It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Set To Send 1,200 Troops To US-Mexico B

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Obama Set To Send 1,200 Troops To US-Mexico Border

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — Under pressure to take action, President Barack Obama on Tuesday ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to boost security along the U.S.-Mexico border, pre-empting Republican efforts to force a congressional vote to send the troops.

Obama will also request $500 million for border protection and law enforcement activities, according to lawmakers and administration officials.

The president's action comes as chances for comprehensive immigration reform, Obama's long-stated goal, look increasingly dim in this election year. Obama has been all but compelled to do something since
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/26/2010 by mikelee]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I can applaud this action because its something we have needed to do for years. Its time to secure our borders from illegals once and for all. I have applauded anything Obama has done up to this but for sure, he has my support on this action. In addition a big thanks goes out to the state of Arizona for raising the nation's awareness to this issue and I'm glad to read too, that 18 other states are now in the process of developing legislation modeled after the Arizona law. Its time to secure America and it starts at the borders!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/26/2010 by mikelee]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
i knew he was all talk

lower the budget my @ss

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

The National Guard troops will work on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support, analysis and training, and support efforts to block drug trafficking. They will temporarily supplement Border Patrol agents until Customs and Border Protection can recruit and train additional officers and agents to serve on the border,

So wait, are these 1200 just desk jobs, or are they patrolling as well?

It says they are temporarily supplementing Border Patrol agents, but do Border Patrol agents do these desk jobs as well, or is this saying that some of these troops ARE indeed patrolling?

Desk jobs aren't going to do a damn thing. Until we have a sophisticated, high tech system in place, Border Security can only be done with boots on the ground, not asses in seats.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join