It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Community Board Oks Ground Zero Mosque Plans! (it's going to happen)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

After hours of contentious public comment, a New York City community board voted late Tuesday to support a plan to build a mosque and cultural center near ground zero. "It's a seed of peace," board member Rob Townley said. "We believe that this is significant step in the Muslim community to counteract the hate and fanaticism in the minority of the community."

The vote was 29-to-1 in favor of the plan, with 10 abstentions. The move by the Manhattan Community Board 1, while not necessary for the building's owners to move forward with the project, is seen as key to obtaining residents' support. Some board members wanted to postpone a vote until the next meeting to gather more information about the project and the organizations sponsoring it. But the motion failed.

The meeting was unruly, with project opponents jeering at speakers and yelling comments such as "You're building over a Christian cemetery!" while holding signs that read, "Show respect for 3000," among other things. Many said they were not opposed to a mosque — just not one that's two blocks from ground zero.

The families of Sept. 11 victims "would be wounded by erecting a mega mosque so close to the place where their loved ones were massacred," said Viviana Hernandez, a chaplain. "Even though they may have altruistic reasons, the real terrorists will see it as a win on their side."

Bruce Wallace, who lost a nephew on 9/11, said the center can change the misperceptions about Islam. "The moderate Muslim voice has been squashed in America," he said. "Here is a chance to allow moderate Muslims to teach people that not all Muslims are terrorists."

Tea party activist Mark Williams has called the proposed center a monument to the terror attacks.

Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer said in a statement that by supporting the multi-faith community and cultural center, the board "sent a clear message that our city is one that promotes diversity and tolerance."

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said there were no security concerns about building a mosque in the area.

Source: www.newsmax.com...: [Wednesday, 26 May 2010 06:55 AM]

Wow. What to do, what to do? Very good article that presents both sides arguements nicely. Please refer to it for additonal info.

So, a tribute/monument to terrorist or a sign of NYC's diversity and tolerance? Will it go a long way to show people that Muslins as a whole are not terrorist/bad etc or a constant reminder of what happened on 9/11?

Me. well. I don't agree with it but I do respect their rights to obtain property and run a facility that caters to their religion. I just wish they had more concern and/or respect (IMO). But, land/buildings being what they are in NYC, you gotta take what you can get a lot of the times.

We shall see if it turly is a family based opeartion or a base to grow terrorist-or both. I am sure many will be watching them. Thoughts? How about you NYC ATS members?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is trully sick. Why are people putting up with this?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's just a gut feeling, but I have the feeling that Mosque might become a target of vandalism. Hopefully this doesn't have the opposite effect that the Muslim's are wanting this mosque to have on the community and create a dislike of Muslim's being in a community.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by XtremeDethBear]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
but muslims didn' t do 911 the zionists and the us government did

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Real estate in lower Manhattan is not exactly cheap. Pull back the curtain and I'd suspect some Saudi money behind this. Whether or not you believe the official story of 9/11, I think one might come to the conclusion that this would become a pilgrimage site for radical Muslims believing that 19 Hijackers took down the towers.

Absolutely disgusting.

Furthermore, I'd bet this goes up before any of the new towers.

Ughh. [spit]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Don't tell them that Starwarsisreal. It ruins their little hate Islam campaign. If it was a Christian church it would be ok because they are right and anyone else is wrong. It's funny to see people with the same mentality carrying signs of Obama with a Hitler moustache when they hate Muslims just like Hitler hated the Jews. Such hypocrites.

Good for the Muslims and their mosque. These self-righteous Christians and their hate filled message is an embarrasment to right thinking Americans.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just to clarify some practicalities outside of the discussion of what is appropriate or not.

I have gone before several community boards in NYC because of the business I was in. Although in many cases public comment can be vigorous for or against a particular venture, the board is all but powerless to stop it if the proposal is built on solid legal foundation. In the old days NYC community boards were much more proactive insofar as deciding things on a whim and opinion ... a few massive lawsuits later they all got extremely "gunshy" about rejecting anything other than because it doesn't comply with local and zoning laws and directives. In essence, if any proposal is sound from a compliance perspective, no matter the public outcry, they will pass it for fear of lawsuits. I can imagine if they had exercised such capriciousness in this instance it would have cost them millions (which they don't have) to defend in a lawsuit which they would lose anyway.

Just thought I would add this element, for chances are it is the major reason behind their decision rather than any ethical considerations.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Dubya turned the whole 'war on terror' into a crusade, so now everyone hates Islam. Sure there are fanatical fundamentalists among them, but that doesn't mean that they are all terrorists. Remember that possibly all of the IRA were good Catholics, and we don't call all Christians terrorists because of that.

The USA is supposed to be a melting pot (hint: big green statue in the harbor) and diversity is what makes the US a great country. As noted above, there would be no outcry if this was a church or synagogue. It's simply a place of worship, nothing more. It doesn't symbolize anything and it is not disrespectful to anyone, and besides, the whole "it was Muslims" thing is still hotly disputed.

Objecting to this mosque is simply racism.

The only objection I would have is that as a place of worship, it's tax-exempt. There's the crime. That's where you should be indignant.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
"It ruins their little hate Islam campaign...Good for the Muslims and their mosque. These self-righteous Christians and their hate filled message is an embarrasment to right thinking Americans."

