It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian support for sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Reuters

(Reuters) - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday Russia's support for new U.N. sanctions against Iran was unacceptable and called on President Dmitry Medvedev to rethink his support for the U.S.-led move.

Iran was snubbed by Russia and China last week when, just hours after it offered to ship some of its enriched uranium abroad, Washington announced that all five members of the U.N. Security Council backed a new sanctions draft.

In an unusually strong criticism of the Russian government, Ahmadinejad used a televised outdoor speech to directly address Medvedev who, he said, had bowed to U.S. pressure to support the squeeze on Iran over its nuclear program.

"If I were the Russian president, when making decisions about subjects related to a great nation (Iran) ... I would act more cautiously, I would think more," Ahmadinejad said.

"The Iranian nation doesn't know: are they (the Russians) our friends and neighbors? Are they with us or are they looking for something else?"

He said Russia should not support countries which had "shown animosity to us for 30 years," referring to the United States, which has led the global push for new sanctions.

"This is not acceptable for the Iranian nation. I hope they (Russia) will pay attention and take corrective action," he said.

"I am hopeful that Russian leaders and authorities will pay attention to these friendly words and take corrective action and not let the Iranian nation consider them among the ranks of its historic enemies."

Regardless of what we think about the incoming sanctions on Iran, it looks like they are feeling a little pressure.

I do think I would be talking a little kinder to one of the few friends I had left in this world though, even though that is one of convenience.

(I hope I used the external source function correctly)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The only way i can explain this is Russia must had been promised some Iranian land and oil if they let america go in.

Shame on Russia i thought they were above such actions but looks like i was wrong.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Total media BS!!! - Russia is not backing hard UN sanctions, and not once their official statement has backed this Hillarious media lie... Read Russians to get Russian news!

Russia rejects Iran's claims it favors U.S. on nuclear issue

Russia's position on Tehran's nuclear program is neither pro-American, nor pro-Iranian, presidential aide Sergei Prikhodko said on Wednesday.

The statement comes after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in a televised interview earlier in the day that Russia's support for UN sanctions against Tehran was "not acceptable to the Iranian nation."

"I hope [Russia] will pay attention and take corrective action," the Ynetnews service quoted him as saying.

Prikhodko rejected any suggestion that Moscow favored one side or the other, declaring that "Russia is unfailingly guided by its long-term government interests."

"Our position is specifically Russian, it reflects the interests of all Russia's people, and therefore can be neither pro-American nor pro-Iranian," he said.

He added that "any unpredictability, any political extremism" as well as "inconsistency in making decisions of worldwide concern" are unacceptable for Russia.

International pressure on Iran increased in early February when Tehran announced it had started to enrich uranium to 20% in lieu of an agreement on an exchange that would provide it with fuel for a research reactor.

en.rian.ru...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

Why would you say "shame on Russia?" Is it your position that war with Iran is preferable to sanctions?

I say, "Thank you Russia & China and it's about time!"

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Thanks JanusFIN. I had not made it to any of the Russian sites yet to see whether a response had been given to Ahmadinejad's statements or not.

I am curious though. If the Russians have not supported the sanctions the US is saying they have, then why have they not publicly denied the claims? I do realize the deal with Iran for the S-300's were excluded from this, but there must be more to this.

top topics

join