It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Marie Antoinette could fit into this crowd without missing a beat"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Howdy folks! Thought you all would be happy to learn exactly how your hard-earned taxpayer bailout dollars are working these days.

I find it especially heartening that, according to the article below, "a review of the 29 largest publicly traded financial companies that received federal aid found that nearly one in three increased fringe benefits for their chief executives."

Some of the nation's biggest financial firms have increased the perks and benefits they pay their chief executives, despite the glaring spotlight from a public fed up with handsome bonuses at bailed-out Wall Street banks.

The lavish fringe benefits included country club dues, chauffeured drivers, personal financial planning services, home security systems and parking....

"Marie Antoinette could fit into this crowd without missing a beat," said Nell Minow, co-founder of the Corporate Library, which found in recent studies of several thousand U.S. companies that more chief executives received club memberships than a year earlier, and companies paid more to cover executives' personal use of corporate planes. "Many people would think the solution would be not to be so provocative of unrest and unhappiness, but no, they're saying, 'Go ahead and do that, just build bigger walls around your house.' "

More at source:
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I have been saying that since 2008. They don't understand that they don't understand. A few months ago there was a report stating that some of the financial co's CEO's were arming themselves out of fear. I had hoped that signaled a change and maybe they were on the verge of understanding not only the anger of the masses, but also understanding, as a whole, the masses. Unfortunately it looks like a oppurtunity to understand each other has passed.

I think the economic class difference creates more barriers to understanding than race or nationality. In my mind economic status is second only to religion in creating misunderstandings and when a gifted speaker links those two things together in front of a desparit populace, very bad things happen.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacksmoke
... A few months ago there was a report stating that some of the financial co's CEO's were arming themselves out of fear....

While at the same time supporting politicians who wish to disarm the public in general.

I just had to add that in there

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The main difference is that Americans are much less likely to throw the same party Marie Antoinette received.

For some reason, our tolerance for the bad behavior of politicians and corporations and their executives seems endless.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

As long we have food, shelter and the kids are relatively safe, why rock the boat? thats one reason. Another is that that we are really busy, most Americans work more that 40 hrs a week. We, as a whole, are shallow, self-serving narcissits and would sell their mother to be a part of the elite circle (mom wouldn't mind either so her baby can succeed).

From a diffeent angle, the first amendment has taught our leader to be pateint/ingore us. The American attention span is about as long as a over-caffeinated ferret. the police also, are used to protests and demonstrations. The thought is very similar to ignoring a toddler throwing a tantrum. Ignore and let them cry themselves to sleep. They will feel different tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

join