Haha. Don't let us get in the way of your hate Christianity campaign.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
"Objecting to this mosque is simply racism."

Wait, what race is Islam?

Persian, Arab, Pashtun, Baluch, Chinese, White, African?

Who's the racist here? The person who assumes Islam is a race.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Are they legally allowed to ? Yes, we have laws protecting religious rights.

So yes they should be allowed to open a muslim community center.

BUT the real question is the date they plan on commemorating it. When is that you may ask? Well the intended opening date from the original May 5 meeting was...

*drumroll*

9/11/2011

Wanting to improve relations doesn't start with commemorating a muslim facility 500 feet away from an act of extremist muslim terrorism, ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE INCIDENT, that destroyed an iconic western location and killed nearly 3,000 people, of whom many still have family that live near the area. That would be like if the US opened an American foundation for whatever in the middle of Hiroshima.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It should also be noted that the community board only decides if they are financially and legally allowed to build here as well as zoning permits. They do not issue work permits to actually destroy the old Coat Factory, nor build a new building.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tetrahedron

I will agree. Racism was perhaps the wrong word to use. Hopefully you'll forgive my incorrect use of the word, and accept the meaning I was trying to convey. Let's not get caught up in semantics when the point is so easily accessible. Perhaps 'ethnocentric' would have been better. While I will offer that Caucasians may attend this mosque, it will likely be predominantly those of African or Middle Eastern lineage that will be attending.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetrahedron
"Objecting to this mosque is simply racism."

Wait, what race is Islam?

Persian, Arab, Pashtun, Baluch, Chinese, White, African?

Who's the racist here? The person who assumes Islam is a race.

I suppose the Muslims that hijacked the planes and slammed them into two building killing everyone on board including the thousands of people that where trapped in the building along with children in a daycare unit! did not have any racism going on though...but that's ok though right?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well, in all honesty there is one thing that has not been considered.

This place will NEVER be built.

Why do you ask?

People build buildings,they don't just pop out of the ground,you know.

Who in their right mind would bid for the contract to build this?

The unions control the building trades.

No company will sell them the materials because no one would deliver them.

Everything done in NYC is done because others control it not the government.

It will NEVER be built.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

Who in their right mind would bid for the contract to build this?

Actually, for better or for worse, pretty much everybody.

I got two contractor friends who have laid off most of their workers and are just begging for jobs ... they have businesses to run and families to feed and don't have the luxury of moral objections ... assuming that they have any. Heck they'd probably underbid just to keep their businesses afloat. With the state the economy and the building industry over the last couple of years I'm afraid that assuming that no one will take the job on principle is imho erroneous.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It bothers me that New Yorkers would take a passive stance about this. I understand that somebody out there may have a legal right to build a mosque at ground zero but what I don't understand is why New Yorkers would stand for it. It reeks of disrespect, and looks like they are rubbing New York's nose in it.

People say we shouldn't blame Islam/Muslims for 9/11, but they owned it and site jihad as a means to an end... I view it as a threat. When a religion turn violent, it crosses the line.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by prophecywatcher

Because a bunch of power-hungry zealots on a committee get to do what THEY want -- obviously ignoring what the public feels is the right choice in this matter.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetrahedron
Real estate in lower Manhattan is not exactly cheap. Pull back the curtain and I'd suspect some Saudi money behind this. Whether or not you believe the official story of 9/11, I think one might come to the conclusion that this would become a pilgrimage site for radical Muslims believing that 19 Hijackers took down the towers.
/foreign_mosque_money_OSkAG6ucmWz6yPAJU61cTO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=
Absolutely disgusting.

Furthermore, I'd bet this goes up before any of the new towers.

Ughh. [spit]

OH yes it was financed with foreign money, check it out, this is the Islamic world giving us the ole one finger salute, IMHO.

www.nypost.com...

[edit on 013131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
It bothers me that New Yorkers would take a passive stance about this. I understand that somebody out there may have a legal right to build a mosque at ground zero but what I don't understand is why New Yorkers would stand for it. It reeks of disrespect, and looks like they are rubbing New York's nose in it.

People say we shouldn't blame Islam/Muslims for 9/11, but they owned it and site jihad as a means to an end... I view it as a threat. When a religion turn violent, it crosses the line.

I could see it if maybe if various open fair trials in open court painted a crystal clear picture of how 9/11 happened and who was responsible.. like numerous co-conspirator Muslims testifying under oath to being on a jihad, then found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of "terrorism" on 9/11, thus earning the "terrorist" title.

.. thus far the govt has only made doubtful allegations about 9/11, un-tested by any open fair process leaving plenty of doubt.. it's an unsolved crime with alleged terrorist muslims.. in America even they're innocent until proven guilty.

Besides bush lied through his teeth about WMDs, torture and lots of other things, his neo-clown admins war on terror & 9/11 stories deserve no credibility... build a mosque, strip club, pet cemetery, house of ill repute, or liquor store.. who cares.. it won't cause anyone physical pain and 99.99%+ of the nation will be completely unaffected.

People concerned the US will get laughed at are too late, republicans & democrats are the laughing stalk of the world.. embarrassing pompous arrogant war mongering failures with the hypocritical temerity to lecture other nations.. like a never ending nightmare.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join