official website with up-to-date information? Be it BP or government. I feel like everybody on ATS is guessing. Some more educated than others, but we're mostly left in the dark. It feels like 9/11 when Bush was safely on Air Force One and the populus was left to media reports. Not good ...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

I both agree and disagree with you on your post. I do think they are currently showing the main feed. I do tend to agree with you and what ignoranceisbliss said earlier, that this is mud coming out of the main wellhead in addition to some oil.

The whole point in this post was that they have NOT been showing the main leak. They had been showing the broken pipe. This was confirmed earlier this afternoon by BP themselves as well as CNN.

CNN also has a multi feed up currently. There are times when you can make out there are definitely 2 different leaks they are showing at the same time. You can plainly see they are not the same thing. One is shooting straight up. It has multiple pipes sticking out of it.

The other is a much smaller horizontal running pipe along the ocean floor.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

this is all BP has to say about it.....Throughout the extended top kill procedure – which may take up to two days to complete - very significant changes in the appearance of the flows at the seabed may be expected. These will not provide a reliable indicator of the overall progress, or success or failure, of the top kill operation as a whole. BP will report on the progress of the operation as appropriate and on its outcome when complete.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LookingIn

Actually lol.

It's funny you say this quote because the BOP is actually kind of like a secondary fail safe for a very rudimentary way of stopping the flow.

See haliburton was contracted to install 3 cement plugs along the length of the well hole, these 3 cement plugs along with the mud filling the well should have been enough to prevent the oil despite the pressure from blowing out.

What happened was a BP executive told Trans to disregard the third cement plug and pull out all the mud.

This is why the BOP was even needed in the first place because there was no mud, and one cement plug was not installed.

But if those simple things would not have been disregarded and removed, the POD would have not even been needed.

So yeah your Quote is spot on.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KINGKONG

I believe you, but is there a source?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
anyone else watching the feed currently? either the cam is glitching out or the pressure has become so great that the low fps of the cam is making the flow look strange. www.bp.com...

edit: its so mucky now I can't see whats going on

[edit on 26-5-2010 by beansbeansbeans]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
need to keep an eye on the size of the plume and the hole - if it's increasing that means it confirms what I most fear - that the MUD is acting as blaster - like a sand blaster - thinning out the inner walls of the pipe.

But I'm still hopeful it's not the case.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
When I had read they finally succeeded in inserting a 4 inch pipe into a 21 inch "main" pipe, I did wonder about that. I thought that seemed small.

This oilfield is HUGE. Some estimates are it is the largest ever found. Even BP doesn't know the size of it. There is NO WAY they are using a 21 inch pipe as the main hole out of a well that large.

Look at the above blowout preventer I posted above. While this isn't necessarily one they used on this rig, it is a reference point. It's many feet across, maybe 1 1/2 -2 meters, at it's largest point.

And that's just a "stock" photo of one. This well was larger than what this image shows. So theirs has to be way larger. the side pipes don't look close to 21 inches around.

this video is a sham. They are passing off a smaller leaking pipe near the same scene as the "MAIN" leak.

As I have said before,Before I got old I used to work in the oilfields in Texas, Oklahoma Kansas, and Colorado, and I have seen blowouts before, no 2 are the same. The 21 inch pipe mentioned is called casing .it's to prevent the upper layers of the wellbore from collapsing in and locking the drillpipe in the hole.and the BOP is attached to the top of the casing maybe if you all did a little bit more research into this before speaking , you wouldnt look so foolish with your wild theories, and no it's not spraying into the water like the land blowouts there is approximately 2000 psi of water pressure at 5000 feet deep so of course its not gushing like crazy, and the pipe laying on the seafloor used to be attached to the rig before it blew up, what happens when 5000 feet of pipe no longer has a means of support?? DUHHHH!
Or maybe it was the space aliens, pretending to be TeaParty members,pretending to be treehuggers that did this to make a point about offshore drilling....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndersonLee
The feeds show mud blowing out of the holes hard and fast. That means the pressure has not been stopped . They can not seal it off until the pressure calms down ? am I right or wrong ?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

wrong

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShaneCMuir

What if there is NO LEAK!

There's a leak brother, there's alot of oil coming ashore, there's alot of oil to be seen from the sky too.
Now where's the oil going to go?
Everywhere, inland during storms when its picked up, also up the eastern seaboard and eventually to europe.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-5-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

jah!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
reply to post by Izarith

Wow excellent find, thank you for posting that vid, I had not seen it. It sure does answer my questions about what we were seeing, it does look like the bend in the pipe at the top. I was convinced it looked like concrete, but your video clearly showed it, being from a different angle and a lot clearer.

Thanks again!

I'm not clear on what your talking about, maybe i was not clear myself.

There are two different flows of oil and gas. One is from a crack in the pipe right off the BOP and another larger flow coming out of the end of the raiser pipe.

BP have been showing the end of the raiser pipe flow for the past few weeks on live feed.

IMO because it was the largest and they also have a 4 inch pipe sucking oil for share holders.

Now they are showing the BOP main well flow on live feed. But they have not hidden this flow from people at all, there are numerous videos that are not live feed that have been showing the main well flow for as long as they have had the pipe end flow on live feed.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

That is what I have been worried about, there was some very large debris coming out about 8-9 pm on the time stamp. I remembered someone sayin just the natural debris in the oil could have that effect, let alone the mud?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Maybe this oil spill will was a message to north Korea . who knows , I mean If north Korea sees how long its taking us to fix this , Think about them looking at there stuff with there technology being 200 years behind us it would take them years to fix anything if we went to war with them..

[edit on 26-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join