It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are going to say something is Unconstitutional...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
at least tell us what part of the Constitution you are talking about.

I know there are a lot of controversies surrounding how the Constitution can be interpreted and that reasonable minds can differ. I have seen several people say something is "unconstitutional" and have no basis for their assertions.

For example, read one poster say monopolies are unconstitutional. While there are federal anti-trust laws that limit the legality of monopolies, monopolies are not always illegal let alone unconstitutional. For example, your local utility company has a legal monopoly on electricity in your area. The Constitution actually explicitly endorses monopolies. For example, it grants Congress the authority to grant patent holders and copyright holders limited monopolies over their works. (See Article I, Section 8- Congress has the power to give Authors and Inventors "the exclusive right to their respective Writings and Discoveries").

Just because you find something offensive or unfair, it does not mean that thing is unconstitutional.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
you will have many armchair judges here on ATS tell you that any law ever written is unconstitutional. They truly believe that the constitution spells out everything you could ever need to protect society and that all other laws are superfluous and violations of the constitution.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Its okay to be an armchair judge. If I were to blame somebody for being an armchair judge, then I would have to flame myself. But if you are going to be an armchair judge, at least back your opinion with reasons that have some basis in the Constitution.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by Aggie Man

Its okay to be an armchair judge. If I were to blame somebody for being an armchair judge, then I would have to flame myself. But if you are going to be an armchair judge, at least back your opinion with reasons that have some basis in the Constitution.

If Glenn Beck tells me it's unconstitutional, then gal-dang it, it's unconstitutional!

/sarcasm

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
IMO, it doesn't matter what the constitution says. Ultimately 9 judges will determine what is constitutional or not.

However, I do love debates when people are arguing about what is constitutional or not. And providing what part of the constitution makes a law constitutional or not would be beneficial. Just adds to the amount of information a person can learn.

In many cases, many people merely spit out what the MSM is saying or are just saying something is unconstitutional because it fits their agenda. Not much debate when this is the case.

top topics

join