It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea on alert as N. Korean subs disappear in East Sea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

S. Korea on alert as N. Korean subs disappear in East Sea

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

South Korea's military was tracking four North Korean submarines which disappeared from their east coast base after conducting naval training in the East Sea earlier this week, a military official in Seoul said Wednesday.

Locations of the North's four 300-ton-class submarines have been unknown for two days, the military official said, noting, "We are tracking the four submarines by mobilizing all naval capabilities in the East Sea."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Those submarines are of the Sang-O class, they are tiny...only 300 tons displacement.

They are used for infiltration of special forces, mine laying, torpedo attack or reconnaissance... it depends on the model/mission...

This could be BIG NEWS.

In their latest statements, North Korea threatenned to try to take over the disputed islands with the South... the Baengnyeong island. They could try to take it over...by infiltrating special forces there, who knows.

That or infiltrating Seoul.

Or nothing will happen...and considering their previous history, nothing will happen.

But since most military analysts say that the Kim Jong Il regime need more provocations to keep his family in power, it wouldn't surprise me if they do something stupid again.

If they are that crazy, they could do a Pearl Harbor on SKorea navy...

Then the final decision will be on the South Korea end... follow the new military doctrine or your political career is dead.

EDIT : If those subs are found in SKorean waters, THEY ARE GONNA BE SUNK according to the new military doctrine... AND THAT WOULD PROBABLY START A WAR.

EDIT 2 : My guess is that this type of submarine is the same type that sunk the SKorean ship... and that Kim Jong Il probably thinks they can't be detected... which might push him to do something crazy.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Here's hoping nothing happens from this.

Could simply be a response of the US & SK drills planned, hopefully nothing more.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Great find, let's hope South korea, has a great find as well, and sniff's out these submersible undesireables....S & F's

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Maybe the South should threaten to prempitively strike the North if they dont have the subs surface.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by StraightMassa

, it just might work

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Can't really hurt now can it?

It is just a matter of time until they drop the beast on each other.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Yeah.... and losing all credibility they have by being warmongers?

I don't think so.

North Korea might be crazy enough to send those subs near the US shore to bomb California/infiltrate special ops on the US west coast...

That or put a nuke in a sub, put the sub in a busy port, blow it up...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

That last line, took away my smile.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

How could you call the South warmongers? The North blew up their ship. They are the warmongers and now it is time to met out their punishment.

Those subs are tiny. Do you really think they could hold enough supplies to make it to Cali. Plus, if North Korea wants to be wiped off the map then they should go ahead and pull up to Cali and do the dew.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Subs don't do anybody any good tied up at the base - it's just prudent to run them out into open waters with the current tension.

That said, KJI is a strategic & tactical retard. No doubt he'll get caught in SK waters which will spark something.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Here we go! Every day it's getting worse, how much longer can both sides refrain from aggression....

Heard this on BBC half an hour ago from their Seoul correspondant, but couldn't find the link. Thanks for finding it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
great find, in a few days we may look at this thread as a first glimpse of the spark that set off the explosion, or it could just play out to be nothing but chest puffing... as of now its just a cat in a box.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Vicious Jones]

link   
I'm afraid that all these events happening in such close succession is an indicator of Kim's willingness to go all the way. If they truly wanted more food or attention, why would they go out of their way to violate the trade agreements, or mobilize submarines in an obvious tactical maneuver.

Have things ever gone this far before?

link   

How could you call the South warmongers?

They are NOT warmongers, that's my point. That's why they have the legitimacy right now. If they do that kind of move, people will think they want a war at any cost. Let the North attack you first...in a big way...

Pre-emptive war is a BS concept that was invented by Hitler and taken back by the Bush administration.

Almost no one else want to take that concept because it is flawed.

Those subs are tiny. Do you really think they could hold enough supplies to make it to Cali. Plus, if North Korea wants to be wiped off the map then they should go ahead and pull up to Cali and do the dew.

Those subs have a range of 2800km... so they wouldn't make it to California, probably not even Pearl Harbor... but can they make it to Guam or Japan? Certainly.

After all, the Japanese are the ``mortal enemy`` of a lot of Koreans because of the past. You blow up a nuke near a japanese nuclear reactor... and you cause some serious damage... Or what about exploding a nuke in Tokyo's port?

IMO they will just place those subs there, and if they are attacked, then they are gonna do it.

EDIT : What would be funny is if those North Korean subs would mistake a South Korean or a US sub for a Chinese sub and sink one. That would be HILARIOUS.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Did those Chinese submarines going for a swim near Japan just recently, ever get found? While the Chinese seem to be a little non-committal re pressuring NK, at least according to MSM reports, I for one would feel a lot easier if the Chinese were maintaining their fleet as a preventative measure against any NK rashness. On the other hand, given the situation in the Middle East at the moment, and the US apparent commitment to that arena as well as in Afghanistan, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some sort of offensive against Taiwan brewing in the near future. It may well be that China really doesn't give a toss about the Koreas other than a diversion to keep the US busy, while they move to their own agenda re Taiwan.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Wow you are just making up stuff to be afraid of. Lil Kim should hire you to plan his strategy. Park a sub by a japanese nuke plant. That is genius.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Easy now, next thing you know someone will start a thread with that title, it is possible, and would be earthshaking no doubt, but i've got friends in Japan....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by StraightMassa

Wow you are just making up stuff to be afraid of. Lil Kim should hire you to plan his strategy. Park a sub by a japanese nuke plant. That is genius.

No I'm just saying what military analysts said they would do if they wanted to do the most damage with the weapons they have.

IMO North Korea is way more likely to nuke Japan than South Korea.

And I don't want that to happen, I love Japan and South Korea.

And note that I said that THEY WON'T DO IT unless North Korea mainland is attacked first...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So they are going to take that little baby nuke that they created that only half works and they are going to put it next to japan, because they are dying for us to nuke them with one of our real nukes?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by StraightMassa]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join