It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier Beaten After Reporting Crimes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

US Soldier Beaten After Reporting Crimes

www.military.com

May 26, 2010
Agence France-Presse
A U.S. Soldier who blew the whistle on his comrades over possible drug use and the deaths of three civilians in southern Afghanistan suffered a severe beating in retaliation, officials said Tuesday.

The Soldier was beaten after telling authorities about illicit drugs and then, while recovering in hospital, recounted his comrades' alleged role in the deaths of three Afghan civilians, said two officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Soldier was "beaten within an inch of his life," one of the officials told AFP.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
More sordid tales from the War in Afghanistan as a whistle blowing soldier is beaten within an inch of his life for reporting drug related activity amongst some of his fellow soldiers to his superiors.

Drug related activity that may or may not have evolved into deadly violence against Afghani civilians, as the soldier has leveled accusations of murder against his fellow soldiers once regaining consciousness from his savage beating.

The Military is apparently acknowledging that three civilians may have in fact been unlawfully killed by the accused soldiers over a three month time period, but aren’t releasing details of the actual occurrences or the whistle blowing soldier’s accusations at this time.

All of this is going on in the Kandahar district which is now considered the key to winning control of the embattled nation, and the main target of the current ‘surge’ of U.S. troops into Afghanistan.

Ultimately though winning Afghanistan will require winning the hearts and minds of Afghanis and maintaining a working alliance with the government that is at odds with the high number of civilian casualties being racked up in the 9 year long war that appears to currently have no real end in sight.

Yet as this and other stories have portrayed it is very much a free for all over there, for the U.S. Military and Private Military Contractors looking to profit off of a flourishing black market trade in opium and heroin, with Afghanistan once again becoming the world’s largest supplier over the course of the occupation.

As the War on Terror and the War on Drugs rages on, one might wonder, just who is doing the terrorizing, and who is in fact intent on making the lucrative illegal drug trade flourish.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

If this is true, those men will pay. Drug use in the Military is nothing new, its been going on since Roman Wars.

But if it is true they will be punished severally.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

If this is true, those men will pay. Drug use in the Military is nothing new, its been going on since Roman Wars.

But if it is true they will be punished severally.

No doubt about it Drug use and wars go back to Alexander's time and probably before.

But there is a big difference between drug use and drug pushing. An even bigger difference between drug pushing, and drug smuggling.

A soldier looking to soothe away aches and pains, fatigue, fears and tedium is one thing, a soldier using a war and his/her involvement in it to establish a black market business for profit another.

The opium crop has not increased 90 fold in Afghanistan simply to feed the addiction of soldiers in the war zone, they aren't that big of a market.

I don't think at this point we can determine to what extent these soldiers were involved in just being users, pushers or smugglers.

Yet these are not the limits of their crimes either, the murder of civilians are in fact much greater ones.

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This soldier deserves a metal. Way to stand up for justice dude, no matter the consequences.

That's all I have to say about that.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

He is definately a brave and noble sort, it's a shame we place these people into harms way, and in such a manner that they can actually become a harm to one another because of a lax supervision and screening.

Those who live by the sword often die by it, that's for certain.

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Military Recruits more Ex-Cons

The article is from 2008, though I don't think the practices have changed much.

Among the convictions, many were for stealing, including burglary and car thefts, and drug offences.

Waivers were also granted to three people convicted of manslaughter, nine guilty of sex crimes, and nine convicted of making terror threats, including bomb threats.

These convicts do not need to be rehabilitated in the military where they are surrounded by power(full weapons).

I commend this brave soldier for what he did and stood up for his convictions.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

What a world we live in, where a fighting man is beaten by his own brothers in arms for simply doing the right thing. Not surprising really, perhaps these soldiers were involved in illicit drug deals or were middle men for some of the higher ups who moonlight as drug dealers. One thing's for sure, either these men or someone pulling their strings had a great deal to lose with this man coming forward.

One thing's for sure. Even alleging three civilians may have died unlawfully is as good as a confession in the eyes of some people, the Kharzai government included these days. This could shape up to be a bombshell in terms of foreign relations if these men are tied to the drug trade. It will do nothing to repair the perception of the US military among the Afghan citizenry.

Thanks for posting this Proto.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
so hello to your future america! these drug addicted brain washed violent guys are future police ans swat members.. it is ridiculous to even have a drug problem in the military, can't they do better recruiting?? Plus, always hearing as a child how the illegal drug substances were bad for you, now those same drugs are sold with a prescription.. opium, heroin, coc aine bad!! at least that is what my parents generation taold me growing up in the 80's. now they are taking them from a doctor?!? lokk at how many people are on prescription meds!! it is documented scientific fact what the elements used in pharma do to the human mind/body. we live in bizarro land!!!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This could shape up to be a bombshell in terms of foreign relations if these men are tied to the drug trade.

