It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Cleveland Cops Suspended After Mistaking Corpse on Road for Dead Deer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

2 Cleveland Cops Suspended After Mistaking Corpse on Road for Dead Deer

www.foxnews.com

CLEVELAND -- Two Cleveland police officers have been suspended for six months without pay for driving by a roadside corpse, mistaking it for a dead deer.

Public Safety Director Martin Flask said Tuesday the officers failed to slow or stop their vehicle to investigate and made false reports of their patrol activities.

The officers drove by the corpse April 5, calling a highway crew to report a deer carcass on Interstate 90. When crews arrived, they discovered the body 28-year-old Angel Bradley-Crocket. Two people have been charged in her strangulation death.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fox8.com

[edit on 26-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

Mod Edit: Changed thread title to reflect actual headline of article.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by maria_stardust]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

"I got a quick glimpse of it as I went by," one caller told a 911 dispatcher. "I drove back, and sure enough, it looks like a black woman. She's definitely dead, that's for sure."

The dispatcher responded by saying, "OK, we already sent someone out there, and they said that it is not a dead body, but it's a deer."

The disciplinary hearing determined Officers Prince and Muñiz did not use their spotlight to confirm what they thought was a deer and the officers made false reports of their patrol activities that morning.

Bradley-Crockett, a mother of three, had been strangled and beaten before being left along the Interstate.

These kind of Police cases just puts an entire department in shame. These officers were not out there to serve the public who pays for their salaries, but to be TV cops roaming around where ever they wanted.

They made false reports of their patrol activity. The worst part is even when a caller had identified the corpse as that of a dead woman, the cops ignored 911's request and stated that it was a dead deer.

If a citizen can identify that the body was that of a Dead Woman, why couldn't these 2 trained officers?

Again, individuals like these give an the entire police force a bad name. There are many good LEO's out there and many of them frequent these forums, I have much respect for what these all of them go through and put their lives at stake every day.

Retards like these 2, should not only be suspended for 6 months but assigned to work at a coroners office to be able to identify what a corpse looks like.

www.fox8.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Since then they have now two suspects in custody and awaiting trial.

At the 2:54 mark is the 911 call and the response by the 2 nitwits above.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
These 2 guys should never be allowed near a badge again, like 80% of all cops.

To serve and protect.....I myself have almost been hit by cops twice this summer turning on their lights and going through a red light so they dont have to stop like the rest of us peons.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
These 2 guys should never be allowed near a badge again, like 80% of all cops.

To serve and protect.....I myself have almost been hit by cops twice this summer turning on their lights and going through a red light so they dont have to stop like the rest of us peons.

80% ?? You must have more faith than me in cops...I would peg it at 99%.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
They should not have looked with their car spotlight, they should have actually stopped the car, gotten out and physically inspected the suspected body.

However, we must not forget that the Cleveland Division of Police employed 1,613 sworn officers and 272 civilian staff as of 2008. Two officers do not represent the other 1,600+.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
They should not have looked with their car spotlight, they should have actually stopped the car, gotten out and physically inspected the suspected body.

They didn't even shine a spotlight, if they had they would have clearly seen the difference.

The citizen who did make that call was able to make the judgment while driving and he turned around and came back again to report it to 911.

And I agree, these 2 do not represent the entire force but instead tarnish those good officers who actually serve justice and protect the denizens.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wonder how many calls police departments get over dead deer? How many have been reported as bodies?

If they thought nothing of it at all, they wouldn't of called highways.

Stupid mistake? Absolutely. But people forget how much BS comes into police and fire departments.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well this story should certainly attract our usual bunch of juvenile posters who think all cops are either incompetent or fascists.

I can hear the bongs hitting the floor as I type.......

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
From my experience, the bigger the city and/or the more crime a city has, the higher chance of having negative experiences with police officers. That is one of the reasons I don't live in the city anymore.

These two officers have probably been on that same call multiple times and every time the "corpse" was a dead deer. This one time that the corpse is actually a corpse and they are screwed for 6 months. At the same time, it was their duty to do more than just a 55mph investigation.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A deer....

Yup easily mistaken for a human being....

Not...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

I don't know if frequency should used as an excuse to avoid investigating claims. Especially after a citizen who went by the scene twice to confirm a dead body, these 2 still claimed a deer.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Odd seeing this thread pop up today. I just drove by the location where this body was found yesterday. There has been a makeshift memorial there ever since she was found.

I hope these officers lose their jobs for this. This is a densely populated urban area near busy interstate 90 and West 44 street and deer are not a common sight.

Just pathetic.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I wonder how many calls police departments get over dead deer? How many have been reported as bodies?

Stupid mistake? Absolutely. But people forget how much BS comes into police and fire departments.

not a stupid mistake.
Blatant disregard of the duties they are paid to uphold.
Theft of taxpayer resources.

If you or I took tax dollars to complete a task or job, and refused to do it, we would be charged with fraud or worse.

but if they have a badge it's a mistake?
double standards anyone?

Originally posted by ChrisF231

However, we must not forget that the Cleveland Division of Police employed 1,613 sworn officers and 272 civilian staff as of 2008. Two officers do not represent the other 1,600+.

Oh yes they do represent the others.
As a member of the office of law enforcement they most certainly do represent the badge and office they hold.
That is why they have a code of conduct, and openly criticize behavior unbecoming of an officer of the law... or at least that's the PR they spin when they need it to slap an officer down.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I could see the problem with all the people who call the police to cry wolf umm i mean dead deer opps i mean dead body.
after the 500th time of going to check and finding yet another deer I could understand a laps of constriction
your doing 55 its dark the grass is never cut any more.
you see a lump in the grass dark as every thing else seen way to many dead deer . well darny its just another dead deer get on the horn and call the road crew to pick it up.
maybe a little slap to wake the guys up is all that is needed . caption officer you will check any and all dead bodys to verfi there spices every time .
think this would solve this problem?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well, at least the cops in question were suspended. And they will be reassigned to other duties. They should probably be fired, IMHO, because if they arent willing to do what would have been a relatively simple thing in the line of duty, odds are they wont be any more motivated under more pressing circumstances.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

So you'd be fine with officers ignoring your cry for help because someone is trying to kill you when they must get that same call many times a day?

Disgusting show of support for these idiots, IMO.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Well this story should certainly attract our usual bunch of juvenile posters who think all cops are either incompetent or fascists.

Well, THESE TWO cops were either:

1.) Deciding to not do their job

or

2.) Are incompetent

There are no two other ways about it.

About this point in time, it would be very safe of you to assume most police are like this. It could save your life...or help you identify a dead body lying in the road...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

No, just stupid human error. You don't know who these people are. They could of saved a hundred lives by now. But people call for their heads.

If a person thought they saw a body, why did they just call and keep on going? If I thought I saw a body, I would stay there to make sure that the police found it. I find that odd as well.

Might have been a factor into why they didn't stop.

And yes, we do have these kind of scenarios all the time. At my work, you have to dial 9 to get to an outside line. Police show up all the time because someone accidently dials 911. They still check and I am grateful they do. But they also know that it is just that, a hangup. Because a person in a real emergency would probalby stay on the phone screamign someone has a gun.

Just like with a body.

I also hope that one of our stupid dialers doesn't pull the police from a real emergency that could leave someoen else in jeopardy.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

If a person thought they saw a body, why did they just call and keep on going? If I thought I saw a body, I would stay there to make sure that the police found it. I find that odd as well.

Your points make your stance more acceptable.

Although, if I saw a body on the road, I would not stop either. Who is to say that the murderer isn't still around?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join