It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish with Hands Discovered, But Species Face Extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
www.treehugger.com...

These fish, pardon the pun, need a hand. There are 14 species of fish with hand-like fins. And nine are in danger of extinction. Don't you hate it when you discover something amazing, only to find out that it's almost gone? Even though Endangered Species Day was just a few days ago, it's always amazing to learn of new species that are endangered.

Such is the case here. CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in Australia, says nine new species of handfish are described in research that says there's an urgent need to better understand and protect the diversity of life in our oceans. The Pink Handfish, shown above, is one of the newly named species. It's known from only four specimens and was last recorded off the Tasman Peninsula in 1999.

"Handfishes are small, often strikingly patterned or colourful, sedentary fish that tend to 'walk' on the seabed on hand-like fins, rather than swim," according to Daniel Gledhill, a taxonomist with the CSIRO Wealth from Oceans Flagship.

"Fifty million-years ago, they 'walked' the world's oceans, but now they exist only off eastern and southern Australia."

What's going on? Peter Last from CSIRO says handfish are extremely vulnerable to environmental change, including introduced species, pollution, siltation, fishing, sea-temperature rise and coastal development.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Never have I seen such amazing fish!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Save the fish wih hands!! thanks for the link OP

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Double post! sorry!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by BlackHoleSun267]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Personally I prefer blob fish,

but still, its criminal what we do to this world

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

I agree. We should fight capitalism with capitalism. Which I mean we should star buying green!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Incredible find, never seen these species before, and to think they are on the endangered list...... truly sad!

Nice Find

p.s I'm never eating Fish Fingers again!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

Amen brother. Another great way to stick it to the man!

top topics

join