It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Earth Object to pass between Earth and Moon May 26th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
(2010 KV39) 26th May 2010 0 day(s) 0.0017 0.7 12 m - 27 m 10.42 km/s 37512 km/h

This Object is listed as 12 - 24 meters and is expected to pass within 0.7 Lunar Distances from the Earth. Shouldn't be any dangerous results, but I thought it was interesting because of the fair size and extremely close proximity! Why don't we hear more of this stuff on the MSM? INstead of Lohan's ankle monitor?

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Everyone knows MSM will not cover this as much because asteroids do not generate revenue like celebrities do!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
can't believe nobody here cares!!!!!

I'm gonna keep my eyes open!

nice find.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hmmm...interesting. Great Find! S&F.

I wonder what it is. Probably just a space rock, but none the less I'll be paying attention.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Of course, if the NEO was the size of Texas and was passing at .2 lunar distance, I don't think the MSM would touch the story, either — until after it passed, that is.

This has happened before, actually. In the 1990s — please correct me — a monstrosity the size of the state of Utah somehow managed to slip by near earth object observers and passed between the Earth and Moon. It wasn't spotted until several hours after it crossed the Earth's orbit, whereupon the news media laughingly reported it in passing as "a real close call (yuck yuck)"...

I mean, if a near miss such as that wasn't enough to stop every war on Earth and set us all in high gear developing NEO defensive technologies, what the hell is it going to take??

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
That's strange because the only one listed at spaceweather.com for tomorrow is 8.2 Lunar Distance away and is 245 m.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Very interesting - hadn't heard about this and I visit Spaceweather sites. Will check it out again and return here again for updates. Thanks for the thread!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Interesting, of course.

In the hazard department though, an asteroid of 12-24 metres diameter will cause almost no damage on the ground. It will most often break apart into very small fragments at high altitude.

Fragments can potentially reach the ground, but if you are wearing a decent helmet you should be okay

It would, however, put on a heck of a light show!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this

Here is another link from NASA.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
my explanation : MSN will not talk about it as it would make the masses to get interested in science. And this is dangerous as in time science develops CRITICAL THINKING . And critical thinking is the enemy of the establishment that control the MSN .

About the asteroid - the 0.7 LD is ok..

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Romanian]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Thanks Everyone. I put this up just before slipping off to sleep. I agree with everyone, 12-24 meters is pretty good sized, and would make a heck of a light show, but probably wouldn't cause major damage, and 0.7 LD is still a good enough distance to not cause concern, but you would think it would get a mention in the news? At least a spot on their tickers at the bottom of the screen?

Maybe everyone is right, and they don't want people interested in this stuff, and I am certain they don't want people checking out that RSOE EDIS site! That site has info that nobody reports on. Yesterday a Nuclear Reactor in Minnesota went into emergency shutdown. That wasn't on the news. Last summer a US Embassy in the South Pacific had an Anthrax attack, on RSOE, but never on the news!

The MSM in the US is very, very lackadaisical at best, and flat out negligent or falsified at worst! The internet, social networking sites, and bloggers have entirely replaced investigative journalism.
for us and
for the press!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Don't know if anyone tried this link and found it broken (strange as it was updated only 2 days ago) but I was able to locate a cached copy here:
click on Access a cached copy

I can't make heads or tails of this data, but perhaps someone with a little more know-how could translate it for us...Is the translation the reason the link was removed by ?

CDS

ETA: could not link directly to cached copy

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
May 28th 2010 at 12:30am I noticed an object at the 5 o'clock position about "one baby finger" (arm stretched out) from the moon. I got my binoculars out to have a closer look. This was not a "twinkling" object. It was orange and had a definite shadow on the side away from the moon. It was static. It remained in that exact same position until 2:36am when I observed it again and then went to bed. The next night, May 29th from 12:30am to 2:15am I took two separate looks again. The object was not there. Could this be the "near Earth" asteroid? It was supposed to pass on the 26th. Would it still be around on the 28th then disappear on the 29th? Would it follow the moon at the same distance relative to my position (Austin). Or is this something else? Did anyone else see this? Did anyone take a photo?

new topics

top topics

join