It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Fungus Strain Killing People and Animals in Northwest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Cryptcoccus gattii fungus, native to Papua New Guinea,
Australia and parts of South America, is now spreading airborne in Oregon
and has killed six of twenty-one infected people, or about 25%. Currently,
there is no vaccination or other preventative measure available
for this new lethal fungus. Symptoms of severe cough and shortness
of breath do not develop until months after exposure. The fungus has
also infected domestic and wild animals. Go here to read more about news.nationalgeographic.com... or here but the report is not ready www.earthfiles.com...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
That's weird. It seems as if Australia and Papua New Guinea have lived for a while with it so it must not be as propagandist susceptible as swine flu was. (Wonder what happened to H1n1.

Let's hope theres not strong airflow going south. I'm in the northern valley of California.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Interesting.

In the 1990s, we were studying this organism for virulence, and worked out which structures made it deadly.

Phospholipase Activity in Cryptococcus neoformans: A New Virulence Factor?

Now a new strain of it is spreading which has increased virulence ...

New Strain of Virulent Airborne Fungi, Unique to Oregon, Is Set to Spread

It's just a repeat of what happened with Swine Flu.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ddarkangle2bad

HI! There is also a fungus problem along with bacterial and parisitcic infection around the area of New England, in birds and most recently bats. They announced last year on tv and radio, anyone with bats in attics or homes are to call animal control so they can retrieve and study. Then of course you hear absolutely nothing on the subject! Hard to find healthy squirrels in this area also.Thanks, emelie

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
New Fungus Strain Killing People and Animals in Northwest report is now out......................................................................................................May 27, 2010 Durham, North Carolina - Recently Web MD and other internet medical sites have featured articles with headlines such as, “About 10 People Have Reportedly Died in Northwestern U.S. After Infection with C. Gatti. [sic]” Cryptococcus gattii is a soil and plant fungus species usually found in South America, Australia, Africa and New Guinea. That particular fungus was not discovered in North America before 1999 when clinicians on the island of Vancouver, B. C., Canada, in the southeastern cities of Victoria and Nanaimo, confirmed emergency room patients with pneumonia and meningitis were infected with C. gattii fungus.

About the same time, veterinarians in the region were also treating dogs, cats and other animals with breathing problems that turned out also to be from C. gattii fungus infections. Then in January 2006, the first American case of human C. gattii fungus infection was confirmed in a patient who lived in the San Juan Islands of Puget Sound, Washington. Canada has now reported a total of 220 patients and 19 deaths attributed to the C. gattii fungus. That's a 10% death rate. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has identified 50 cases in Washington State, Oregon and Idaho with 10 deaths. That's a 20% death rate.

So the combined number of Canadian and U. S. cases of C. gattii fungus infection is now 270 cases with 29 deaths in a decade. Recently I talked with the head of a Duke University Medical Center research team that has gone to the Vancouver and northwestern United States to study the soil, plants and trees in which Cryptococcus gattii fungi now seem to be thriving and spreading. He is Joseph Heitman, M. D. and Ph.D., Chair and Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology at the Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. I asked Dr. Heitman if he and his medical team were surprised to learn that the Southern Hemisphere fungi was making people and animals sick in the Northern Hemisphere climate of Vancouver, Washington State and Oregon.
Read the rest of the report at www.earthfiles.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I have always detested Eucalyptus. The wood is useless for building or burning. They make a tremendous (fungus laden) mess. WHY people ever brought them to the US is beyond me. Ron Bracewell planted them all over Stanford and we Pow-Wow under them (cough, cough).

God Bless Oz, but I hate Eucalyptus.

Plant Native plants, please.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

H1N1 will be back this fall, if it follows the same trend as its prior incarnation. The second wave of that one was the worst one.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Remember the Illuminati card game from 1995? The one that had the card of the twin towers attack, pentagon attack, and the oil spill card (among others)?

Here's the full set. cid-9f33f6e14912f497.skydrive.live.com...

Check out the card called, "The Oregon Crud". cid-9f33f6e14912f497.skydrive.live.com...

Maybe people are too self sufficient in this area and need to be made dependent.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcrash
Remember the Illuminati card game from 1995? The one that had the card of the twin towers attack, pentagon attack, and the oil spill card (among others)?

Here's the full set. cid-9f33f6e14912f497.skydrive.live.com...

Check out the card called, "The Oregon Crud". cid-9f33f6e14912f497.skydrive.live.com...

Maybe people are too self sufficient in this area and need to be made dependent. [/quote

Wait, what? Interesting find! I never knew a card game like that existed.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

Why does this link take me to the "Microsoft Live" site?

top topics

join