It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

No problem. Sorry for not being more clear.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by brilab45]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Chakotay

are you saying that teachers are not workers?!

No. I am saying that they are parasites. That is a fact, not an insult.

Parasites are necessary in Nature and Economics. In our bodies for example, they eat waste and produce B vitamins, without which we would die.

But if the parasites suck the host animal dead by multiplying without limit or increasing in appetite without restraint- or if they begin to secrete poison- then inevitably, lacking a new host, they die out with the host.

Teachers, artists, politicians, musicians and so-on can perform useful, symbiotic, parasitic tasks.

But what we are now witnessing is the death of the worldwide productive industrial-agricultural host.

Until we restore the health of that beast, the suckings will be meagre at best.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by brilab45

Ok thanks for clearing that up. As you can see, I am not a huge fan of Walmart and the way they treat their employees or pay their people, and have heard more than one horror story from "insiders".

[edit on 26-5-2010 by manta78]

Wal-mart has a habit now of working people as 'temps' and letting them think if they work hard enough that they'll get a permanent spot. Then they keep letting them go. Then, after they've worked a few different temp jobs, Wal-mart blackballs them and claims that they are job hoppers that wouldn't stay when they're the ones who refused to keep them in the first place.

I got sent through the ringer with them repeatedly. I worked for four different stores thinking I'd have a job. I thought this last one would finally keep me because the dept manager was giving me compliments on my work and I worked in grocery, so they had lots of hours available. Then, they still didn't keep me and blackballed me. I had perfect attendance. I even worked while I was sick, trying to make a good impression because I desparately needed the job, and it was for nothing.

Then, after I learned I had been blackballed, it was really devastating. I had gone to two different Wal-mart interviews after being cut loose from the last one I worked at. I was making good impression and was about to get a job offer when they pulled up my info on the computer and then practically threw me out of the store. So, I went to the last Wal-mart I worked at wanting to know what they had put in the computer about me. The manager went to the back and checked. When he come back out, he refused to tell me what they said about me, but he said flat out that they had never intended to keep me past temp. Well, up until my last day there they kept lying to me saying they were going to find a spot for me. I even renewed my lease thinking I'd have a job. Now my savings is getting wiped out because of their lies. I could have moved onto campus for cheaper rent had I known the truth, but by the time I learned they weren't going to keep me, the apartments were all gone and I had already signed my lease because they said they'd keep me if I did a good job. Their lies have so far cost me thousands. I'm going to have to break my lease and get back landlord reference now because of them. I haven't been able to find a job elsewhere because of all my disabilities. In all the 18 years since I first became eligible to work a job at the age of 16, Wal-mart has been the only place to hire and keep me past a day or two.

I'm about to get my master's degree in December. I have to deadbeat on my lease in order to pay tuition. I will not be able to really do anything with the degree due to my disabilities and the economy. I had kept going just to get the student loans to pay bills since I couldn't find employment and needed money.

When I worked at Wal-mart, I worked very hard. I treated the customers well. It was all for nothing. Every place I have put in an application for that has come close to giving me an opportunity has contacted Wal-mart for a reference and I have no idea what they are saying, but after they talk to Wal-mart they run me off their property and don't allow me back. Wal-mart is the only job reference I can really provide, so I'm really hosed. I did nothing wrong. I never had any write-ups. My dept managers complimented my work. But they're still saying horrible things about me after they had lied to me and led me on for all this time. It just isn't right to do that to someone.

Wal-mart treats the bulk of its employees very bad. I knew that going in I suppose, but I still tried to keep my nose clean and hang on to my job. I needed the job. I wish I had not believed their lies, but when three managers lie to your face saying they will find a spot for you, well I guess I wanted to believe them. I know for a fact I worked hard and gave it all I had.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Again, I was using an analogy. Of course, I feel like a heel right now. I'm sorry you went through what you did.

Please forgive.

If it makes you feel better, I'm dying. Wanna trade places?

Edited to add: I would love to work any job. Any job. But I can not.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by brilab45]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I don't take anything for granted.

That is why I work over 15 hours a day to stay at least 1 step ahead of the game. You must be kidding yourself if you think I got where I am now by bitching about a central bank owning me.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
2 words, global syncrinization.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Consider the fact that our GDP is $14 trillion. If you divide that between all the workers in this country, it comes out to something like $80k per worker.

But the average wage is much lower than that.

Which means there are many people producing a lot which aren't getting paid what they deserve.

And a very few people at the top getting paid what the workers at the bottom are earning.

It's an unjust, exploitative, abusive economy. And it's getting worse.

This can only continue so far, before the whole thing becomes so unstable that there will be a war over it.

"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." - Lord Acton

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by kozmo

I don't take anything for granted.

That is why I work over 15 hours a day to stay at least 1 step ahead of the game. You must be kidding yourself if you think I got where I am now by bitching about a central bank owning me.

All I will say is I hope you are heavily invested in the stock market and remain so. You might learn something.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wanderingwaldo

I don't learn, I give lessons.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 30_seconds

Well,I can tell you one thing you should do.

