It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to do when "Top Kill" Fails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
IN the event "top kill" doesn't work, and any other attempts to fill the hole fail (nukes, robots, giant boulders, etc), we should definitely have a contingency plan to contain the oil spill within the Gulf of Mexico to protect the rest of the world.

I tried to use my best judgment based on water depth and linear distance when I was estimating where the land wall should be. Basically, trying to get the most work done with the least amount of rock and sand moved. Others can probably do this better... it is the idea of building a wall to seal off the Gulf of Mexico that is important.

We should also set up oil booms in the areas I have marked to keep the oil from spreading to other regions as much as possible until the wall is built.

Due to the obvious ineptitude of the repair and cleanup crews to solve this problem in a timely fashion, it is prudent to identify failure early and start taking steps to stop failure from becoming catastrophe. We should at least prevent the worst-case scenario - the contamination of the world's oceans. We just need to know when to swallow our pride and admit that we cannot fix this problem that BP caused.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
A wall from the bottom of the ocean floor to the top? Wouldn't that stop the natural process of the movement of the ocean - and then the backup, where would it go from there? But hey maybe its possible, great idea - we need some more feedback on this.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Nice idea, but what about the Gulf Stream? Cut that off, and... well....

Too bad there's no way to build am osmosis wall, let water thru, trap the oil, and pump it somewhere- trap the dispersant, and pump it somewhere, too (like mebbe DC- if we're lucky, we can disperse that oily bunch)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I would say that we all sit back and wait for the "oil hurricanes". That should make for an interesting summer.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Albastion
We should also set up oil booms in the areas I have marked to keep the oil from spreading to other regions as much as possible until the wall is built.

Booms won't work.
The majority of the oil is underwater.

Yes, I know oil floats, and I don't know why so much stays underwater, but that's the way it's working. What we see on the surface is only a small part of the problem.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The booms would be temporary. They would only be put in place to keep the oil from spreading to the rest of the oceans until construction the land wall is finished.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
DOn't worry, Kevin Costner has been called in to help. Or rather, is $26,000,000 vaccum cleaner has.

www.independent.co.uk...

Just like in the movies.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Looks like "top kill" has failed.

We are running out of options, if they are considering a nuke in the Gulf of Mexico now.

join