It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning Inside of a WaterSpout..Unbelievable Picture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by super genius
looks liek pohotoshop
second line

LOL perfect example of jumping to the "Its got to be fake/photoshop/fraud" excuse with no knowledge, understanding or proof.

Remember this post next time somebody cries photoshop about other phenomena.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

that can't be normal; somekind of wormhole or portal, I bet. Question is, was it coming or going?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by fizzy1
Personally i think it is photoshopped.

I really think this is bogus and a hoax.

Just looks and has a feel of being photoshopped.

So again i say fake. Sorry but just my opinion and my final one at that.

Jesus Christ, man! The guy is a professional photographer. He wouldn't just photoshop or fake a random photo among literally hundreds of other photos. Skepticism is great, but you gotta look at the context. This isn't a random photo posted by a nobody from ATS.

However, it is possible the picture is not what he thinks. It could be an accidental camera effect. Whatever the case, I don't believe for one minute the photographer is lying. He genuinely believes his photo is a picture of lighting inside a waterspout.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
People will do anything to get the old friend counter flying on facebook.

That site should be banned.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

generally you can tell if it is photoshopped. But as an avid user of photoshop I can say this is genuine.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does it look like a Plasma Arc???????

Have a look at this I looked up on youtube, from 33 seconds to 38 seconds, and it looks quite similar........

www.youtube.com...

Sorry, not sure how to linky link, but yeah..........

[edit on 26-5-2010 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

so a photographer, who is your friend on Fakebook can't photoshop? why because he's a photographer? hahaha

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Amazing Pics

I have to agree that it's just camera blur. Especially because he was "unaware of the waterspout" until he examined the pictures.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

edited to add the following: There is a very visible pole of somekind in the background behind the so called funnel of the waterspout. Also part of a tree is visible behind the cloud formation so i again claim fake because this is obviously over land. water spouts do not form over land. There would be visible signs of the water spout from an earlier stage in its cycle of the ocean surface being swirled around and water being kicked up and waves formed. I am linking thks article i found as well as a snippet from the article.

There can easily be a lake on the other side. When I was living in Reno, Nevada I saw a water spout over a very small lake. The lake was no deeper then 15-20 deep. These are amazing...

waterspouts

[edit on 25-5-2010 by fizzy1]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by fizzy1]

[edit on 10/15/2009 by Key2life]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

People will do anything to get the old friend counter flying on facebook.

That site should be banned.

That's real justice right there. Real freedom for the world! Ban a site that millions enjoy and use to reconnect with old friends from decades ago. That'll show em.

On topic:
The picture may not be what he thinks, but he is not lying. He has tons of photos proving he is a professional photographer...

Unless this whole thing is an advert scheme to use the interest of ATS members in such weirdness to gain a bunch of online publicity in his photography.

That is actually possible.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well I'll accept it as genuine, but this is no water spout.

Whatever it is it is really cool.

I have seen plenty of water spouts in my day and every one of them has water spray on the bottom that comes up.

Amazing photo for sure.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It looks to me like shutter blur. The camera looks to have panned to the left as the boat moved keeping the foreground in focus blurring the strike. The initial strike on the left side of the "spout" and return strokes forming the dimmer on the right.

I lack the ability to match up the contours of the "spout" on its left and right sides but if I could it would show what I am saying. It would have to be a perfectly symmetrical spout, which would be the real amazing thing if it were.

Still a cool picture but its not a water spout.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Tunatarian

impossible shouldnt be a word in human language ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE yes the 2nd pic looks kinda fake but even with the water particles from the water spout wuld produce enuf light for the camera to be able 2 take the pic. just remember UR A HUMAN ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IN THESE DAYS OF NOW INSTEAD OF THE DAYS OF THE PAST

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by earth2

I agree. A lightning bolt is actually composed of a series of strikes. I think that might account for the appearance. Here's another with a lot of detail. Though different.

I think you would also have to agree to the exact opposite. In this case, the electrical charge seems to have had a near-perfect conductor, the water column. No need for the bolt to zig-zag to follow the best path to ground when it has a virtual straight line to follow.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
reply to post by OrphenFire

generally you can tell if it is photoshopped. But as an avid user of photoshop I can say this is genuine.

Sigh. If an 'avid' Photoshop user believes he can always spot a PS job, on a non-full-res image, then it simply shows he needs to get more avid...

FTR, I don't see any obvious photoshopping, but I know how I *would* do it if I had to.

I don't think it is a water spout, for all the reasons posted above, but here's one more. Think about it - if a bloody great bolt of millions of volts came pummeling down through WATER, what do you think would happen to that WATER? Keep its nice neat shape...? And as many have pointed out, waterspouts just DON'T look like that, anyway.

To me, my best guess is that TWO strikes occurred in that 1/8 sec..
One that was 'slow' (yes, strikes do come in different speeds), and was motion blurred sideways to give the 'spout', and then one much brighter and faster strike, following the first path almost exactly (as they do). That second strike was the one that provided most of the light, and the reasonably sharp silhouette.

Just a theory..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Amazing to see that so many people are apparently experts on photoshop and photography in general on ATS. And that they have the ability to analyze a scanned picture in such great detail.

Also it's great that people can still trust each other to be genuine by the look on their face and the amount of other work they've produced.

I just see a scanned pic with a lightning bolt.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Pure water is an insulator. Look it up.

[edit on 26/5/10 by Astyanax]

How many lakes and Oceans have Pure Water?
You need to distill the water or use another method to take all the mineral contents out of it, which is what makes it conductive if memory serves. I know they use Distilled water for submerged computer cooling. Kinda a cool fun trick, but useless in a end user application, other then the cool factor.

Im thinking this picture is camera shake. One way to tell, would be to look at the upper right of the original, at the other lightning strike and see if it has the same characteristics, but in a smaller scale.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join