Stop submitting your resumes yourself and go to a employment search firm.

They have professionals that can review your resume and do job searches for you.

A large number of firms utilize these companies and they normally do not even post openings where you are looking.

You should look into employment with the government too.

The baby boomers are starting to retire and the government is still hiring even though the economy sucks for everyone else.

You may have to relocate with the situation you are in.

This is the web portal you should check out.USAJOBS

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

OP I understand your frustration and you have made a good argument why it may not be in my best interest to finish my bachelors degree...at least not be content with a mere BS anyway.

And although I'm not an economist, I think your reasoning is partially flawed. Our economic system is not as closed as you think, in my humble opinion. I don't know how much cash is out there floating around in the economic ether, but I'm reasonably certain that whatever the amount is, it does not all have its genesis in our central bank. Monies are exchanged into and out of economic systems on a global scale (think international trade) and undocumented businesses (think prostitution, drug trade, theft, etc.) though largely illegal inject legitimate money into the economy. I agree that times are hard, and you are under paid in my opinion. I just think that your original description of our economy, and the central bank's importance are over simplified.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
First and foremost there is no such thing as government money.

The money that comes from the government is from the taxation of private companies. Now I know what you are going to say, "well I work for the government and they tax me." I know, I worked for the government before as well. It is a diabolical way of recouping some of their "losses."

The fact is the private sector is hurting, and is hurting bad. Without money flowing through the private sector companies and into the hands of privately employed employees hands the government is falling short.

This, despite what you have heard, is not the fault of capitalism, although, admittedly, there is lulls in capitalistic systems. No, this is a misunderstanding of Keynes and his system that has been abused for decades by politicians who know nothing of how the market system works.

I will admit, Keynes may have been correct when he said that the market could use a jolt from time to time during periods of low output. The problem is that when that jolt comes from the government it is inherently tied to a debt that must be paid back to the debtors. Now we live in a complex financial system and I will spare you the finer points of currency, but I will put it in broad terms that will give you an idea of what is going on.

1. Money is nothing more than an IOU
From the time of its inception it was only meant to represent that I have done something for you, and right now, instead of giving me something in exchange you have given me an IOU that you will pay me back later

2. As the system became more complex those IOU were given to another party for goods or services, but that third party now held a responsibility to repay the original issuer of the IOU.

3. The system then became more complex, with the need for a secure place to hold such IOU until they were needed to purchase more goods and services.

Now this is where the bank came in.

The bank would loan out these IOUs so long as you paid them back. BUT... they weren't their IOUs to begin with. They had to make sure that not only were your IOUs paid back, but they also had to make sure that they had additional IOUs on hand incase someone didn't pay back the IOUs.

Now, with the full time task of managing everyone else's IOUs the bank was now providing a service to you which then required you to pay IOUs to them, which is fair since they were doing it, not you.

Now, lets circle back to where we began.

The individual does something or gives something for somebody else and receives a temporary IOU. The government then takes some of those IOUs in which they use to get the issuer of said IOUs to do work for them. But they can't build what they want to because they don't have enough IOUs. SO... they go to a bank who does have IOUs. The bank says "we only have so many people here who are putting IOUs into our bank and we already have obligations to those who do so we cant give you any IOUs, sorry."

So now the government has these plans(a way to use your IOUs, justified in some circumstances, and not in others), and they tell everybody they have these jobs(that don't actually exist) but we don't have the funding(the horrible banks wont give us any more of your IOUs).

This is why the banks won't loan the government money. This is why the banks won't loan private businesses and individuals money. It's not their money to loan!!!

It's your money! It's my money!

And I for sure wouldn't give someone an IOU for something I knew they would Never repay me. That could mean the starvation or freezing of my family if I was waiting for food to feed them or lumber to build a home.

Would you want someone else to hand out your IOUs and do that to you and your family? Even if it was a government who did not have the assets or support?

Before you start condemning the banks or capitalism we should look at the cause.

FACT: If my pay is less then I can spend less
FACT: If my pay is less the government gets less

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I'm not sure if you are really serious about finding a job, or, if through your thread, you are actually making a case regarding certain employment sectors, poltics, etc. vis-a-vis the current/future economic situation(s).

If you are only looking for summer work as a supplemental income to your teacher's salary, I sincerely hope that you have found something by now

However, it saddens me to hear of stories like yours in general. And, while you have left out many specifics in describing the wheres, whys, and hows of your situation, I think you may have to come to a "crossroads" in your career path.

I believe that if you are really passionate about teaching, and are 100% committed to that endeavor, but want to make a decent living, you must go complete at least a M.S. if not a Ph.D. in the field(s) you are inspired in. If may require lots of *extra long* days of work and school (unless you are fortunate enough to get assistantships/fellowhips or the like) but it will be worth it in the long run as I know plenty of tenured technical faculty who teach at the university, and complete independent (or corporate
:@@
research and easily clear over US $150+K/annually.

However, if you just somehow "fell" into K-12 teaching, and are now disillusioned (again I'm working on looking at limited data here
) with the profession, please be aware that, though you may be required to relocate, there are quite a few jobs for biochem graduates in the pharmaceuticals, food, and "new energies" as I write...

