It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First human 'infected with computer virus'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Dr Mark Gasson of Reading University says he is the first man in the world to become infected with a computer virus.
Dr Gasson contaminated a computer chip which was then inserted into his hand , the chip , a type of RFID , enables him to pass through security doors and activate his mobile phone .
In the trial, Dr Gasson showed that the chip was able to pass on the computer virus to external control systems.

"With the benefits of this type of technology come risks. We may improve ourselves in some way but much like the improvements with other technologies, mobile phones for example, they become vulnerable to risks, such as security problems and computer viruses."

Professor Rafael Capurro of the Steinbeis-Transfer-Institute of Information Ethics in Germany told BBC News that the research was "interesting". "If someone can get online access to your implant, it could be serious," he said.

Science fiction is indeed becoming science fact .
"We are the Borg.........resistance is futile "

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 26-5-2010 by gortex]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Will this mean we have to install AVG in order to get healed..lol..I can just see it now..wow

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think this might be "good" science, the guy's done much research in this field, he's a bit of a local celebrity. I've seen a few reports that have murmured dissent about him going too far with his research (I disagree), yet this latest "test" has gone to show the potential for these things to cause problems.

I don't think AVG would be much use - see my signature.

Windows -

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
To say that "he" was infected with a computer virus is erroneous. The RFID chip merely resides within him and is not integrated into him as a functioning interactive unit. It's not as if the virus or programming within the chip can move into or effect any other part of his biology. But I'm just nitpicking, so whatever.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I think the opposite may have happened with my home laptop.

If I give it a hot bath and chuck a brandy on it will it get any quicker ?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by chunder

Yes.

Yes it will.

But only if it is brandy on the rocks, else it will overheat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I find this to be a very substantial and interesting bit of research. There's been a lot of talk lately about the pros and cons of these devices, but they will be so much more advanced in another 15 years.
He mentions that the chips have the capacity, if infected with a virus, to also transmit that virus and other chips, and they will catch it. So now as well as synthetic life we can carry synthetic virus'.

Do I laugh or cry?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I was just reading this on BBC website and came over to ATS to see if it was on yet.

Interesting - kind of like the invisible man - makes you invisible to security, allows you to pass through doors. Also can be used to infect outside systems. The potential (both good and bad) of this is tremendous and worth discussing.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by YarlanZey

And we thought James Bond was cool?? But at least he didnt have to go to PC Tech to get cured

Where do we sign up for this..I would really like to wreak havoc on a couple people I know

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'd just like to get it on record about my theory. One day, Microsoft will come out with "Braindows" a chip directly implanted into the brain that will make man and computer one. Imagine, doing a web search right in your mind. Fantastic! Or being able to calculate chess positions and beat anyone without the chip. I for one, would be first in line.

In the words of Agent Smith, "It's evolution, Morpheus. This is our world, our time."

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AABacon
I'd just like to get it on record about my theory. One day, Microsoft will come out with "Braindows" a chip directly implanted into the brain that will make man and computer one. Imagine, doing a web search right in your mind. Fantastic! Or being able to calculate chess positions and beat anyone without the chip. I for one, would be first in line.

In the words of Agent Smith, "It's evolution, Morpheus. This is our world, our time."

It goes even farther than that. As soon as they figure out how to wire up computer chips to the brain, you essentially get the "best of both worlds" in terms of what the human brain can do vs. what a computer can do. For example complex problems are often best solved via a human brain that has been programming itself with a lifetime of personal experience since birth. But anything involving repetitive number crunching or calculating (like your chess moves) is better done by a fast computer. If a human being could do both, he would be very, very powerful.

In addition, this enables real, bona-fide telepathy. Brain-to-chip interface plus chip-to-chip wireless network equals telepathy.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
According to U.S. Army Colonel Philip J. Corso's manuscript, it's already been done..many years ago.
His entire manuscript is available on PDF form here, and well worth the read..you have to register to download it.

They have had super humans for long before most of us have even been born.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm sorry but on this issue I am a Luddite , the implications for mixing Human biology and micro tech are toooo scary , chip implants in the brain could give over control of the mind to those who write the the code , a governments dream come true .
As I said in the OP , We are the Borg...resistance is futile , who wants to be like the Borg ?
You may think that is an extreme example but when governments get involved in new technology they tend to take things to the extreme without a thought for the welfare of the general public

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Interesting. Now if this were done by people, nefarious in nature, what are the ramifications?

reply to post by chunder

Possibly. But more likely it will become quite amorous.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
That means we're just one step closer to Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, where everyone has a cyberbrain implanted into them, and any hacker that can get past your firewalls can hack any part of your body or implement a virus. We're all DOOMED, I tell you, DOOOOOOMED.

Or maybe not.

Good show btw, you should check it out

new topics

top topics

join