Why do you think the officials who wished to remain anonymous remained anonymous?

In the end this ties in with the CIA and black budget operations. There is no WAY in hell they would be tied to the drug trade, whether or not they are. Absolutely NO chance in hell. If this soldier tried, I think a future report would come in saying the soldier died of his wounds. Because that will look a lot better for the CIA and the US as a whole rather than being connected to the most profitable drug trade in the history of the Drug War.

Also Proto, you're a damn good writer. I love your threads man, make more PLEASE. It's a breath of fresh air to be frank.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

In order to fulfill recruitment quotas, criminals have been given the opportunity to serve and so have people up to 45 years of age, who can enlist for the first time.

Filling the ranks of the all volunteer army for these wars has not been easy and the suicide rates of both active duty soldiers and veterans is sky high, in large part because of the atrocities being carried out in the war.

Thanks for posting and sharing that aspect of the makeup of our forces.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
so hello to your future america! these drug addicted brain washed violent guys are future police ans swat members.. it is ridiculous to even have a drug problem in the military, can't they do better recruiting?

Uh...yeah about that...

My friends dad was in Vietnam. 3 tours. Oh, and he volunteered. 1st Army, and did some spec ops. He isn't messed up or anything, he is just a gun loving black guy who has family going back to the civil war fighting for this country. He described EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, in the war, as three kinds of people. You had the drunks, who killed themselves by accident in some way. You had the dopers, smoking opium and heroin, who got killed in a fight. And you had the pot heads, who were the twitchy, crazy motherfrackers who lived.

EVERYONE in Vietnam was one of the three. Now you weren't guaranteed to die if you were a drunk or a doper, but the odds were against you. Again, this is three tours, did some stuff he won't/can't talk about, he saw a lot. And his head is still straight and sharp as always so I know I can trust what he saw.

This isn't even getting into WWII. I mean half of the Nazi troops were on some form of amphetamine, and the American troops loved their morphine. In fact, America loves morphine in general. In the Civil war it was a big problem, in WWI it was as big as a problem as it would have been relative to the fact we weren't in it for more than a year 1/2. Hell, even going back to the freakin' revolution and the founding fathers: Washington grew pot specifically for smoking, Jefferson grew and smoked opium, in one of Thomas Paine's FIRST fliers, he listed hemp as the first thing people need to start a revolution. Yeah, they made a lot of stuff with it. But they also smoked it. And Ben Franklin is known to have partaken in wild orgies, I'm sure he got drunk and stoned like the rest of them. Rum and whiskey too, incredibly popular. American troops have always been on drugs. Hell, every army has been on drugs.

To address on the recruiting, I can also recount stories from plenty of friends around my age who did some drug regularly, and all they needed to do was get clean for the initial process. Hell, I've heard stories of recruiting officers themselves making sure these guys are clean, even helping them get clean. They don't give a damn.

But man I gotta say you have a funny opinion on America during war and the troops drug use. Hell, Vietnam should be well known. It's why the War on Drugs started in the first place! It was Nixon, concerned with the soldiers coming home and the soldiers there being on drugs, especially smoking pot. Nixon thought "hmm...hippies smoke pot....soldiers smoke pot......OH SHI-".

[edit on 26-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

This could shape up to be a bombshell in terms of foreign relations if these men are tied to the drug trade.

Why do you think the officials who wished to remain anonymous remained anonymous?

In the end this ties in with the CIA and black budget operations. There is no WAY in hell they would be tied to the drug trade, whether or not they are. Absolutely NO chance in hell. If this soldier tried, I think a future report would come in saying the soldier died of his wounds. Because that will look a lot better for the CIA and the US as a whole rather than being connected to the most profitable drug trade in the history of the Drug War.

Also Proto, you're a damn good writer. I love your threads man, make more PLEASE. It's a breath of fresh air to be frank.

I agree with you on your assessment of the CIA and its alleged involvement in the Drug Trades. Many of us do believe that they not only oversee smuggling operations to fund off the books projects to keep them from congressional oversight, but to also enrich both the local oligarchs and the international oligarchs who have long had a hand in the trade for centuries.

Opium wars in China weren’t fought because the Western Nations participating in them abhorred drugs, they were being fought by Western Nations to secure and dominate the trade and profit off of it.

I do try to write as many threads as time allows for my friend.

Thanks for posting, and an excellent post it is, very topical and insightful.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
As it was stated in another news thread (that russia accuse NATO of suporting drug cartels in afghanistan), its the army/government that is corrupted. So don't expect much.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There is a gap that needs to fulfilled, I completely understand that. But to fill them with cons who have already broken the law and are probably more like to breaking it again should not be the avenue chosen. I don't know if the ones who took part in the beating of this brave soldier have such a backgrounds.