Good Luck to you-

SJ

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ok...this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion here...but you already have a job...why try to take another job away from someone else?

You are complaining about how hard it is to get a SUMMER part time job...when you already have a full time career that does pay your bills...but not as much as you would like. But you are willing to take a job away from someone else who may have NO JOB...just so you don't have to eat spagetti all the time (which some people would love to eat ANYTHING every day). The reason you probably aren't getting hired is because you are only looking for summer employment...and people don't want to hire someone they know is going to quit in 3 months.

I think you should be happy with what you have.

And for the people saying a bachelors doesn't cut it anymore...please...you must be stuck in the corporate game talking like that. Of course in the corporate game a BS isn't going to be enough...because in the corporate game people like to feel like they are important...so they get a Masters and still probably know nothing. In the corporate game, to get ahead you need three things...1) pieces of paper that show you have paid a college money. 2) A willingness to kiss but. 3) A drive to feel like a title makes you important and successful. Masters degrees are a joke...basically a piece of paper that says "You have paid a college money"...that's it...there is no way to NOT get a masters degree if you have paid the money out. I have known many people who have gotten their masters degrees...they are complete jokes...more so than bachelors degrees. I won't get a masters degree...it is pointless in my situation...I left the corporate game a few years ago and couldn't be happier being out of that world where idiots rule was the best choice I have made...both financially and personally. So those of you saying a BS isn't enough...keep playing that game...maybe someday you will have that cool title in your job that will make you feel important.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Pieces of paper are a big joke.

Unfortunately, the job market is a big joke as well.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Pieces of paper are a big joke.

Unfortunately, the job market is a big joke as well.

LOL, that's why they call the "papers" Bull#e, More#e, and PHull of #e

I'm not sayin' that degrees are for everyone...but the OP wants to *teach* and make more money as well. You do have to jump through the proverbial "S" hoops to get along that particular job market.

SJ

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I guess with my pieces of paper I am stuck in the corporate game of a *state* university?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Yeah, no doubt.

I have to say the OP knew what he was signing up for anyway when he started. No use complaining now.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I understand the OP and acknowledge that monetary control is one of the reasons - one of the causes of all this.

That said, I also acknowledge that people are STILL employing, there are plenty of jobs available. Just go to JustJobs.com or other engine like Indeed and you will see that there are a *lot* of jobs around. No need to blame illegals either, because these are not the kind of jobs that undocumented workers could just apply to.

Being in the HR field - and working as a computer programmer, it is my understanding that, in a lot of cases, there is a shortage of qualified people. Sometimes, a company will post a certain job position for several months, unable to find a good candidate. Some offer referral bonuses - one recruiter offered me a thousand dollars just to refer them to a good candidate (that would be hired).

So, I don't know about other fields, but this is the impression that I get... that companies are asking more and more in terms of quality from their employees (which is not a bad thing) and prospective employees are having less and less to offer, often failing short in hiring processes. Anyone who works for any company that has a demand for highly skilled professionals will attest to that, that it is *NOT EASY* to find good people - and that's why there are companies whose sole work is to find good people to fill in those positions.

So, yeah, if you are an American and you claim that the illegal immigrants are taking all the jobs - whose fault is it ? If some mexican is as qualified as you to do some work and he charges less than you... whose fault is it ? Perhaps it is time to leave the backbreaking jobs to the mexicans and go study something else to get a better job ?

Today we have the biggest library in the history of human kind right here in our fingertips, with pretty much all the knowledge anyone would ever need to perform pretty much any task, so there is really no excuse for not being able to better yourself and your skills, not only in your professional area, but pretty much any other one.

All I know in my area (computer programming) I learned from reading internet material, as well as books, and I still do to this day. I usually read two to three books every month on various subjects related to computer programming (as well as an untold number of online tutorials and papers and articles) and I must say I've never had any problems finding jobs.

It's just a crazy field where you absolutely must be up-to-date with a lot of things that change very quickly in an exponential fashion... and I love it. I'm yet to see a good programmer stay jobless for more than a month (unless he wants to, or is very picky).

Anyways, this is not directly intended to the OP, just a general advice to everyone. You are always your best investment and in this world you are worth as much as what you know and can do.

Next time you claim there are no jobs, or it is hard to get a job, remember that there are literally millions of job posts available on the internet alone... and that maybe, just maybe, it's a problem with you, not with the world or the hiring companies... which is great, because it means it is in your power to change it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
One of the hardest lessons in life to learn is "No one gives a fig about losers" and I say no one relevent ie Employers.
Never ever present you as a loser.
Iama humanitarian but let me tell you whining is a turn off.
I whined and bitched for almost two years because of an injustice, but only you can pull yourself up.
And pulling up depends on YOU , no one else.
Cant get enough money as a teacher?
Drive a taxi one night a week, get a security guard license.
Doing it tough is sleeping in a car with your family for months, whilst your wife is crying in th eback seat.
Its all up to you dont ask others to care or else you will be as sad as I was.
Its all down to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join