I would suggest other areas for recruitment, Allow those waiting in line to immigrate here an opportunity to serve for the country they want to become a citizen of. After a couple of tours, grant them & their immediate family the citizenship. I understand we already practice this to an extent but if we allow this channel to be opened up for the many more who are still knocking on the door of immigration, might be easier to cover that gap.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

The sad truth is the key to winning wars of occupation is entirely dependent on winning hearts and minds. If you can’t win the hearts and minds of the population they will fight you to the death of every last man, woman and child before giving up.

Winning the hearts and minds of Afghanis is a near impossible task, no Empire has ever done it successfully and in fact the children of Afghanistan will pick up weapons and fight foreign invaders to defend their way of life.

We like to portray that as abhorrent, but what is abhorrent is when a child is so threatened in their own nation and their own home, by foreign invaders, who do so much destruction, murder and pillaging, that even a child is compelled out of fear and conscious to confront it and fight it.

We continually blunder in winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan and the truth is we will never win the war, unless we do figure out a way to do that, and we really aren’t figuring out a way to do that.

Since it is such a critical part of military strategy, nine years into the occupation, we almost have to assume, that we are willfully doing the opposite and purposefully inflaming passions to maintain a hostile resistance to maintain the occupation for the sake of controlling the opium and heroine trade which is the largest single cash business in the world.

When I say largest cash business, while yes the oil business is bigger, much of it is done through EFT Banking and not cash.

The Heroine trade doesn’t use credit cards and doesn’t create taxable revenue, and it’s worth hundreds of billions of dollars a year, and that is something that the big boys including nations themselves will fight for.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I think it was in the 80'2 and 90'2 the Army did a huge purge of gang bangers, they have made there way back in the system a new generation of them.... I know this for a fact because I chaptered one guy out, because of it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

In order to fulfill recruitment quotas, criminals have been given the opportunity to serve and so have people up to 45 years of age, who can enlist for the first time.

Could you image being 45 and being shipped of to FT Benning GA to Sand Hill For some BCTB-BASIC training? Wow I think they have a number issues going on now.

As for the soldier who spoke up: I feel this goes on alot, as we know Pat Tillman was killed by his own crew, I wonder if the same thing was going on in the Rangers?

Troubling to think of that again our soldiers face two fronts, themselves and the targets of their efforts. This to me seems a never ending battle, that once again will repeat like the Russian-Afghanistan Battle years ago.

Also as another had spoke about, These individuals come back to the states as find employment as SWAT and Police Officers.

Do we remember the State Trooper that tried to arrest the Paramedics in OK that had a patient? When it was all over and the media had a chance to interview the Trooper, he attributed his overbearing demeanor and agitation to recently serving in Iraq.

Unfortunatley if this is the case, soon there will be an increase in brutality cases.

This soldier did the right thing!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

No I sure couldn't imagine being 45 and going in to basic training. I was just about to turn 45 when they extended the age a few years ago and I got a real chuckle out of that.

I asked myself Proto it's not to late to join the army! I was of course thinking of the black market opportunities as I mused it over for all of 9.2 seconds.

Yet the truth is that war is racket, fought for spoils, and the very first markets appeared outside of military camps, because the very first coins were made to pay soldiers, who because they were far from home, and fighting in wars instead of engaged in a trade or farming, or mining, had nothing to barter with.

Slavery and debt and currency are all concepts born out of war, and keeping armies fighting.

Most of them are fought for resources, and living space.

Afghanistan is no difference in that it is being largely occupied for the world's largest opium crop, and to lay a pipeline across it from neighboring countries for what might be the world's largest oil source.

Oil that until the war in Afghanistan could only be exported through a Soviet Controlled pipeline.

The reality is our troops are little more than security guards for opium fields and a oil pipeline in a nation that the people really don't want them there, with many of our troops looking to pick up a piece of the action for themselves, which is what being a soldier in many ways has long been about.

War is neither just or moral and those fighting in them who are just and moral are bound to encounter hostility for those virtues from the majority who in fact really aren't.

Wars are fought to rape, murder and pillage peoples and their lands, nothing glorious at all about that, except for the patriotic fictions used to enlist the men and women to fight them.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

There is a gap that needs to fulfilled, I completely understand that. But to fill them with cons who have already broken the law and are probably more like to breaking it again should not be the avenue chosen.

You don't know everyone's circumstances. Poverty breeds crime. Many recruits come from poverty stricken backgrounds. My father admits to being arrested twice before he joined at 18. He never committed another crime. Never went to jail again. For quite a few people the service is a way out of the ghettos and trailer parks they lived in. Getting away from the bad company is a big step to becoming a new person. People can change. I do not think violent criminals should be allowed to serve however (and they normally are not).

I would suggest other areas for recruitment, Allow those waiting in line to immigrate here an opportunity to serve for the country they want to become a citizen of. .

It's already done. One of the largest recruiting stations is actually in Mexico city.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by antonia]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join